Ovation?

On 8/21/2020 at 9:05 AM, StevenL757 said:

@rightforlineup, Simple, really.

• Fly the airplane every week or more frequently and switch batteries each flight (and you'll avoid having to buy a Battery Minder)
  • On a 310HP-equipped Ovation, take off at 2700RPM, cruise 2550RPM (2500RPM for non-310 airplanes)
  • Fly it LOP
  • Ensure you have the three things that make up the best ignition system possible on this engine...
    • Bendix mags
    • Gold Seal ignition harness
    • Iridium finewire plugs
  • Energizer starter (no Sky-Tec)
  • Buy a Reiff preheat system if you don't already have one
  • Do not have your mechanic "wash" the engine at annual or any other time

There's more, but those are staples to get you started.

Steve

Steve

What is the logic behind "Do not have your mechanic "wash" the engine at annual or any other time"  ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Little Dipper said:

Steve

What is the logic behind "Do not have your mechanic "wash" the engine at annual or any other time"  ?

Good question.  Some mechanics feel differently, but applying cleaners or solvents under pressure to the entire engine isn’t the wisest way to clean the engine.  It can likely introduce fluids into areas that fluids shouldn’t be.  This engine has just over 700 hours on it, and has been cleaned with nothing other than mineral spirits and paper towels.

A9FCD9FF-8F7A-4A8B-99BD-03E8FD384B2A.jpeg

6 minutes ago, hypertech said:

True story. I had a couple come loose on the ground so they have all been reglued. It really should get more attention because it’s an expensive mess if they come off in flight. 

I had one come off in flight. There is a 1/8 tube attached to the strip that connects to the rest of the system. Mine came off and flopped on top of the wing held on by the tube. 

I had the slowest, smoothest approach and landing I ever had as I didn’t want it to fall in the ocean. 

they are several thousand each I am told. 

16 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Good question.  Some mechanics feel differently, but applying cleaners or solvents under pressure to the entire engine isn’t the wisest way to clean the engine.  It can likely introduce fluids into areas that fluids shouldn’t be.  This engine has just over 700 hours on it, and has been cleaned with nothing other than mineral spirits and paper towels.

It may be an illusion, but look at how much angle the mounted engine appears. I know there is/are some degrees of angle engineered into the mounts for P Factor, I just didn't know how visual it is. 

39 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

It may be an illusion, but look at how much angle the mounted engine appears. I know there is/are some degrees of angle engineered into the mounts for P Factor, I just didn't know how visual it is. 

You were correct with your first few words....................... :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Uuuuuuuuummmmmm.......................I love that sight !!!

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2020 at 8:15 PM, milotron said:

I had one come off in flight. There is a 1/8 tube attached to the strip that connects to the rest of the system. Mine came off and flopped on top of the wing held on by the tube. 

I had the slowest, smoothest approach and landing I ever had as I didn’t want it to fall in the ocean. 

they are several thousand each I am told. 

I lost one and paid 3k for the part.

On 8/21/2020 at 1:20 PM, Bentonck said:

I just had a 2nd mag failure on my Acclaim in about 100 hours.  The first time I went to run up on the runway and the left mag was just dead.  It was the cap and after a glue job it was fixed.  I flew last week and after I got up to altitude and went to lean the engine the EGT went off the gauge on the G1000 and flashed the red x (#2 cylinder) and the engine started misfiring.  I had flown up to altitude through IMC and it was at night so I decided that a rich mixture and a quick landing were the order of the day and proceeded accordingly.  I called my mechanic and he said it sounded like a mag (I thought it was likely a fuel issue) ... so they pulled the mags again, and off to the shop they went.  They came back yesterday and were reinstalled and the plane is running again, weather is bad and it runs find on ground but am not going to fly (or likely tomorrow) but after this I am ready to try a electronic module in exchange for one of my mags.  I have quoted it and will likely give it shot......the mags have not been friendly to me.  I got my plane back from a 100hr three weeks ago and since picking it up it would not run lean at hardly at all......after much discussion it seems a consensus here that it's an ignition issue... we seem to have hijacked the FIKI thread but anyway...

not my intent to make it a FIKI thread - no hijack.  More Ovation general.  

On 8/23/2020 at 1:32 PM, MooneyMitch said:

Don't know about those...............is the angle quite noticeable?

On the Missile it's a greater offset for the mid-body with the larger engine. And it works really well. I need more rudder on an M20J 200HP takeoff than I do with a M20J 300HP takeoff.

-Seth

• Thanks 2