WTB: A Rare Commodity

5 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Have you contacted Vantage Plane Plastics? They have a lot more than they show on their site. I had 4 pieces in hand 5 days after a phone call

Thank you Robert.

Per vantageassoc. web site, no parts available for 1963 M20D, s/n 121. I attempted "contact" via vantageassoc. web site without success.  3 locations listed.  I'll try a phone call. 

All suggestions that have been offered is much appreciated.  Thank you.

This part can be made from fiberglass as a free-hand lay-up even if you do not have an original.  To give you an example of what is possible, the pictured part is a free-hand lay-up part for my F for the wheelwell cover.  You can start with modeling clay, wood, styrofoam, anything that gives you a starting shape.  Then sand, cut and re-fiberglass as needed.  

Your final part (if you make an initial model and use it as a mold) should be made from flame retardant fiberglass resin.

John Breda

IMG_3009.JPG

• Like 2

On 8/22/2020 at 6:25 AM, M20F-1968 said:

This part can be made from fiberglass as a free-hand lay-up even if you do not have an original.  To give you an example of what is possible, the pictured part is a free-hand lay-up part for my F for the wheelwell cover.  You can start with modeling clay, wood, styrofoam, anything that gives you a starting shape.  Then sand, cut and re-fiberglass as needed.  

Your final part (if you make an initial model and use it as a mold) should be made from flame retardant fiberglass resin.

John Breda

IMG_3009.JPG

Thank you.

My 65 had some interesting rings....

One on the door handle...

Two on the sidewalls at the air vents in the back seats... all bent and mangled...

They were the flimsiest thermoformed rings of ABS that could ever be made...

I don’t know what adorned the fuel tank selector switch... but, it was probably gone before I put a new carpet in place...

Check the air drain in the floor of the baggage compartment... it probably had one there too... just didn’t last past 1966, or the first flight whichever came first....  :)

So... as a rule... in 65, all round holes seemed to get a decorative ring to adorn it...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

My 63 had a ring.

On 8/24/2020 at 8:10 AM, orionflt said:

62 to maybe 64 did not rings. the carpet was just bound around the hole for the selector. 

Brian

“First you say you do, and then you don’t...... then you say you will, and then you won’t “..........

Did they have a ring, or didn’t they have a ring ? 

Hmmmmm....... I’m Undecided now . :lol:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

“First you say you do, and then you don’t...... then you say you will, and then you won’t “..........

Did they have a ring, or didn’t they have a ring ? 

Hmmmmm....... I’m Undecided now . :lol:

they did NOT have rings until after 64' if the fuel selector has been replaced with a newer style, they may have retroed the trim ring to fit.

Brian 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, orionflt said:

they did NOT have rings until after 64' if the fuel selector has been replaced with a newer style, they may have retroed the trim ring to fit.

Brian 

Thanks Brian.  Initially I was drew a template for the ring for a friend to fabricate with aluminum.  I put the project on the back burner and the flame went out :(..........I might give it another go.:D

There has got to be some standard aluminum anodized fancy rings available in standard sizes...

The ABS original ones were so fangled and gnarley after years in the heat....

Just don’t accidentally get one that jams the valve... :)

Best regards,

-a-