Initial break-in lubricant for turbo-normalized IO360 A1A

Question is about the lubricant to use for initial break-in of an overhauled to "0" time engine. The Lycoming guidance specifically says that for turbocharged (and I assume that includes turbo-normalized engines like mine) use mineral oil. In other places - including from the mechanic completing the engine overhaul - there are recommendations / statements about using other, ashless dispersant (AD) oils. Can the brain trust offer me some guidance based on your knowledge and experience?

You should see high CHTs and high oil temps for the first few hours until the rings break in. This sounds scarry, but it will give the best long term results. The temperatures should stabilize after about 2-5 hours. It is best to do this at high power settings. Just fly it around the pattern a few times and inspect the engine, if everything looks OK, go do a 4 hour out and back cross country. Your engine will love you for it. Your RaJay cares more about having oil than what kind it is.

4 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Just fly it around the pattern a few times and inspect the engine, if everything looks OK, go do a 4 hour out and back cross country. Your engine will love you for it. Your RaJay cares more about having oil than what kind it is.

Just did this almost exactly, in the same setup you are talking about Moonbat. Straight mineral oil, and also had Lycomings break in procedure page with. 

Phillips X/C 20/50  is designed for break-in and may be continued for the life of the engine.  With the RaJay you have a non-turbo charged engine that thinks it is at sea level all the time.  Add CamGuard when oil consumption stabilizes.

Fly it like you stole it while breaking it in.

John Breda

• Like 1

So when reading the Lycoming Service Instruction 1014 (Lubricating Oil Instructions) you're saying that I should consider my turbo-normalized engine as a normal (not turbo-charged) engine? If so, the instruction (D) says I should use straight mineral oil - no ashless dispersants and no other additives - for the first 50 hours. That is not the same as Phillips X/C 20/50, is it? 

image.thumb.png.1828050e74a547ec1375b1d820cbdaca.png

No matter what you pick...

Ask the mechanic that knows about your warranty....

Follow the instructions to not accidentally fall outside the warranty....

my warranty only lasted a few months... long enough to make it past break-in...

PP thoughts only,

-a-

• Like 1

Not a turbo-normalized engine, but had my IO360A1A overhauled last year and used Shell Mineral 100 for the first hours of break-in using Lycoming's procedures. Took a lot of discipline to monitor temps and make sure not to reduce power too aggressively and fly nowhere for hours. But after 15 hours, oil consumption stabilized and I have used Phillips66 20W50 ever since and consumption is at around one quart of oil every +/-20 hours, so well worth the extra care!

• Like 2