New member with new baby

Pierre07

Hi all,

I’m a “new” member, it’s my first post but I’ve been here a lot to find some info and I’m so grateful that all of you guys are there, it helped me a lot in my research.

Little bit more about me, I’m in the process of buying my first aircraft, Prebuy will be done next week (pictures attached 1981 231) it fits my mission perfectly which is to fly back and forth to CYSG (where I’m from) from KDYB (where I live now).

I’m a mechanical engineer and I moved to South Carolina 6 years ago for work (best move I’ve ever made), I’ve got my PPL last year and planning to get my Instrument rating in this airplane as soon as I can.

A lot of people are telling me I should start with a smaller one but it wouldn’t fit my mission and I don’t want to get one knowing I will change in couple years.

That’s about it!!

Thanks all again for answering lot of questions that likely lead me in the right direction!!

Pierre

28BB988C-7140-48E8-A1FB-0769866583F6.jpeg

609F11D0-AC73-4374-87AB-7291B6F0A1AB.jpeg

04A9FC8C-6B4A-4497-9F2E-052829082BBC.jpeg

78ACC5DC-DD8F-4910-B7A2-29F8FE42EAB1.jpeg

• Like 5

Thanks all for the comments, the paint job looks awesome and seems like it’s always been really well maintained.I used to belong to someone on here...

I’m really looking forward to have that prebuy done and fly it back home to call it mine and start my IFR process!!

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Pierre!

Great pics!

Have you lined up your transition training?

Some people will say...”A lot of people are telling me I should start with a smaller one“
Around MS,  that isn’t very helpful advice...

Around here, you might get some advice to help you get going in the right direction... or how to achieve your next level...

Just remember...  a 231 is a powerful tool... they have a few special ways to make an ordinary day... exciting... :)

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a- 

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard Pierre!

Great pics!

Have you lined up your transition training?

Some people will say...”A lot of people are telling me I should start with a smaller one“
Around MS,  that isn’t very helpful advice...

Around here, you might get some advice to help you get going in the right direction... or how to achieve your next level...

Just remember...  a 231 is a powerful tool... they have a few special ways to make an ordinary day... exciting... :)

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a- 

Thanks!!

And yes I did plan all my transition training. I was lucky enough to find a guy that own one and that used to own his flight school at my home airport.

But the best part of it is that it’s the same guy that I will share the hangar with!

already got a lot of advices from him and seem to be a really nice relationship beginning.

Edited by Pierre07
  • Like 2

It is certainly a beauty. Panel looks alot like mine and the paint is beautiful. The one important suggestion I will make is that if you are not familiar with turbo operations, you should get some transition training from someone who knows turbos before you even fly the plane once.  Normally aspirated techniques like leaning in the climb are really hard on turbos and can damage your new engine very quickly, yet that is what most instructors will teach you - things like “oversquare,” lean operations at full power, etc. Even many instructors who believe they know turbo ops, do not really, because they have been heavily influenced by outmoded concepts primarily developed for NA engines. You will love your bird once you know how to manage the engine, you are going to put your ME to good use.

Just now, Warren said:

Great looking plane.

I bought my 231 with about 65 hours and started in on instrument training.  It’s a great way to become a better pilot and learn your plane.

Have fun with your new toy.

Thanks a lot!!

I guess I will follow the same path as you as I have 65 hours right now.

I've been looking at everything I could find about them to be as best as possible.

And I think I have a pretty good transition training plan with my instructor.

But it will be a ton of learning for sure!

• Like 1

Congrats!

I was actually going to call this guy and see if I could go see it. If you end up buying it, could I maybe have a look at it when you come to pick it up? It's been a while since I've been in a M20K and since I'm exploring the idea of one, I'd like to see one that's nearby.

1 hour ago, LevelWing said:

Congrats!

I was actually going to call this guy and see if I could go see it. If you end up buying it, could I maybe have a look at it when you come to pick it up? It's been a while since I've been in a M20K and since I'm exploring the idea of one, I'd like to see one that's nearby.

Thanks!!

And sure if we can make something fit when I go pick it up, it'll be a pleasure.

And if we can't make it at that time, we can schedule something a little later, Charleston/Miami is really not that far in a mooney :) 

• Like 1