Aileron deflection with rudder input

Derek

Is any amount of Aileron deflection on rudder application normal?

Noticed this happening in my run up checks. The yoke rotates maybe 10 degrees with full rudder deflection.

Never noticed it before (but maybe it was there). Now I'm really wondering if this isn't normal how the heck I never noticed it if it isn't a brand new issue.

I'm in a J 201 MSE.

Thanks!

52 minutes ago, EricJ said:

There are interconnect springs between the rudder and ailerons on J and other models.

It's my understanding that this is why the "J" is easily a feet on the floor during cruise and cruise turns.

1 hour ago, Derek said:

Is any amount of Aileron deflection on rudder application normal?

Noticed this happening in my run up checks. The yoke rotates maybe 10 degrees with full rudder deflection.

Never noticed it before (but maybe it was there). Now I'm really wondering if this isn't normal how the heck I never noticed it if it isn't a brand new issue.

I'm in a J 201 MSE.

Thanks!

Yeah, it took me a year to notice too.  Don’t feel bad.

Next time you’re moving it on the ground with your hand towbar, turn the nose wheel full deflection and look at all the control surfaces.

Just now, ArtVandelay said:

You do know the tail wheel guys will be rolling their eyes when they read that ?

Just as I was typing....but I agree it is the two sided rudder input I am keen on not a frozen right leg for an extra 3kts cruise :D

49 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Yeah, it took me a year to notice too.  Don’t feel bad.

I found it in the PoH. I must have not absorbed that when reading about the systems.

7-3 "A spring-loaded interconnect device indirectly joins the aileron and rudder control systems to assist in lateral stability during flight maneuvers."

Embarrassing, but still glad I asked!

• Like 1

Don't feel bad - back when I was flying up north, a friend of mine who was flying for another charter service ended up at the same small remote airport as I was, holding for passengers. 

He was flying a Navajo, and had just done his PPC on it, which included a ground school. This was one of his first single pilot trips. 

He parks and tells me that he thinks something is wrong with the Navajo, because when he moves the rudders he notices the control column moves. I, never having flown a Navajo, said that sounded odd. I guess he called back to base and raised this with one of the mechanics, who wasn't familiar with Navajos, and dispatch decided to send a second plane out to inspect this one, and bring the passengers back. 

I am sure that he got his ass chewed out by the Chief Pilot for the extra costs, and not being familiar with the POH on the aircraft he was just type rated on...

• Like 1

With the Mooney, it is hard to push the rudder pedals back and forth to see the bungees in motion...

The ground resistance is too high....

Might be able to see it better while up on jacks with the gear down...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic....

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1