GI275 for KI256 but not HSI

Seth

6 hours ago, jetdriven said:

My friend has a KFC 150 with 2-275s and it does altitude preselect and capture. It also has the flight Director. If you're trying to do GPSS with the KFC 150 that comes from the HSI version, while you will either have to get another one for your attitude or use the mechanical attitude.

Not quite true - as far as I know the GI-275's do not support altitude preselect / VSI / capture etc.  You need to retain the KAS297 and an encoder to drive the KFC150 altitude select and hold.  The GI-275 does provide the baro correction to the KFC150.

Aerodon

On 2/25/2021 at 6:30 PM, Seth said:

So new twist . . . I'm in the process of acquiring an excellent condition used Mid Continent lifesaver electric gyro with battery backup.

This will go in my turn and bank indicator position for now. With all the other upgrades to my airplane recently (another thread about to be posted), I'm holding off on the GI275 for now.

The lifesaver will serve as my panel backup to my KI256 and vacuum pump.

However, should the KI256 go or the vacuum pump go, I'll install a single GI275 to drive the King AP and also so I can remove my vacuum pump and standby vac system.

The question still remains, with a single GI275 and my then lifesaver mid-continent in the panel, I don't need dual GI275's. 

What I do want is GPSS. So, is there a unit that is less that an GI275 that can either be the HSI or allow the king 525 HSI to have GPSS steering send to the GI275.

Of course, I'll weight the cost of adding all that other stuff and install vs the second GI275 (and then selling maybe selling the Mid-Continent).

If I can make it work with one GI275 and something inexpensive that will drive GPSS, then I'll be fine with a single GI275 and the lifesaver. This also will allow me to at some point upgrade to a GX3 or G500TXI depending on how the King AP is doing years down the line. The GI275 would then serve as the backup. Likely, it would be when the AP gets to the point of big dollars, I'd replace with a GNC500 and the GX3 would be installed. Or just the AP first as the GI275 can drive it.

So . . . again . . . what is the most inexpensive way to drive GPSS to the GI275 without a second GI275 as I'll have the mid continent lifesaver already installed in the aircraft as a backup gyro.

Thanks!

-Seth

Seth,

Respectfully, I think you are on the wrong track.  There is an often underestimated cost in moving instruments around, cutting and painting a panel to fit etc.  By the time you are finished with the Mid Continent Gyro, moving stuff around, etc., you will end up with a panel that looks 'unbalanced' and is probably no more reliable or functional than you have now. And you might save $1k over 2 GI275's.

Garmin have (had) a special on buying a pair of 275's, you can get adaptor plates to directly fit into the KI256 and KI525 holes.  You will get the GPSS you want, a really good interface and compatibility between the 2 GI-275s.  And you will remove a bunch of weight too.

Communicate with Erik Bolt on this to get real pricing and feedback,  he went around this circle too, and I suspect he has no regrets.

I started with 1 GI275 and a Sandel SN3308, quickly got talked into a pair of 275's.  Then scope creep elevated me to a used G500 with 1 GI275 backup.

Aerodon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Aerodon said:

Seth,

Respectfully, I think you are on the wrong track.  There is an often underestimated cost in moving instruments around, cutting and painting a panel to fit etc.  By the time you are finished with the Mid Continent Gyro, moving stuff around, etc., you will end up with a panel that looks 'unbalanced' and is probably no more reliable or functional than you have now. And you might save $1k over 2 GI275's.

Garmin have (had) a special on buying a pair of 275's, you can get adaptor plates to directly fit into the KI256 and KI525 holes.  You will get the GPSS you want, a really good interface and compatibility between the 2 GI-275s.  And you will remove a bunch of weight too.

Communicate with Erik Bolt on this to get real pricing and feedback,  he went around this circle too, and I suspect he has no regrets.

I started with 1 GI275 and a Sandel SN3308, quickly got talked into a pair of 275's.  Then scope creep elevated me to a used G500 with 1 GI275 backup.

Aerodon

Yup - no regrets!  Love my pair of GI275.  LOVE it.  BTW - Erik Bollt w two l's.

E

20 hours ago, Aerodon said:

Not quite true - as far as I know the GI-275's do not support altitude preselect / VSI / capture etc.  You need to retain the KAS297 and an encoder to drive the KFC150 altitude select and hold.  The GI-275 does provide the baro correction to the KFC150.

Aerodon

You are correct.  We have to manually level off at the altitude and hit ALT.

• 6 months later...
On 3/19/2022 at 5:48 PM, base698 said:

Anyone had one installed?  Were there any big complications?  I bought a KI300 and ended up getting a refund for it when the service bulletin came up, so have been hoping for a way to get rid of vacuum system.

ThEre are bazillions of G5s and GI275s around here…

Take your pick…

The only serious issue was buying a plane that had them installed… the back-up situation was not set up as expected… one device failed and both screens gave Xs… in IMC.

Knowing what you get or need for options is important… additional boxes may be needed for certain functions…

important for connecting up the various big screens and APs…

Best regards,

-a-