First M20J - Seattle

Intrepid Flys

6 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

A very common affliction around here.  Some are forced to another brand by mission change, but most remain fiercely adamant about brand "M".

the value proposition is unmatched.  Fast and efficient.  Seems an obvious flaw in the market, that they offer more plane for less $$.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, carusoam said:

There are two places to find Mooney CFIIs…

And the MooneyFlyer…

Hopefully you live close to one of these CFIIs…

Even the military takes time to educate their pilots to a safe level….

Best regards,

-a-

I didn't mean to sound terse.  I'm just decided on my course of action.  Spending a bunch of dough learning to fly cessnas at Galvin (or someplace) just doesn't appeal (already done the analysis....to death).  neither does spending the next however long (also inefficient). 

My aim is to take delivery of my plane in the next couple of weeks, and get in it for ~40 hours with in instructor over the course of a couple of weeks.  (please spare the commentary anyone might have.  it does work.  Before you respond, ask yourself this:  Ever met a black belt who got there on a couple of hours a couple of times per week?  I never have.  All the bad ass fighters i've ever met in my life were in the gym all day everyday honing their skills.)

And that's the approach i aim to take:  All day everyday until once again "a punch is just a punch, and a kick is just a kick" (Bruce Lee.  Google it for reference.)

Edited by WillyG.206

11 minutes ago, WillyG.206 said:

I didn't mean to sound terse.  I'm just decided on my course of action.  Spending a bunch of dough learning to fly cessnas at Galvin (or someplace) just doesn't appeal (already done the analysis....to death).  neither does spending the next however long (also inefficient). 

My aim is to take delivery of my plane in the next couple of weeks, and get in it for ~40 hours with in instructor over the course of a couple of weeks.  (please spare the commentary anyone might have.  it does work.  Before you respond, ask yourself this:  Ever met a black belt who got there on a couple of hours a couple of times per week?  I never have.  All the bad ass fighters i've ever met in my life were in the gym all day everyday honing their skills.)

Unfortunately, all I know about black belts… to make dough, own the gym.

Most of the people I see in the gym everyday… are doing physical therapy… :)  (Yes I did say everyday… didn’t I)

The challenge with martial arts… it has physical limitations… kind of limiting when over 30years old…

The nice thing about flying… many have been flying Mooneys into their 80s… and one was flying his Mooney on his 100th birthday…

When asking people to spare their commentary… it generally works against you.

If you look close enough… you can find out the qualities of the people offering their advice…

Some have been here for more than a decade… some are the CFIs you are looking for…

There is an ignore button… people like to use it…

MS is a relatively small community…

:)

Best regards,

-a-

Don’t mean to be a party pooper, but those of you who are still student pilots intending to buy a Mooney to finish training in will have a rude awakening with insurances. Unless you’re self insured, most if not all insurances won’t insure a student pilot. My plane partner had that predicament when we bought the Mooney and we’re still fighting them to get him insured 

i'm holding quotes from BWI, Avemco, and someone sourced through AOPA.  The difference between waiting till after i have a PPL or insuring as a student is a few thousand per year.  Doesn't change the calculus.  (that's <15 hours in a far inferior plane, whereas a mooney will burn ~8/gph going slow)  

Fun fact:  The best way to bring your premium down with Avemco is hours.  The sooner one gets to 80 hours in type, the faster the rate goes down.  Why wait till later to start collecting those?

Edited by WillyG.206
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Welcome aboard new AdverseYaw!

We have another AY around here I haven’t seen in a while…. He is one of the point people for the Mooney Formators… 

Sooo if you get asked questions about formation flying in a Mooney… now you know why!

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard new AdverseYaw!

We have another AY around here I haven’t seen in a while…. He is one of the point people for the Mooney Formators… 

Sooo if you get asked questions about formation flying in a Mooney… now you know why!

Best regards,

-a-

I've already had another person say the same haha. I guess I am due for a name change.

5 minutes ago, Adverseyaw0317 said:

I've already had another person say the same haha. I guess I am due for a name change.

I was going to send the other AY a note, to just be aware…

But, it looks like he has evacuated the space…

Formation flight is interesting, but it gets enough blow back as unsafe… the formators have gone to another forum for those discussions…

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, Adverseyaw0317 said:

Well if all goes well looks like I will be the new owner of this bird. Anyone know a good A&P around Sequim? @amillet maybe you know someone?

Welcome. No A&Ps in Sequim.  John Rollston used to be on field but now works for Rite Brothers Aviation in Port Angeles.  He has done work on our J in the past.