Failing KI256 - get an overhaul or used?

alexz

Looks like KI256 which is part of KFC150 autopilot is becoming sticky and slow, wonder if it is worth to send it for an overhaul or buy used one?

Potentially planing to upgrade to GI275, but if there is decent option to overhaul/used I'll probably take that route.

Thank you. 

Looks like KI256 which is part of KFC150 autopilot is becoming sticky and slow, wonder if it is worth to send it for an overhaul or buy used one?
Potentially planing to upgrade to GI275, but if there is decent option to overhaul/used I'll probably take that route.
Thank you. 

Imho not worth it given the expense to not just do the GI275 now. When my KI256 has to be overhauled again it’s instant GI275 for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, alexz said:

Thank you. 

This is the most opportune time to upgrade to GI275 ADHRS+AP. Think of it this way: Costwise you’re half way there so you’re getting the upgrade at ~50% discount!

• Like 2

Used units are only bringing a few hundred on the used market. If you have time to find a good one (like a recent Bramble overhaul) for that amount I’d consider going that way. Otherwise if you’re just buying a random one off an auction it might be a frustrating path. The 256 can last 100’s or 1000’s of hours and is very economical to run right now with all the almost free units available. I would avoid spending the money to overhaul your unit. 

• Like 1

Unless you want to do the 275 I would get an overhaul from Bob Bramble rather than buy on eBay.  I bought a used KG-258 on eBay that had just been overhauled by Bob 30 hrs before it was removed from the sellers plane.  Something may have happened in shipping and the unit was inop when my avionics shop tried to install.  Fortunately, the seller happened to be a fellow Mooney owner and he instantly refunded my money (although I was out shop time).  I believe Bobs price on the Kg-258 is $1500.  I’m not sure about the cost for the KI-256..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexz said:

Thank you. 

Hi Alexz,  Is yoru KI256 hopelessly inop right now and you need a solution asap?  I am in throws of negotiating a glass avionics install and I should have a date shortly - hopefully for about a month from now,  Anyway, I have a relatively recently overhauled KI256 which Bob Bramble did for me (highly recommend him) with about 125 hrs since OH which I will be looking to sell.  Likely at the screamin' deal level.  pm me if interested.

E

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 8:01 AM, gsengle said:

Imho not worth it given the expense to not just do the GI275 now. When my KI256 has to be overhauled again it’s instant GI275 for me.

Me too, when mine needs to be overhauled it's immediate GI275.  if not before so I can sell a working KI256. 

You an also take Erik's deal and extend a bit longer.

-Seth

Edited by Seth
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 8:01 AM, gsengle said:

I said that on my last overhaul.  Sadly, it started to fail again but I also had to upgrade to a JPI 900 as my OilP transducer failed.  From about '86 on they put in a different transducer which is not supported and impossible to find so I was left with an upgrade, which I love by the way.  So, I've now said it again, the next time it fails, i'm going solid state.