Where to get O2 Around Socal

Niko182

I know this question has been asked around on this forum before, but I am trying everything to get my 22CF O2 bottle filled. I have looked at ACI Jet and Atlantic at my airport and was told it would be a wonderful 232 dollars to fill up the bottle plus at least an hour billed for a mechanic. I am really not trying to pay near a quarter of a grand to fill up my bottle. Does anyone have a quick term solution. I will be flying to bend in 2 weeks and would really like to be able to fill up the bottle. I have tried welding shops, scuba places, and it just a nightmare. Why does it have to be so F***ing hard to get an portable oxygen bottle filled. I have a tiedown so I don't have anywhere to store large O2 tanks to refill my portable bottle. Any help would be appreciated.

I tried getting my emergency O2 certificate so I could fill it at a scuba shop, but the place I'm trying to do it keeps on rescheduling. I am in SOCAL so if anyone knows a place to do so, I would be grateful.

Thanks Nik

15 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

I know this question has been asked around on this forum before, but I am trying everything to get my 22CF O2 bottle filled. I have looked at ACI Jet and Atlantic at my airport and was told it would be a wonderful 232 dollars to fill up the bottle plus at least an hour billed for a mechanic. I am really not trying to pay near a quarter of a grand to fill up my bottle. Does anyone have a quick term solution. I will be flying to bend in 2 weeks and would really like to be able to fill up the bottle. I have tried welding shops, scuba places, and it just a nightmare. Why does it have to be so F***ing hard to get an portable oxygen bottle filled. I have a tiedown so I don't have anywhere to store large O2 tanks to refill my portable bottle. Any help would be appreciated.

I tried getting my emergency O2 certificate so I could fill it at a scuba shop, but the place I'm trying to do it keeps on rescheduling. I am in SOCAL so if anyone knows a place to do so, I would be grateful.

Thanks Nik

What type of tank do you have?  I normally just take my portable tank to Norco- I want to say my last fill was 25 or 30 bucks.

medical grade vs aviation grade sparks quite a debate.... I’ll steer clear of that.

edit: just realized that Norco is only the pacnw.  See Paul’s comments below though- same idea- and yes, expect to swap tanks.  I do this for CO2 for beer brewing/carbonization as well.

Edited by M016576

Try any of the local gas suppliers like Airgas.com.
Avoid the Rx hassle by saying you want ABO, they’ll know it’s not a welding tank. Normally they sell gas by exchanging tanks so expect to drop it off. But I’ve never bought it like this so not sure what their policy will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Try any of the local gas suppliers like Airgas.com.
Avoid the Rx hassle by saying you want ABO, they’ll know it’s not a welding tank. Normally they sell gas by exchanging tanks so expect to drop it off. But I’ve never bought it like this so not sure what their policy will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whats ABO?

1 hour ago, Niko182 said:

Thanks Nik

I got filled up at a shop at Torrance.  It was something stupid cheap, like $20, to fill up my portable bottle.  They will charge more if the bottle is on the plane, but should beat the 232/fill you got quoted.  

I think it was Solano Aviation.  They were in the hangars near the west end of the airport, around taxiway C.  

well I talked to a scuba place and this time showed them my CPL. This time they agreed to do it. And for 17 bucks. I am glad its finally done. If they dont allow me to do it next time I will go to solano. That seems like a decent plan B.

• Like 1

I think the best long term answer is for several guys to get together and set up a transfilling operation and share the costs. Even if some of them are a short distance away, it would work, and you would get the fun of hangar-flying with your buddies.

• Like 2

Just now, ragedracer1977 said:

I just got my 78cuft tank filled for $55 at north Las Vegas.  Not the best deal, but didn’t seem terrible for them to go out to the lane to do it on the ramp in 110 degree weather.

sounds like a smokin' hot deal to me! $90 is the about the cheapest I ever hear about these days. But I never need to buy O2 in the US either since I fill my own.

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

sounds like a smokin' hot deal to me! $90 is the about the cheapest I ever hear about these days. But I never need to buy O2 in the US either since I fill my own.

I'll get set up to fill my own, but for now I'm stuck paying.  When I asked and they said $55, I jumped on it lol

4 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I just got my 78cuft tank filled for $55 at north Las Vegas.  Not the best deal, but didn’t seem terrible for them to go out to the plane to do it on the ramp in 110 degree weather.

That’s a long drive from SoCal to fill a bottle though. Youll spend your savings on gas.  

-Robert