FBO at Chicago Executive

TGreen

I’d say there’s two FBOs and a Signature as well...... My friend keeps his plane at Atlantic. He’s very happy and I’ve always had good treatment there.  I’d call for their rates.  I’d guess Atlantic is somewhat reasonable for that field.  Where are you going in the area, DPA is further from there but a nice place too.

• Like 1

I've used Atlantic in the past - though it may have been named something different. It's the on on the west side of the field. Been relatively happy each time. Nothing outstanding, nothing that caused me to shy away. It's a big city field and very busy. Probably second busiest GA airport I've ever operated out of (Teterboro is #1).

The amenities are nice - good space, fine waiting areas, pilot quiet room - I'd give it a 4/5 on interior amenities/space/freshness. Nothing is run down. They do take care of you there.

I was there in 2009, 2010, 2013, 2017, 2018, and 2019. In 2017 and 2018 it was a stop the night before I went to Oshkosh as I stayed with my brother the night before who has a place near there.

-Seth

Edited by Seth
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great trip, thanks for asking. Was dropping my son off for college. He just got his private so he did most of the work. I insisted on doing landings since it's a big transition from a C172. First hop KSNA to Double Eagle in Albuquerque. Then on to Kansas City for the night. Cool downtown. Never been. Next  morning a quick hop to Chicago. On the advice of M20F, we went to Schaumburg, 06C. Perfect spot, just had to duck below the Bravo (was kinda expecting to get cleared through).

On the way home, did it in on day, two hops. Probably  mistake. Spent the afternoon getting bumped around and dodging build ups in New Mexico and Arizona. Should have called it a day around 1 pm. Lesson learned. And a great trip.

3 hours ago, Nick Pilotte said:

Sounds like a perfect use of an Ovation too.  

....unless you need to depart IFR.  Maybe not so bad now with the reduced flow out of ORD, but in normal times, there were indefinitedelays getting a release, esp if ORD was departing West.

-dan

Edited by exM20K

• 10 months later...
3 hours ago, wdeninger said:

Good Day,

I'm searching for an M20M owner out of KPWK that could introduce me to their plane.  I'm hoping to purchase one within the next year and would like to become more familiar with the flight characteristics, handling and maintenance costs.

-William of Northbrook

William,

I keep an Acclaim at Naper Aero Club (LL10).  MX costs are unsurprising, figure TCO in the $200/hour range if you fly enough and can find reasonable hangar space.  Flying characters are very nice, not as you might read on the interwebs… Things you should research:

• Can you get a hangar?  PWK is tough, and these planes shouldn’t be left outside.
  • Is there qualified MX on or near where you will base the plane.  There’s a Mooney service center at Schaumburg that I’ve never used but not because I’ve heard bad things.
  • Will the fit you and your 80% pax load?
  • is getting in and out, especially the back seats, ok for you?
  • Is the visibility out the front satisfactory? Other than a handful of G1000 and “DX” units, these planes have a tall panel.

other than the panel height, I can probably help you assess room, ingress and egress, etc.

Im in Florida at the moment but should be back up that way Wednesday.  Shoot me a PM with your contact info if you’d like to sit in the acclaim 

-Dan

Welcome aboard William!

Use a modicum of discretion with your approach….  :)

I once sat in an M20C…. Went for a ride, bought it…

A decade passed…

I sat in an M20R… Went for a ride, bought it…. :)

Sitting in an Acclaim would make both my wallet and my Ovation nervous…. :)

The M20M is one of the best traveling machines on and off the planet!

Take Dan up on his offer…

Go for it!

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-