Instrument Panel Switch Replacement

They are carling switches. $12 each.

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/carling-technologies/vdb1a80b-00000-000/71672314/

Probably won't last as long as the Klixon, but for the price you can change them every few decades.

https://www.carlingtech.com/rocker-switches-v-series-ii-iii

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 1

This is great! I would have thought they would list the CBs along with the switch in the IPC, at least as a reference. Wondering where the CBs go in the M20U. Looking for a pattern or design to mimic for my plane in the future.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally some good news. After many months the switches have been manufactured and are currently being laser etched. Should have them in a week or so. Just in time for the new panel. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

They are slightly wider than Klixon but unfortunately will not work with the bus bar. They have an adapter that you could group the new switches into then expand the Klixon holes to make it work in a original panel. But the backend with all the electrical connections would need to be redone. In my case new panel and new CB panel will be the easiest. Even with having to do the bulk order of 30 switches they were just north of $800 so less than 2 Klixon.   I’ll have extra locking and priming switches if anyone is interested in doing the same.  Once the panel starts to come together I’ll post more pics. 

• Like 2

As a side note I’ve also worked with a 3D print guy to make a version of the KFC trim switch housing that fits the new garmin trim switch and BK autopilot disconnect button. I’ll get pictures of that soon too.

Edited by Lois
Good coaching.

16 hours ago, Lois said:

I misspoke autopilot disconnect. 

For cleanliness… if you want…

You can edit your post…

At the top of each post you write… is a menu.   Click the three dots looking icon… “…”

You proved you are human…

:)

Best regards,

-a-

24 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

Heel brakes?

No, just funny shaped pedals I guess. Mine had dual puck Cleveland’s, meaning of course dual piston calipers which are twice the brake as usual, but you needed them for Bushwheels as the big tires reduce braking action greatly as per each revolution you cover much more distance

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Was the EI MVP50 a common install for the Maule crowd?

Nice instrument, nicer company, than the competition…

Best regards,

-a-

No, I Picked the MVP-50T for the then new GE H-80 turboprop, as it was really a Modernized Walter the only available instruments were strangely marked in units no US crop duster had ever heard of and had Cryllic writing on them, and looked like old tractor instruments. Pressures in kilopaschals and torque in Newton Meters or who know what the units were truthfully, they weren’t  going to go over well.

Going to the MVP allowed me to write torque limits etc in percent instead of ft lbs or kilopaschals etc. Knowing your at 95% and 100% is max is more intuitive than knowing your at 52.3 PSI torque and 58.7 is max. MVP has set up menus where you can tell it 58.7 lbs = 100% and makes things like that dead easy. Of course for an install in a Certified aircraft the installer isn’t allowed to do those kinds of things, but an OEM or an Experimental install has a little more leniency.

I worked with Rob Roberts who owns EI and got the MVP Certified on our aircraft, we were the first Certified aircraft to offer the MVP. We were buying I’d guess three a month, a few people who had fleets wanted the old instrumentation for their P&W or Garrett powered Thrushes, but most wanted the MVP.

Of course once we were offering it, the Air Tractor folks had to also, and as they built many more aircraft than we did EI was selling I’m pretty sure a lot of MVP’s

So when I decided to put one in the Maule he gave me a special price that I couldn’t refuse :) Mine was multi point calibrated like ones we used for FAA test flights so I was able to use it to experiment on certain internet truths if you will, because it was verified dead nuts accurate.

When I installed it, I tried to make the instrument panel similar to our crop duster. I removed existing instruments of course, but cut out the instrument panel leaving a 1/2 lip perimeter, then made an overlay panel that was attached with perimeter screws and nit plates, remove the screws and the entire panel can be laid down giving you access to everything.

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Thanks 1