Instrument Panel Switch Replacement

It's a 1984 201. A couple of the rocker switches along the bottom of the panel F3AFD3DC-A598-4762-A2C8-D7CB50C88313.thumb.jpeg.8e3e0819870457d2dff4476381c43e24.jpeg quit working. I am putting In a new panel and want new ones switches. Hopefully more reliable and get away from the fluctuating ammeter master switch problem. Also the switches have some play in them and look old. I attached a picture.

7C793EBF-130D-4375-8A62-BFB018CC86AE.jpeg

B095D2FE-0552-415D-AE84-2F4679655A35.jpeg

It's massively painful to find new replacement ones. This forum can also point to someone who 3D printed them, which is nice. Lasar may have some - giving them a call is best option. I recently had to replace my broken recog light switch. I went the label route and ended up being indistinguishable. Dymo LetraTag label maker + similar color rocker switches and magic.  Cheap and easy!

252XM-rocker-side-by-side - 1.jpeg

252XM-rocker-installed - 1.jpeg

Thanks for the reply. Printing is an interesting  approach. I don't want to replace the plastic switch cover but the entire switch assembly. I had to replace one switch and a new one was over $450. That's is crazy. I have seen different switches in planes with new panel- someone has to make them.

The easiest thing is to just keep maintaining the switches you have. 

Although there are other companies that make PMA circuit breaker switches like ETA, they aren’t that much cheaper and they are a different size behind the panel, so they won’t fit the bus’s bar. 

If you were to change them all out, that would cost way more than buying a switch every few years. 

you could replace them all with switches and add a circuit breaker for each one, but where would you put all those circuit breakers?

The easiest thing is to just keep maintaining the switches you have. 

Although there are other companies that make PMA circuit breaker switches like ETA, they aren’t that much cheaper and they are a different size behind the panel, so they won’t fit the bus’s bar. 

If you were to change them all out, that would cost way more than buying a switch every few years. 

you could replace them all with switches and add a circuit breaker for each one, but where would you put all those circuit breakers?

Looks like he has 6 open spots for more circuit breakers. I agree it’s not worth it unless you are cutting a new panel anyway.
If doing that much major surgery, then the cost is only the rewiring time, 1-2 hours labor?

Tom

41 minutes ago, Speed Merchant said:

Thanks for the reply. Printing is an interesting  approach. I don't want to replace the plastic switch cover but the entire switch assembly. I had to replace one switch and a new one was over $450. That's is crazy. I have seen different switches in planes with new panel- someone has to make them.

More coffee needed. Well at least if you need the switch covers - that path works :)

30 minutes ago, carusoam said:

This is the current M20U panel switches.... they just look modern.   Perfect for a 2020 panel....

OK, so I did a google search and MS search to no avail. Any idea of the part # for the M20U switches? I couldn't even find a parts manual.

They look similar to switches from these guys... https://www.otrattw.net

If you want to pursue asking somebody at Mooney...

Start with a guy named Stacy... he knows how every system in the factory works...

He kept the doors open back in 08 and 09...

Reportedly, he is still there...

He may actually be the spare parts guy...

Best regards,

-a-

On 8/15/2020 at 9:29 PM, CharlesHuddleston said:

OK, so I did a google search and MS search to no avail. Any idea of the part # for the M20U switches? I couldn't even find a parts manual.

They look similar to switches from these guys... https://www.otrattw.net

Not sure about the M20U, but for the M20J, Mooney lists all the electrical part numbers in Chapter 91 at the end of Vol 1 of the Service and Maintenance Manual.

Skip

• 1 year later...

Hi I’m new to this so I’ll try and keep it brief. I have an ‘80 K and after replacing a Klixon for $450 a couple years ago I refused to reuse them when I redo my panel. Last year a friend got me a copy of the U IPC. The part numbers are Carling Tech Contura V switches.  I worked with their tech dept to determine the 12v equivalent of the U switches. I put in a batch order last April and after multiple delays they are promised next month. As I am switching to a Duo Dim module I ordered LED instead of incandescent. Please PM me if you have additional questions. Hope this helps.

Ted

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Lois said:

Hi I’m new to this so I’ll try and keep it brief. I have an ‘80 K and after replacing a Klixon for $450 a couple years ago I refused to reuse them when I redo my panel. Last year a friend got me a copy of the U IPC. The part numbers are Carling Tech Contura V switches.  I worked with their tech dept to determine the 12v equivalent of the U switches. I put in a batch order last April and after multiple delays they are promised next month. As I am switching to a Duo Dim module I ordered LED instead of incandescent. Please PM me if you have additional questions. Hope this helps.

Ted

Thanks, Ted.

The Klixon and ETA rocker switches are circuit breaker switches. The Carlings appear to be simply switches. How are you handling the circuit protection? 

Skip

• Like 1

I installed the new style switches when I renovated my panel. They were cheap… about $40 a piece. We installed circuit breakers on the lower panel for each switch. The switches are lighted so they demand some attention when illuminated. Easier to spot a pitot heat switch left on.

22DF24A0-ED04-4E34-B7A1-314B92E31414.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi Cobbers. First time on the site.

I am researching this very same matter to complete the upgrade of my M20K 231 panel. It already has the G500, GTN 750, EDM 830, and I'll soon be putting in a GFC 500 and G5, so getting the rest of the panel switches modernised would fit in. I'm not quite following the technical details, so I'd like to be pointed in the right direction. In Australia, the installation would be enable/authorised under an "Engineering Order".

Sorry sir, not sure I can get you that far. I’m on the road but once home I’ll chase down the IPC. It will show the new switches we are discussing as installed on the newest Mooneys. The new system uses a switch and a circuit breaker. Our older airplanes have them in a single unit. The new switches as installed in the new Mooneys are also 24v. My efforts have been to get 12v units.