I have a 1977 M20J model with a Dukes gear motor. I'm looking for a place to get it overhauled, including the brushes, not just the actuator.

Having problems finding a place that can overhaul it or that has an overhauled motor for less than the price of my house.

The existing motor is model number 1057-00-5G

Serial number 0134

It was last overhauled by George's Electrical Service in Sacramento and they just went out of business in Dec.

Thanks for any input.

Welcome aboard, Luke!

Going down the list of motor OHers...

Always check the current status of businesses that had to close temporarily... Covid, fires, earthquakes... some come back...

Globe motors.. is often mentioned around here...

Then there are the used equipment folks...

Then tell us about your house...   :)

Interested in used equipment?

See if this pirep is of any help...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ron McBride said:

Top gun in Stockton CA did the gears in mine .   Unfortunately George’s closed up, they may have another source.

also check with Lasar. 

Thanks!  I did check with LASAR already. They are usually very helpful and are trying to assist but didn't have a immediate solution.

Will check with Top Gun.

Top gun changed the spring on my Eaton box...and worked out well.

my AI was terribly upset with me though because while too gun supplied a sticker of repair, the reality is that they are not an FAA service station.

in other words, I could bring my plane to top gun and they could repair to gear box under their AI...but it is technically not legal to send them the gear box and then have it reinstalled by your local AI.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

Top gun changed the spring on my Eaton box...and worked out well.

my AI was terribly upset with me though because while too gun supplied a sticker of repair, the reality is that they are not an FAA service station.

in other words, I could bring my plane to top gun and they could repair to gear box under their AI...but it is technically not legal to send them the gear box and then have it reinstalled by your local AI.

OK, I’ll bite. I can understand why your AI might prefer a repair station to cover himself, but assuming Part 91 operations, why would it be “not legal?”  Citation to reg?   It seems to me that your mechanic could inspect the repaired part and determine it to be airworthy.

16 hours ago, Skywalker said:

I have a 1977 M20J model with a Dukes gear motor. I'm looking for a place to get it overhauled, including the brushes, not just the actuator.

Having problems finding a place that can overhaul it or that has an overhauled motor for less than the price of my house.

The existing motor is model number 1057-00-5G

Serial number 0134

It was last overhauled by George's Electrical Service in Sacramento and they just went out of business in Dec.

Thanks for any input.

The brushes are easy to change. Are they warn out? The brushes in mine (also a 77 J) are huge and will probably last thousands of hours.

The brush caps are epoxied on, but you can pop the epoxy off with a razor knife, unscrew the brush caps and inspect the brushes. When you are done put new epoxy on the caps.

I heard once that you can get exact replacement brushes from the bins at ACE hardware....

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 10:12 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

The brushes are easy to change. Are they warn out? The brushes in mine (also a 77 J) are huge and will probably last thousands of hours.

The brush caps are epoxied on, but you can pop the epoxy off with a razor knife, unscrew the brush caps and inspect the brushes. When you are done put new epoxy on the caps.

I heard once that you can get exact replacement brushes from the bins at ACE hardware....

Well I'm not sure what the tolerances are on the brushes but mine have about 3400 hours on them and were last overhauled in 1999.  I'll look into the Ace hardware supply.

Thanks!!

15 hours ago, Yetti said:

contact these guys.   Report back  http://www.aeromotorsllc.com/aeromotorsllc/

Yep already did, they said no.  Also talked to Don Maxwell who said no. Top Gun said no.  Michael who is George's Electric, retired in Dec, though allegedly is getting bored now, is evidently the only one in the country who can do an overhaul on this motor.  Don said he heard of someone in Ohio who might be able to but didn't have name or contact info.

LASAR has one they will sell me for $5000.

My mechanic had a coronary when I passed on the suggestion of finding the brushes at ACE hardware.

Thats where I'm at.

On 8/18/2020 at 12:30 PM, Skywalker said:

Yep already did, they said no.  Also talked to Don Maxwell who said no. Top Gun said no.  Michael who is George's Electric, retired in Dec, though allegedly is getting bored now, is evidently the only one in the country who can do an overhaul on this motor.  Don said he heard of someone in Ohio who might be able to but didn't have name or contact info.

LASAR has one they will sell me for $5000.

My mechanic had a coronary when I passed on the suggestion of finding the brushes at ACE hardware.

Thats where I'm at.

A motor shop should have the brushes.  You can get the bearing numbers of the bearings and go to a bearing shop.   The right angle drive is just gears and shims.  Pay attention to the how the shims come out.   Check and clean the actuator shaft and relube.   There is nothing hard about a clean and lube.   Just go slowly and be take pictures.  Any good A&P should be able to do this.   

• Like 2