RNAV Abreviations!*!*!

V1VRV2

When I read all of that my head shows “LOI” and “INTEG” :lol:

The best I found to understand the acronyms mess is this long 200 pages guide as ICAO PBN docs are just unreadable (one or two things are Europe specific), worth reading and there is a nice Mooney hanged with GPS sat wires on a flat earth, so I think it is an accurate document :)

https://pplir.org/download/2917/

A0BB48E7-4CB6-4F1E-BDAF-84D97AF5B60E.jpeg

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Ibra said:

When I read all of that my head shows “LOI” and “INTEG” :lol:

The best I found to understand the acronyms mess is this long 200 pages guide as ICAO PBN docs are just unreadable (one or two things are Europe specific), worth reading and there is a nice Mooney hanged with GPS sat wires on a flat earth, so I think it is an accurate document :)

https://pplir.org/download/2917/

Thanks for that. It looks helpful. I'll check it out.

The number of approach types one has to remember....

Is highly dependent upon the equipment mounted in one’s plane...

Which is typically one box....

Which comes complete with a really good manual...

The key word to look for with modern GPS... is WAAS...

WAAS is highly accurate to allow for vertical guidance...

Everything else has lesser skills....

A good WAAS box also handles VORs and ILS, and substitutes for DMEs and ADFs...

Its a lot to take in... do it one page at a time... then repeat... often...

PP thoughts only not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

10 hours ago, V1VRV2 said:

SBAS is the ICAO equivalent of North America’s WAAS? Another two acronyms!!!

Yes, SBAS is the thing called WAAS in NA and EGNOS in EU and MBAS in Japan, same GNSS is the thing called GPS in NA in GLONASS in Russia (soon Gallelio in EU), hopefully load the acronyms should vanish in 2022 when ICAO/FAA finish their spring cleaning :D, in a nutshell there are only two types 2D & 3D with MDH & DH (CatA if >250ft and CatB I, II, III <250ft):

2D is LNAV or LP depending if lateral or angular guidance on xy-axis and it will replace (VDF, NDB, TACAN, VOR, LOC,SRA,BC)

3D is LNAV/VNAV or LPV depending if lateral or angular guidance on xyz-axis and it will replace (ILS, ILS CatBII&III, PAR, MLS, TLS, IGS)

Angular guidance on xyz-axis (goes accurate as you go close = precision) need WAAS or some GPS box magic*

Lateral guidance on xyz-axis (stays the same as you go close = non-precision) need RAIM check but skip if WAAS is available 

*the 4 exceptions with z-axis: the GPS box can derive angular value using BARO altimeter to a 3D approach without WAAS (called LNAV/BaroV), the GPS box can provide advisory angular on z-axis via WAAS to a lateral non-precision 2D approach (called LNAV+V), if WAAS is available but GPS box stays in lateral xyz-axis you get a 3D with no angular but still WAAS enhancement (called L/VNAV), I will let you guess why GPS box can make LPV but can’t make an LP/BaroV or LP+V :)?

I am sure this will require a lot of re-writing of IFR plates, but worse in my pilot head when passing the FAF as what started as LPV now shows as LNAV/BaroV on nearby altimeter setting going to a non controlled airfield :lol:

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 1