GFC500 Question

I am in the process of getting quotes for a GFC500 for my 231.  (For all of you waiting for the TT/AeroCruz 100 STC, this virtually guarantees that the FAA will issue it the minute I send off my deposit for a GFC500.  You can thank me later).  I have a CNX80 GPS with the Version 2.4 software and GPS / WAAS Software Version 5.1 (which I am told is the most current).  One shop that I contacted for a quote mentioned that the GFC500 cannot do coupled VNAV GPS approaches if your GPS navigator is a CNX80 or GNS480.  I had not seen that limitation anywhere in Garmin literature, and was wondering if anyone on MS has experience with this.

• Haha 2

Believe...

There is a thread regarding how to get all the various Garmin boxes to talk to one another...

Various connections, and various settings....

Some boxes want to talk to each other, and there are some limitations...

It really helps to have a strong garmin shop to work with...

Best regards,

-a-

Key word may be MapMX...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I thought CNX80 was out of service now? I’d upgrade the GPS if spending $ on a GFC.

You are quite right that the CNX80 is an obsolete, unsupported (by Garmin) box.  The trouble is that I really like this box, and it has worked flawlessly for the full time I have owned the plane.  As a member in good standing of the CB club it is hard to get rid of something that works fine, and spend a lot of money for a replacement that will do essentially the same thing. Having said that, if VNAV is not supported with a CNX80 I will look into a replacement.

You are quite right that the CNX80 is an obsolete, unsupported (by Garmin) box.  The trouble is that I really like this box, and it has worked flawlessly for the full time I have owned the plane.  As a member in good standing of the CB club it is hard to get rid of something that works fine, and spend a lot of money for a replacement that will do essentially the same thing. Having said that, if VNAV is not supported with a CNX80 I will look into a replacement.

Demote it to #2, add GTN Xi to #1. Best of all worlds although if thinking of the GFC 500, you standing within the CB is already questionable. ;-)
  • Like 1

we removed our cnx80-mx200 about 2 months ago to install 750xi, quite an up grade and its different, but the features are worth it, garmin data cost less then jepperson, most of the expensive cables( call a gold cable) should be so its helps in the $ amount

• Like 1

It has taken Over a decade...

Color screens have officially made it to the CB standards level...

When your plane has successfully used an ancient Garmin GPS for 20years...

You have achieved an honorary lifetime CB achievement award...

Remember... A good CB can spread these cost over the next decade when dressing up a forever plane...  :)

Forever-plane economics have great advantages...

Some forever-planes have quite a few color screens...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

Remember... A good CB can spread these cost over the next decade when dressing up a forever plane...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Is a green screen gps a colored screen?  Green is the new green right?

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

Best regards,

-a-

Well, you got me.  That's what I did.  No upgrades except for a stereo audio panel for 21 years.  The KLN 90B was just too good.  I'm glad I passed on the GNS series GPSs.  But then I amortized the cost of the 21st Century avionics with all those non buys for 21 years.  It was worth the wait.

I would have to say getting the Instrument Rating now with the new avionics is trivial compared to what is was like 25 years ago.  DME Arcs, Holding in strong winds, ADF Approaches in strong winds were challenging, unlike following the magenta line with your GFC 500 autopilot engaged.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Is a green screen gps a colored screen?  Green is the new green right?

We get 1/2 a color screen point for a good green screen, or amber.... 1/2 because it is digitally driven, valuable data, easily displayed, and adjustable for scale...

The G500TXi is worth 2... since you can configure the various separate parts of the screen it shows.... :)

A JPI 700 is kind of pushing the boundary a bit... unless it is recording MP, RPM, altitude and location....

Thanks to DonK for the strategy shared.... the 25yr old BK stuff is getting to the end of the line... 

I’m looking forward to transitioning back into the IFR world one day.... 

PP thoughts only, not a single color screen owner...

Best regards,

-a-

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 7:07 PM, whiskytango said:

I am in the process of getting quotes for a GFC500 for my 231.  (For all of you waiting for the TT/AeroCruz 100 STC, this virtually guarantees that the FAA will issue it the minute I send off my deposit for a GFC500.  You can thank me later).  I have a CNX80 GPS with the Version 2.4 software and GPS / WAAS Software Version 5.1 (which I am told is the most current).  One shop that I contacted for a quote mentioned that the GFC500 cannot do coupled VNAV GPS approaches if your GPS navigator is a CNX80 or GNS480.  I had not seen that limitation anywhere in Garmin literature, and was wondering if anyone on MS has experience with this.

My E also has a GNS480.

From reading the manual, anything you can do with a 430/530 you can do with the 480 as far as vertical navigation. It is my understanding the 480/430/530 will all fly coupled LPV approaches on the GFC500 BUT the GTN series will fly coupled go arounds and do enroute VNAV. It is also my understanding that Garmin treats the CNX-80 and the GNS-480 the same even though I believe they are at EOL at different software levels.

• Like 1

@AerostarDriver the latest explanation I was given by the Avionics shop was that the CNX80 will do coupled Baro-VNAV approaches with the GFC500 but not WAAS VNAV approaches, which means that there are required RAIM checks, manual altimeter setting input, and may be some temperature limitations.  I can live with that.