PPI @KMQB Macomb, IL

I'm under contract on a 1967 Mooney M20C, https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/196005075/1967-mooney-m20c.  Per the seller's wishes, I need to have a PPI done onsite in Macomb, IL.  Any suggestions?  The FBO in Macomb will provide tools and jacks for the inspection.  Tanks were resealed by Weep No More in January 2018.  

1967 MOONEY M20C at Controller.com

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paulyslug said:

No, the seller's widow does not want to deal with having the plane moved, so I've agreed to arrange a pre-buy onsite. 

That's tough... but less than an hour's flight to a good shop is not much to ask for a pre-buy.  And it sounds like you've already found a local CFI in @BrianWilkins who might be able to help with the ferry flight.  :)

The point of the pre-buy is for you as the buyer to make sure you're comfortable buying the plane at the agreed-upon price.  If they're going to prevent you from checking it out properly, I would ask for a discount to account for the elevated risk you're being asked to take on.

2 hours ago, ZuluZulu said:

That's tough... but less than an hour's flight to a good shop is not much to ask for a pre-buy.  And it sounds like you've already found a local CFI in @BrianWilkins who might be able to help with the ferry flight.  :)

The point of the pre-buy is for you as the buyer to make sure you're comfortable buying the plane at the agreed-upon price.  If they're going to prevent you from checking it out properly, I would ask for a discount to account for the elevated risk you're being asked to take on.

From the sound of it no one is preventing a thorough PPI, it’s just a matter of the location.  The purchaser might ask the seller for an extended closing while searching for someone to do the inspection on site.

Clarence

48 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

From the sound of it no one is preventing a thorough PPI, it’s just a matter of the location.  The purchaser might ask the seller for an extended closing while searching for someone to do the inspection on site.

Clarence

It might be semantics: not allowing the plane to leave the field may effectively prevent a reasonably thorough or independent pre-buy from being performed.

Just curious: Have you ever done an on-site inspection, and are there any special considerations for a mechanic in doing one?  Can the same quality job be readily accomplished under those circumstances?

It’s all about managing risks...

The big risks are corrosion related.... (all airplanes, not just Mooney)

The Buyer wants the airplane to be in airworthiness condition...

Inspection of everything in any hangar can cover a lot....  quality of the looker is most important...

Line for line log reading identifying all ADs complied with...

Tools are mostly screw driver, light, and mirror... helps to have a camera too...

If that is what the buyer and seller agreed to... do the best you can with what you have...

Expect the worst, while hoping for the best... it will work out in the end...

Compression data would be nice... dental camera down the cylinders works pretty well... neither will find a missing cam lobe.

Oil change and filter inspection would be as good as it gets... if you find a cam lobe in there... then there is one missing off the cam....

The objective is to not accidentally take ownership of something that isn’t AW....

Completing the sale often requires some team work...

The seller wants this thing to go...

The buyer wants this thing to move...

Promise to take care of the plane, as if it’s yours... not hard, because it will be, when everything checks out.... :)

If you have your transition training lined up, moving the plane nearby isn’t very risky...

Make sure the plane is insured for whatever work you are about to do... if it falls off the jacks... that would be expensive...

Congrats on getting this far...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZuluZulu said:

It might be semantics: not allowing the plane to leave the field may effectively prevent a reasonably thorough or independent pre-buy from being performed.

Just curious: Have you ever done an on-site inspection, and are there any special considerations for a mechanic in doing one?  Can the same quality job be readily accomplished under those circumstances?

If I understood it correctly, the widow is selling the plane and may have no ability or desire to move the plane.

I have travelled to conduct Pre Purchase Inspections, if a suitable shop is available they can be done remotely.  From a cost perspective it is cheaper to bring the plane to a shop. Good maintainers cost more than ferry pilots,  in my experience pilots will prostitute themselves to get flying time, maintainers less so.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

On 8/13/2020 at 1:26 PM, Paulyslug said:

I'm under contract on a 1967 Mooney M20C, https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/196005075/1967-mooney-m20c.  Per the seller's wishes, I need to have a PPI done onsite in Macomb, IL.  Any suggestions?  The FBO in Macomb will provide tools and jacks for the inspection.  Tanks were resealed by Weep No More in January 2018.  

1967 MOONEY M20C at Controller.com

Be aware that last prop overhaul was 2004 which is more than 15 years past TBO. Also, the plane has only been flown about 200 hrs total in the last 10 years. Best of luck with your purchase!