Replacing KI256 and KI525 combo with GI275's - Any Experiences?

3 hours ago, Eduleo said:

I installed 2 GI275's in my J a few weeks ago, coming from steam gauges and a KAP150. The functionality is fantastic, and it took me very little time to get used to the display format.

The screen feels large because it fills the entire round hole, no black spots. It is bright and very clear, and even though I kept my ASI, VSI, alt and turn coordinator, I don't look at those anymore (waste of UL!). Shot my first LPV approach to within 100' of minimums the other day and having all the info I needed in a small area, including altitude alerts, terrain, traffic, GS, and course, was a big +, not a "-" IMHO. It integrates nicely with my 430w and KAP150 both horizontally and vertically. I still use foreflight connected to a FS210, and a stormscope. I don't see the need for any more info in the cockpit.

Now, some deicing and a PT6 would be nice. Oh, and a pressurized cabin, please.

Please post some panel photos 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 12:22 PM, FlyingScot said:

I have no idea what a servo overhaul costs on the 225. Any thoughts?

It depends what's wrong with it. I had an old KFC200 servo go bad. The overhaul was insane. It was less expensive to buy a newer type of servo and overhaul that.

I'm in a similar boat. If my Ki256 goes bad, I will replace it with a GI275. However, if I need to replace the HSI as well, then I'm starting to look at other possibilities. 

Again, as mentioned before, the GI275 though round, has the screen the edge of the bezel and looks AMAZING in person. I saw an install and was VERY impressed with this device.

-Seth

On 8/14/2020 at 10:46 AM, aviatoreb said:

I am generally of the opinion that upgrading an airplane in a manner where we are thinking in terms of resale, is a waste of money.  The cost of aircraft upgrades is huge and the marginal cost of sale is generally pennies on the dollar once an aircraft reaches a certain level of quality.

Instead I operate on a upgrade to please myself principle.  I will be upgrading very soon - probably to dual GI275 to drive my KFC200 for the time being as my next incremental upgrade.

Actually, and I know my perspective is minority, but I really love the aesthetic of the old round gauges and I have kept my Swiss watch mechanical gauges far longer than I probably should have from a safety stand point.  I am just thrilled with the beautify of these mechanical devices.  I have a mechanical watch on my wrist for the same reason instead of an iWatch.  But I am sold that these are just inferior to anything digital.  I am sort of sad about the idea of taking my lovely panel and turning it into a tv screen even though I admit it is functionally fantastic and neat in its own way.  So I really like the aesthetic of the GI275 - I am that customer that thinks this is the just right solution - gold locks zone - between old school aesthetics and modern functionality.  And I like it has less fuss with extra boxes hidden behind the panel and pricewise installed a dual Gi275 system is comparable to an aspen system.  With a pathway to upgrade further to GFC500 if and when I get that itch, but incrementally if I wish, soon, later or never.  I am getting close to pulling the trigger on booking a September date.

Erik-

You make great points. And, with the 275, you now have your backup to the 500txi of the future. That's another reason I'm considering the 275 as well.

-Seth

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eduleo said:

C10A828B-84FF-443F-AE84-090FB5624DAA.jpeg

Fantastic Eduleo, that really looks great. This picture also is very very helpful to me since it looks a lot like my panel will/would look like in my layout since I will keep all my round gauges as you have, the turn coordinator, the ASI, VSI, Airspeed, VOR just as you have, and I also even have an EDM830 in exactly the same place as you.  Where you have a storm scope I have a backup electric mechanical gyro that I see no reason to remove at this time.  And I have an iPad just as you do.  So it really gives the closest look and feel to really give an idea of what this looks like in my own cockpit,

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eduleo said:

C10A828B-84FF-443F-AE84-090FB5624DAA.jpeg

I echo Erik. My panel has similar setup with a JPI 830 in the same place too as well as the stormscope! I also have dual USB power ports on the left side. I have one 430W on the right with my KX165 and Aera 660 is under the the KX165. My GTX345 is further to the right. My AP is the KFC 200 so the control is further down and not a box in the center stack. The GI275 is looking more and more like a probability for me to replace the KI256. Just have to decide if I'm going to also replace the KI525 HSI at the same time or not.

-Seth

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 6:51 AM, FlyingScot said:

>>> II thought this might be the case - thanks  

I have a Stormscope and Shadin, etc. Does this mean the SS will no longer track to the heading?

This is really helpful - thank you.  Nice looking panel BTW!

The Stormscope can utilize track instead of heading. It requires an ARINC connection to an applicable GPS and changing a couple configuration jumpers at the Stormscope connector. I know this will work with a WX-500. Not sure about all the others. If your Shadin is just a fuel computer and doesn’t display or relay heading to anything than it won’t be a problem. 
You’re welcome. My pleasure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does the KI275 show the flight director on the King KFC200 AP?

I'm hearing it may not.

I know it shows a Flight Director with Garmin AP, but does anyone have this installed with their King auto pilots and does it show the FD?

Thanks,

-Seth 

EDIT:  Update - got my answer:

KAP = no FD

KFC = Yes FD

Edited by Seth

On 8/17/2020 at 11:37 AM, Isaac Maxson said:

The Stormscope can utilize track instead of heading. It requires an ARINC connection to an applicable GPS and changing a couple configuration jumpers at the Stormscope connector. I know this will work with a WX-500. Not sure about all the others. If your Shadin is just a fuel computer and doesn’t display or relay heading to anything than it won’t be a problem. 
You’re welcome. My pleasure. 

Isaac, can you elaborate on "applicable GPS".  I'm running a GTN 750, WX-950 stormscope and I'm wanting to upgrade to dual GI 275s.  My installers telling me the STC for the GI 275s only list the WX-500.  Therefore he cannot offer my WX-950 track or heading.   Seems like my GTN could provide track?????  Thanks in advance.  

Sure. An applicable GPS would be one that is capable of outputting a track label over an ARINC connection. The GTN is very capable of providing track to the WX-500. Same with the GNS 430/530. In fact the GI-275 can output a general purpose ARINC with actual heading. In your case the issue is in the WX 950 and its capability to interface to the 750. I haven’t worked with the WX-950 but according to one pinout I looked there didn’t appear to be an option for an ARINC connection. 
If the WX-950 cannot receive ARINC than it will no longer have heading or track if the heading system(KCS 55A) is removed. 
If you want to retain lightning you may consider pulling out the WX-950 and getting a used WX-500 installed. With the WX 500 you will have the capability of displaying the lightning strikes on the GTN 750. The 750 can also control the WX-500.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else besides me wish that Garmin had put the control knobs on the 275s on the bottom right hand corner of the instrument, instead of the left?  I usually fly with my left hand and use my right hand for the avionics and engine controls, etc.  It just seems like it would require less reaching around the yoke if they were placed on the right side.

• Like 2

jpi mount custom made when moritz could not be fix, JPI vertical mounting fit space requirements, slowly learning to use left hand for G275 heading bug. not in love with knob placement but getting use to setup, one item we really like is pushing tuning knob in on hsi aligns nav and heading bug in a one touch motion. weight saving was 20# for vacuum system removal. lots of data is now displayed. fun to tune different setting. looking forward to GFC 500. will have alt. preselect on new system, new to me. we did a custom panel for JPI with brackets in back of panel, just did not want to go thru a new panel again for G275 setup. Our kap 150 system was starting to go to the dark side, Our kap 150-15 box was was $5000 for a new control board, rebuild pitch servo/clutch $4000. wasn't to hard to go to a GFC500 once garmin approval was issued G275, GFC 500 and long body setup

Edited by flysamo
added info

On 8/22/2020 at 11:56 AM, jetdriven said:

The wx950 takes a bootstrap  XYZ output off the HSI.  I don’t think the GI275 has that output 

I see the XYZ output on Figure B-25 GI 275 in the installation manual.  Pretty sure that will give your synchro output to stormscopes, traffic systems, RMI, FADC etc.

Aerodon

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 4:30 PM, Isaac Maxson said:

One thing to think about when removing the KCS 55A system(KI-256 and KI-525) is that you will most probably be getting rid of synchro heading.  Instruments that you have that were receiving that synchro heading before will no longer be receiving it. Examples of units that might be receiving synchro heading would be Shadin Fuel Air Data computers, Stormscope, Skywatch, Radar etc... 

I see the XYZ output on Figure B-25 GI 275 in the installation manual.  Pretty sure that will give your synchro output to stormscopes, traffic systems, RMI, FADC etc.

And the GI-275 will display the output from the WX 500 

Aerodon

On 8/13/2020 at 11:19 AM, FlyingScot said:

I am contemplating replacing my KI256/KI525A combo with GI275's (a GI275 ADAHRS+AP and a GI275 Base HSI).  I would also add a third 275 ( GI275 + ADAHRS) to act as an additional functional display, but could also be used as a failover from the primary AI GI275 (I know the HSI will do this, but this way, you don't compromise the HSI by cluttering it in an emergency, and can retain AP functionality in the failover).

Thanks in advance for any feedback/insights - Bob

It's gone in for the install, so pireps to come. 3 GI275s: AI, HSI, and MFD - the AI & MFD are full AHARS, the HSI a Base Unit. Failover to the MFD. No AP functionality in the failover, however - we were able to sort that one out, but lots of interesting config options with 3 + Sirius + WX500 + ADS-B + Syn Vis, etc...)  Lots of potential in this combo, so we'll see. Keeping most other redundant primaries, still not comfortable with giving them up for reading tapes just yet.

Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions - Bob 

• Like 3