Replacing KI256 and KI525 combo with GI275's - Any Experiences?

On 11/15/2020 at 5:37 PM, flysamo said:

IMG_0498[6902] - Copy (2).HEICagree with other comments, getting used to the new system and comfortable with the system takes learning and practice, IMG_0498[6902] - Copy (2).HEIC  the beauty is in the design, using G275's with GFC 500 and XI 750 is the way it work together. we now features we have wanted for a long time. Only time we have to touch the 275 is to set the baro. love alt. climb to and hold, descend function and the list goes on

Don't you have to touch the 275 to go from heading mode to GPSS mode?  I heard that Garmin buried that function a little too deep in the menu structure.

On 11/17/2020 at 10:27 AM, Greg_D said:

Don't you have to touch the 275 to go from heading mode to GPSS mode?  I heard that Garmin buried that function a little too deep in the menu structure.

Yes, it is buried three levels into the menu. It is the biggest complaint they have received and they are planning to fix it in a software upgrade. Setting up minimums and CDI selection on the ADI could also be brought up to top level instead of two levels down. 

• Like 1

they talk to each other, just set bar is the only time we touch the 275s have to understand that we have the gtn 750xi, gfc 500 and dual 275 units, that the beauty of the Garmen system when its integrated, it evens loads the frequency for the approach, just activate. The system take's some time to learn and doing it smoothly is taking some practice so we are still learning and have a way to go yet

• Like 1

also the GFC 500 talks to the G275 units, heading and alt. information. the only negative is the lack of Garmin video's for the G275 operation as a system, there are plenty of G5 video's available and Garmin logic and display information helps when reviewing/ training information, as aggressive as Garmin is, Garmin hopefully will fix that issue in the near future

• 2 weeks later...

Just replaced my GNS-80, vacuum attitude indicator, and electric gyro driven HSI with two GI-275's and a GTN-750.  Love them.  Very readible and bright.  So far my complaints:

1.  The CDI needle didn't sync between the 750 and the GI-275 -- meaning when I switch the input source for the CDI needle on one, it doesn't flip it on the other.  Granted this can be a "feature" but it I was expecting them to switch together.  In other words, I can be on ILS on the GI-275 and GPS on the 750 -- again this could be a good thing but it wasn't what I was expecting.

2.  I've only had a couple of night flights and the dimming of the 275 was awkward and was much too bright.  I ended up having to manually adjust the brightness.  I need to collect more data/experience here.

3.  I got the setup primarily to drive my legacy KAP-150 autopilot.  It works ok.  I can still couple in both axis for an ILS.  It's only going to give you lateral autopilot commanding for GPS approaches and if you perform a missed approach or hold and you're still in "NAV" your KAP is going to steer you "short way" to next steer point - so you might want to go to heading hold for flying holding patterns.

Bruce