Vernier throttle on M20J

Yes.

Search for owner supplied parts...

The manufacturer is Mcfarlane...

You send them the old one, they send you the replacement...

You will be uneasy while your parts are in somebody else’s hands...

Expect Fed-ex to drop the ball when shipping really important parts...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

The precision is greatly appreciated...

Dial in some more... dial it right back out...

Won’t change your life...

If you have good piloting skills you probably won’t find any use for it...

Did I mention I use mine all the time... :)

When I get digital displays for my engine instruments... I am going to dial in exact numbers...

Not being the most skillful pilot around... I’ll take the extra assistance where available...

Best regards,

-a-

19 hours ago, Robert Tanner said:

I find it easier to make precise and smooth  changes with a vernier control.

Fair enough, to each their own.  The additional difficulty in making rapid-but-small power changes in the landing flare in vernier-throttled piston airplanes drives me nuts.  I've always thought of it as an unfortunate, but necessary tradeoff, in TC'd airplanes that are prone to bootstrapping without the ability to make very-very-very-small throttle changes.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mfcahill said:

Anybody done a vernier conversion to their cowl flaps cable?  I've been thing about doing my J.

I’m not sure if you could find a vernier cable with a long enough stroke to function as a cowl flap control in a J model.

Clarence

McFarlane has this new-fangled throttle that sounds interesting.  I like the friction-lock throttle for the last 5 feet of altitude in the flair.  This one from McFarlane is interesting, if they could also install the gear warning switch on the cabin end of the cable.

John Breda

McFarlane has this new-fangled throttle that sounds interesting.  I like the friction-lock throttle for the last 5 feet of altitude in the flair.  This one from McFarlane is interesting, if they could also install the gear warning switch on the cabin end of the cable.

https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/articles/approved-va-throttle-new/

(Sorry - left out the link the first time)

John Breda

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 9:13 PM, Robert Tanner said:

Is it realistically possible to install a vernier throttle cable assy in place of the standard throttle?

Robert

I have flown both standard and vernier throttles and don't care for the latter nor do I think its necessary. Maybe because I’m used to it but I much prefer the standard. My throttle is wo literally from takeoff to setting up for the approach and landing. And it is much easier to use when you need instant power. And with no button to malfunction has much lower chances of failure.

I have flown both standard and vernier throttles and don't care for the latter nor do I think its necessary. Maybe because I’m used to it but I much prefer the standard. My throttle is wo literally from takeoff to setting up for the approach and landing. And it is much easier to use when you need instant power. And with no button to malfunction has much lower chances of failure.

The vernier throttle doesn’t have a button. That’s only for mixture and prop controls.

23 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

The vernier throttle doesn’t have a button. That’s only for mixture and prop controls.

Some do and some don’t. For example I fly an Ovation2 occasionally with a push button vernier throttle. My J has the standard simple throttle with friction lock which I much prefer. Wouldn’t want this in my hand on a go around!