Has anyone flown into KAXX Angel Fire?

I was in there a few years ago. It was November, just around Thanksgiving.

Knowledge of high density altitude and mountain terrain  operations is essential. You will land with a significant crosswind. The winds are westerly. The runway is N-S. There is higher terrai on both sides, which funnels and increases those westerly winds. And, absolutely, positively, ask a local about the best procedure for takeoff. Y

I just pulled up the METAR for Angel Fire and Taos. I had a pretty good idea what I would find. They are only 20 miles apart. Nice summer day with light winds, not like the lowered Jetstream i the winter. God nutshell of what you need to know when considering the trip.

KSKX 121656Z AUTO 17007KT 10SM CLR 28/M02 A3032 RMK AO2 SLP186 T02781017
KAXX 121655Z AUTO 25016G22KT 10SM CLR 23/00 A3042 RMK AO2 T02341001

• Like 1

Be sure to plan your arrival as it's going to be steep from anyway you choose to arrive.  Really study the DP too.  If you want to leave on 17 (due to winds) you're going to need a climb rate in the 800 ft/min range to be IFR safe.  Beautiful airport but every bit as challenging as TEX or ASE.  Raton and Taos are much less involved but may not be what you want.

• Like 1

BTW, oxygen isn't going to be your issue.  It's not really that high around there and staying at 12.5 and below is not much of a problem.  The issue with the Sangre De Cristos is that the aspects are quite steep on the east and west faces.  That creates a lot of turbulence as you know.  Combine that with the narrow valleys getting in and out and you have a challenge.  If your goal is to get into the Alamosa Valley, look west for sure.

• Like 1

If climb rate is an issue, terrain, and you're IFR with good visibility, I'd request ATC for VCOA) (Visual Climb Over Airport) to get my altitude. That is an option if the DP (Departure Procedure) or ODP (Obstacle Departure Procedure) is not doable... 

VFR you could do the same VCOA just announce it... 

Provided there is clearance from obstacles... 

-Don 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

I just remembered. This is a video done by a local Angel Fire pilot. He did this video after a couple of then-recent accidents. It's quite good.

One of the most outstanding videos out there...very informative.  For not being an instructor, this was exceptionally well done.

Steve

I have been there in a 231 (with a local CFI on board).  If you are not mountain flying proficient, I highly recommend taking a course before attempting AXX or hire a LOCAL CFI to take with you.

As others have mentioned this airport has a combination of factors (high DA, mountain downwash, strong crosswinds, limited horizontal maneuverability) that significantly increase the risk.

That being said it is a fantastic experience to add to your aviation chops.  

Stay safe!

• Like 1