Vibration Issue

RiddleTag

Guys,

I am having a vibration issue in my 1997 TLS Bravo and have been trying to track it down for a few months now.  I know, this is like finding a needle in a hay stack, but I thought I would reach out to the infinite wisdom of MooneySpace to see if anyone has any ideas or experience with tracking down a vibration.  Here are some details:

The vibration feels like it is coming from the front of the airplane, but I could be wrong.

When I establish a climb around 120 knots is when the vibration seems to be the worst.  This is at 34’’ and 2400RPM with the cowls open.  When I level off, gain speed and clean up the cowl flaps it gets better, but is still mostly there for the remainder of the flight.  I just installed an EDM 930 and all cylinders are hot and everything seems to be happy with the engine.

I have questioned the gear doors and cowl flaps with my mechanics, but they say that they are fine.  I will be mounting a go pro under the wings to confirm this or see if anything is discovered on my next flight.

Prop has been dynamically balanced recently and the guy that did it says that he got it very close to perfect.

Engine mounts have been inspected and the mechanics say that there is plenty of life left in them.

There were some loose bolts and other things found in the tail of the airplane.  These have been fixed, but have had no improvement on the issue.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas or experience with this.  The vibration is driving me nuts and is somewhat keeping me from making any decent trips in the plane.  Thanks in advance for the help.

My guess is its the cowl flaps. Some vibration is common when fully open. You can check the security of their hardware for looseness. But better yet, I doubt you need them fully open in climb while climbing at least 10-15 kts above Vy and should be able to close them about half-way without seeing a rise in CHT and that should eliminate the vibration. If near closing them in cruise doesn't eliminate it you may well have some worn hardware there. 

• Thanks 1

Vibration changing with a change of attitude...

Has been reported a couple of times around here...

tends to be things under the nose...

A recent long body observation found seals around the nose gear door had become loose and were missing parts.... the new gap allowed for vibration...

Be on the look out for small amounts of space where there should be none...

When you collect the video... please share via YouTube, post the link here...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Looks like my memory lasts at least one month.... :)