Side Kick Panels

231MJ

Anyone do anything interesting with these side kick panels?  Cover in a vinyl wrap?  Reproduce in carbon fiber?   Replace with something else?  I have a new interior and hate to put this back in.1489435680_sidekickpanels.thumb.jpg.19335b6deca08038e17805eac0d6ba9f.jpg

Did you put new carpet on your side panels ?  I am redoing my interior as well.  I think it depends on what you did with the side panels.  I am doing Bruce Yeagers revitalization and replaced  my side carpet with fabric covered panels that go down to the floor so I was able to get rid of those kick panels.  I was initially looking at aerocomfort carpet kit which would probably have resulted in me repainting those kick  panels and reinstalling because carpeted sides without the kick panels looked kind of weird.

+1 on the SEM products.  All my plastic looks show room new after some repairs, aluminum edging and fresh paint.

I used the same side panels but covered in an accent leather rather than carpet.  I should have just made new panels that go to the floor and covered it all in leather.  I think SEM paint is in my future unless I can dream up something else.

Anthony, please send me a picture of your interior when it's done and I'll do the same.  I also have a 262 and enjoy the heck out of it.   

3 hours ago, 231MJ said:

I used the same side panels but covered in an accent leather rather than carpet.  I should have just made new panels that go to the floor and covered it all in leather.  I think SEM paint is in my future unless I can dream up something else.

Anthony, please send me a picture of your interior when it's done and I'll do the same.  I also have a 262 and enjoy the heck out of it.   

As another 262 owner I would like to see how your leather side panels turned out.

My interior is still from the 1990's when it was redone by Mooney mods as part of the 262 upgrade. It has fully carpeted sides without the kick panels. I need to do some upgrades to the interior and on the fence on what to do with lowers; carpet vs leather vs adding kick panels back in.

Mooney stopped using the kick panels on J’s at some point and just ran the carpeted sides all the way to the floor. My ‘78 had the kick panels; my ‘94 does not. I replaced the carpet and side panels in both with an Airtex kit, so for sure Airtex has the templates to go either way. I think it’s a cleaner look without them, and it’s one less plastic part to crack over time.

Personally, I really like the Airtex carpet. It has a more uniform nap than most products that have individual strands. It also comes with foam glued on the back which gives it a softer feel and adds sound proofing. The side panels come with the foam side glued to lightweight plastic corrugated panels. It was a couple of pounds lighter than the factory stuff I removed.

Skip

Sorry it took so long to get back.....work! I will post when installed. So far just a lot of repair work to the plastic. Painting panels tomorrow. In my research and playing around with plastic panels and textured paint I think I am going to try something this weekend. As I mentioned I decided to go with the Yeager side panels down to the floor and get rid of my side carpet and kick panels. I have also cut my existing lower half of window panels into more of a flowing rounded look vice squared off. For the lower panels I think I am going to go with a heavier textured black truck bed liner spray to keep it more durable, less prone to shoe scuffs and dog hair. Then I have black carpet coming from aerocomfort and leather arm rests and inserts from aerocomfort. I will post when installed. I plan to also have a video of ALL I leaned in this process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Anthony.  This is a picture of the copilot side panel covered in blue leather.  The seats are gray leather and I thought the blue leather would be a nice accent and it matches the exterior blue accent stripe.  My work is not perfect, but the imperfections will be covered up by the time it's installed.    The leather was kinda inexpensive, about $300 for a full hide and one hide did both side panels and the panel under the rear seat.  I also had three pockets made - they will attach with snap fasteners.  Aerocomfort did the seats and covered the plastic panels - what a fantastic job.  Hector is an artist.  But this interior stuff is a lot of work... 

2064920170_copilotsidepanel.JPG.5e68b45d9881569a7168c3e33790cb7a.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks, Larry.  Yours look a lot better than my beat-up panels and not putting those little strips back in make sense - really can't see much of em anyway.  Did you buy yours in black or paint them?