Yeesh...Signature...

Kmac

Looking for a short flight to breakfast yesterday (8/9/20) and staying clear of the TFR I decided to fly to Chester County (MQS).  The Flying Machine Cafe has been closed for a few years now but a diner is only about a quarter mile walk from the FBO.  The last time flew there the fee was $5 for single engines and $10 for twins but if you ate at the restaurant or purchased fuel the fee was waived.  I figured this time out I would fuel up at my home drome and save more than the $5 on fuel cost difference, have a merry meal and pay the $5 fee.  On our way in I spoke to a nice woman at the desk.  I said I knew there was a fee and wouldn't need fuel.  She told us to go eat and she would have the paperwork ready for us upon our return since it takes a very long time.  When we get back she informs us of the charges...$5 infrastructure fee and $29 handling fee...

I then asked if the fees are waived if I buy fuel and she said the handling fee is waived but the infrastructure fee stays.  I told her that I just added fuel and it wouldn't take much.  She said she wasn't sure but the handling fee is waived after either 5 or 10 gallons but would waive it no matter what now that I am getting fuel.  So she calls out to the line guy to deliver fuel.  So I top off with another 7 whole gallons and then attempt to pay so I can finally leave.  Of course the payment she is trying to have me make is for a different aircraft...she says that the computer system was made by the three stooges and it will be a little longer...another 10 minutes in the FBO and I tell her that I would like to leave now...she requests to make a copy of my credit card and she will email me my receipt once she gets it all figured out...

I did finally get my receipt...

I am not going back to Chester County Airport until Signature is gone...

By the way...while in the FBO she tells me that the Flying Machine Cafe is for sale if I'm interested...

Capture.JPG

• Sad 3

I fly to MQS frequently to visit family (well, not so much this year).  The people who work there (at Signature) are great, but Signature (the organization) needs to go.  Their fees are ridiculously high, they don't have enough parking, and Signature maintains a monopoly for all transient aircraft services/fees, including parking. 

AOPA has included MQS on its list, along with Key West and other airports, of Signature locations that abuse their monopoly position on the field.  Unfortunately, FAA has ignored AOPA's concerns and even supported Signature in the dispute.  Why FAA should have any say over this is questionable, since isn't the FAA's mandate to maintain and improve "aviation safety?"  Hard to see a legitimate safety interest in helping maintain a monopoly.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Looking for a short flight to breakfast yesterday (8/9/20) and staying clear of the TFR I decided to fly to Chester County (MQS).  The Flying Machine Cafe has been closed for a few years now but a diner is only about a quarter mile walk from the FBO.  The last time flew there the fee was $5 for single engines and $10 for twins but if you ate at the restaurant or purchased fuel the fee was waived.  I figured this time out I would fuel up at my home drome and save more than the $5 on fuel cost difference, have a merry meal and pay the $5 fee.  On our way in I spoke to a nice woman at the desk.  I said I knew there was a fee and wouldn't need fuel.  She told us to go eat and she would have the paperwork ready for us upon our return since it takes a very long time.  When we get back she informs us of the charges...$5 infrastructure fee and $29 handling fee...

I then asked if the fees are waived if I buy fuel and she said the handling fee is waived but the infrastructure fee stays.  I told her that I just added fuel and it wouldn't take much.  She said she wasn't sure but the handling fee is waived after either 5 or 10 gallons but would waive it no matter what now that I am getting fuel.  So she calls out to the line guy to deliver fuel.  So I top off with another 7 whole gallons and then attempt to pay so I can finally leave.  Of course the payment she is trying to have me make is for a different aircraft...she says that the computer system was made by the three stooges and it will be a little longer...another 10 minutes in the FBO and I tell her that I would like to leave now...she requests to make a copy of my credit card and she will email me my receipt once she gets it all figured out...

By the way...while in the FBO she tells me that the Flying Machine Cafe is for sale if I'm interested...

Capture.JPG

Ok here's another viewpoint to consider . . .

So the question is, if you had called ahead before you left and you were told about the fees would you have still gone? If the answer is yes, then what's the point? If the answer is no, then you should have called. Your failure to call is not their fault. Despite that they only charged you the $5 that you planned on provided you took on any fuel.

Airnav says that the fuel at your home airport is $4.89, so signature charged you .86 more per gallon, for another $6.02 extra. 

905707215_ScreenShot2020-08-10at8_00_39AM.thumb.png.3954736bd3de847dfbf5b4bae012d1ad.png

66275604_ScreenShot2020-08-10at8_01_55AM.thumb.png.e3f2f4049a3846b94f9ac8330baa7e87.png

I would consider a $5 fee plus waiving the handling fee for any fuel purchase extremely reasonable. Figure out what their overhead is every month and see how many $5 fees and 7 gallon fuel purchases, at maybe $20 gross profit, it takes to cover their monthly fixed costs. If all Signature locations charged only $5.75 per gallon and were this reasonable on waiving their fees, that would be great.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

So the question is, if you had called ahead before you left and you were told about the fees would you have still gone? If the answer is yes, then what's the point? If the answer is no, then you should have called. Your failure to call is not their fault. Despite that they only charged you the $5 that you planned on provided you took on any fuel.

Airnav says that the fuel at your home airport is $4.89, so signature charged you .86 more per gallon, for another $6.02 extra. 

905707215_ScreenShot2020-08-10at8_00_39AM.thumb.png.3954736bd3de847dfbf5b4bae012d1ad.png

66275604_ScreenShot2020-08-10at8_01_55AM.thumb.png.e3f2f4049a3846b94f9ac8330baa7e87.png

I would consider a $5 fee plus waiving the handling fee for any fuel purchase extremely reasonable. Figure out what their overhead is every month and see how many $5 fees and 7 gallon fuel purchases, at maybe $20 gross profit, it takes to cover their monthly fixed costs. If all Signature locations charged only $5.75 per gallon and were this reasonable on waiving their fees, that would be great.

Fair points.  In my experience, MQS Signature staff have been very willing to waive some fees if I buy fuel.  When staying overnight, they tend to get you for a sizeable tie-down fee (can't remember how much) regardless of fuel purchases, charged on a nightly basis.  The cost of fuel is high (but maybe not exorbitant for the eastern PA/NJ/NY area). 

The worst part is the parking situation.  I have arrived at MQS a couple of times when there were either no parking spots remaining, or only one.  I had to park off to the side one time and allowed them to tow the airplane (my old Warrior, not the Mooney!) when a spot became available. 

These factors have led us to consider Brandywine (OQN) and Heritage (PTW) as alternatives.  They are a little farther out of the way, but in some cases better, depending on who we are visiting.

Sometimes I think FBO staff help you out more if you're polite and engaging.  I have seen some jerks come through who treat the staff badly, and they don't seem to get the fees waived...

Edited by 1001001
  • Like 1

Just now, LANCECASPER said:

Ah...your saying I should not have used my previous experience with Signanture at the very same airport as a guide instead of calling...

If I had called and they would have mentioned the new fees over the phone I would not have gone out of principle, not due to cost.

I can not find an excuse to charge a handling fee when absolutely nothing was handled whatsoever.  I was already willing to pay the $5 infrastructure fee.  I was prepared go in there and give them $5 and not even get anything for it...

In your estimation, where do the fees such as this become unreasonable?  Is a $15 infrastructure fee and $50 handling fee unless you buy fuel reasonable?  What about $25/$75?  The airport was already dead and will only get worse.  As stated I will not be returning.  Many others have already decided that any landing fee is unreasonable and would not go there or any airport with a "landing fee".  When I began flying I always thought "who cares about a cheap landing fee"... after yesterday I now side with the pilots who won't go to any airport with fees such as this out of principle...

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying money for something...I got the opposite of that there yesterday.  With my money I only bought hassle.  The lady at the desk was nice, but after I told her I wasn't buying fuel she could have mentioned that there was going to be a handling charge of $29 before I went to breakfast...

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Sorry about the bad experience.

Fees are just one of many considerations when flying to a destination.  I suspect the $5 infrastructure fee was for the airport so they could not waive it.  The $29 'handling' fee should probably be renamed a 'facility' fee used to pay for the lounge, restrooms, planning room, and personnel that are there for our benefit.  With that said, I too try to avoid FBO's with high fees.  Before I go someplace where I'll need to use an FBO, I'll contact them by email to ask about fees.  When they respond I'll have something in writing that I can show them if the actual fees are significantly different than what they tell me.

When deciding whether or not to go I'll consider the cost of fuel, fees, ground transportation, and convenience (time and facilities) at both the closest airport and any alternatives.  For example, last year we went to Provo, UT to watch Washington play BYU.  The obvious choice was Provo (PVU) but Spanish Fork (SPK) is pretty close too.  We went to PVU because there was not enough difference in fees + fuel + Uber cost to justify (in my mind) going to SPK.

As to what are reasonable fees, it's all relative.  Somebody who can afford to fly a turboprop will think differently than those of us that fly a Mooney and differently than someone who can only afford to fly their C152 10 hours/year.

• Like 3

There are a lot of FBO's that will waive fees for small GA if you ask, I have even gone to airports run by Signature and they have volunteered to waive the fees with out me saying anything more then I was just stopping for fuel/lunch/pick up some one, ect...  Chester county on the other hand has always been bad IMO. the first couple times I flew in there (before Signature) they were charging fees. small single engine were easily waived but they would hit you for twins and above, now it just seems to be worse and I'm not sure if it's really Signature or the airport. I usually try to avoid the airports with the larger FBO's because I know their rates are higher and they charge fees, but most of them do provide excellent service when I do use them.

BTW, I avoid Chester county just like most in the area. the Hangar Cafe probably had to close their doors due to so many of the local pilots boycotting the airport due to the FBO/airport and the crazy fees.

• Like 4

Just now, orionflt said:

BTW, I avoid Chester county just like most in the area. the Hangar Cafe probably had to close their doors due to so many of the local pilots boycotting the airport due to the FBO/airport and the crazy fees.

Agreed...

Capture.thumb.JPG.285acf480b92a74549531f942a7877b2.JPG

You should have flown 10 miles south to my airport (N57) and enjoyed $4/gallon fuel, no fees and use of the courtesy car.

When Chester County awarded Signature the FBO at KMQS, it has been all downhill for the airport. Initially when they opened, they charged landing fees even if you went to the restaurant. Word got out and people began avoiding the airport. They dropped the landing fee but the damage was done. The airport restaurant closed and certainly with the current COVID situation and Signature still there, I doubt it will be opening anytime soon.

I have a friend based there and he said that there are available hangars there. The only airport in the area that I know has open hangars. That speaks volumes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kmac said:

Ah...your saying I should not have used my previous experience with Signanture at the very same airport as a guide instead of calling...

If I had called and they would have mentioned the new fees over the phone I would not have gone out of principle, not due to cost.

I can not find an excuse to charge a handling fee when absolutely nothing was handled whatsoever.  I was already willing to pay the $5 infrastructure fee.  I was prepared go in there and give them $5 and not even get anything for it...

In your estimation, where do the fees such as this become unreasonable?  Is a $15 infrastructure fee and $50 handling fee unless you buy fuel reasonable?  What about $25/$75?  The airport was already dead and will only get worse.  As stated I will not be returning.  Many others have already decided that any landing fee is unreasonable and would not go there or any airport with a "landing fee".  When I began flying I always thought "who cares about a cheap landing fee"... after yesterday I now side with the pilots who won't go to any airport with fees such as this out of principle...

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying money for something...I got the opposite of that there yesterday.  With my money I only bought hassle.  The lady at the desk was nice, but after I told her I wasn't buying fuel she could have mentioned that there was going to be a handling charge of $29 before I went to breakfast...

We all see things differently. In the grand scheme of the cost of owning an airplane, I don’t feel a private business owes me the right to park and use their facility and not expect a reasonable profit. If being able to park there and have a clean bathroom and a nice lounge and be able to go to breakfast wasn’t worth $11.02 ($5 plus $6.02 more for fuel that what you would have paid at your airport) then by all means boycott it.

• Like 2

@Kmac, as a rule I steer clear of these FBO’s and Signature especially. Sometimes you can’t avoid them and in those instances I always call ahead to see what to expect. 
Next time you may want to consider going to GED. Extremely reasonable fuel cost, nice restaurant, clean lounge and facilities, crew car, and a very generous fuel discount for eating at the restaurant. Plus the bonus of getting taxes refunded from the State of DE by submitting your receipts. Your net fuel cost comes under 4$/gal.
I fill up there regularly. Very nice people providing excellent service with a smile! No hassle and no fees! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, PTK said:

@Kmac, as a rule I steer clear of  these FBO’s and Signature especially. Sometimes you can’t avoid them and in those instances I always call ahead to see what to expect. 
Next time you may want to consider going to GED. Extremely reasonable fuel cost, nice restaurant, clean lounge and facilities, crew car, and a very generous discount for eating at the restaurant. Plus the bonus of getting taxes refunded from the State of DE by submitting your receipts. Your net fuel cost comes under 4$/gal.
I fill up there regularly. Very nice people providing excellent service with a smile! No hassle and no fees! 

Thanks for the recommendation.  I would like to go there...also never landed in Delaware yet...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

What I'm most curious about is what Signature promises the county when bidding for the contract. How does their offer differ than any other FBO that's vying for the same contract?

Pretty sure anyone can open an FBO on an airport that receives Federal funding and there isn’t much anyone can do to stop them other than throw hurdles at them. Our local government tried to block a local from putting in an FBO by saying we don’t need 2 FBO’s, FAA came down and handed the city a bill for past grants (it was in the millions). The bigger FBO’s probably do a fine job of generating tax dollars and that’s what cities love

2 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

We all see things differently. In the grand scheme of the cost of owning an airplane, I don’t feel a private business owes me the right to park and use their facility and not expect a reasonable profit. If being able to park there and have a clean bathroom and a nice lounge and be able to go to breakfast wasn’t worth $11.02 ($5 plus $6.02 more for fuel that what you would have paid at your airport) then by all means boycott it.

$11 net cost to use their facilities does not seem unreasonable to me.  Its the lack of communication when you aren't expecting a charge and then after the fact it shows up that is more of a problem.  Signature has become much better at that.  Their fees are now generally available on their website and if they aren't or it isn't clear, they are generally friendly on the phone when I call.  Despite the fact that with the fees they are only going to make a few dollars off me, I have felt just as welcome and taken care of as had I rolled up in a turbine or a jet.  Maybe I've been lucky but I don't see anything wrong here.

Edited by hypertech
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I agree that we all see thing differently and to varying degrees.  While one person may see a benefit for the services I was (or was not) provided another may just see inconvenience.  Before Signature acquired the FBO I believe that it was just run by the county and, to my recollection, just as well.  All of the same facilities were present.  The county does still own the airport.  It isn't even the fees which really caused me to start this thread...it was the overall inconvenience.  Again, someone was at the front desk, she was alone and had no other customers the entire time I was there.  Don't you think that when I said I didn't need fuel that she could have tried to help a customer by saying there will be a $29 handling fee then?

Again, I have no issues with paying money for a benefit.  I also have no issues paying fees to an airport that is busy and they need lineman to move aircraft and fuel airplanes,.  What I am saying is, in this case, if the lineman and office person weren't there at all I would have had a better experience...and don't forget...I was the only one there.

Last year I flew to Put-In-Bay.  They had an FBO where you paid the tie-down fees on an honor system.  If I could land at Chester County and talk to no one but slip a $5 in an envelope it would be better...  Also last year I dropped my brother off at Trenton airport to catch a commercial flight.  I used FlightServ there because I was able to use the crew car to drive around to the commercial side of the airport to drop him off.  I didn't create a thread bashing FlightServ then because I received a benefit for the money I gave them...

I would imagine, though, that Signature must be making a profit or else they wouldn't be there...I am sure they are not in the business of losing money.  I just don't see how they made money off of my visit anyway, or, why they should...

The reason I am "boycotting" this airport is because of the inconvenience that the FBO causes...not even necessarily the fees...

As @orionflt stated, the FBO made it inconvenient for people just to go to the restaurant...

Edited by Kmac
addition
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Last year I flew to Put-In-Bay.  They had an FBO where you paid the tie-down fees on an honor system.  If I could land at Chester County and talk to no one but slip a $5 in an envelope it would be better...  Also last year I dropped my brother off at Trenton airport to catch a commercial flight.  I used FlightServ there because I was able to use the crew car to drive around to the commercial side of the airport to drop him off.

The reason I am "boycotting" this airport is because of the inconvenience that the FBO causes...not even necessarily the fees...

As @orionflt stated, the FBO made it inconvenient for people just to go to the restaurant...

These are very good points.  Most times when I fly, I don't need services other than a tie-down and self service fuel.  The fact that Signature controls the only transient parking at MQS means I have to walk through their doors and "use" their "services."  I have zero issue with paying for services I want and need.  But take, for instance, my experiences at MPV (Montpelier, VT).  There is no need to even talk to the FBO there other than to pay the fuel bill.  There is sufficient transient parking there available at little cost (waived with a fuel purchase).  I generally don't need a car rental there because when we go there it is to visit family who will pick us up.

Same thing with Key West.  We have family there, so I don't see why I should pay a fee beyond a nominal parking fee and the cost of fuel.  I don't need "services" there very much. 

On the other hand, if I choose to fly to SRQ (Sarasota) I am happy to park at a big FBO because I don't have friends there, might need desk services, etc. 

We all need different things at different airports, and for individual pilots, these needs change with the mission.  What I take issue with is FBOs that have virtual monopolies on site facilities such as parking and fuel such that even a simple stop-over visit would incur significant charges, as if I were staying overnight in a strange city.

Most of these concerns could be addressed by having an inexpensive transient parking area and self service fuel, or even full service fuel at a higher per gallon price.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kmac said:

I agree that we all see thing differently and to varying degrees.  While one person may see a benefit for the services I was (or was not) provided another may just see inconvenience.  Before Signature acquired the FBO I believe that it was just run by the county and, to my recollection, just as well.  All of the same facilities were present.  The county does still own the airport.  It isn't even the fees which really caused me to start this thread...it was the overall inconvenience.  Again, someone was at the front desk, she was alone and had no other customers the entire time I was there.  Don't you think that when I said I didn't need fuel that she could have tried to help a customer by saying there will be a $29 handling fee then?

Again, I have no issues with paying money for a benefit.  I also have no issues paying fees to an airport that is busy and they need lineman to move aircraft and fuel airplanes,.  What I am saying is, in this case, if the lineman and office person weren't there at all I would have had a better experience...and don't forget...I was the only one there.

These seem like all legitimate complaints to me, and the most effective place to send such complaints is often to the airport manager or whatever entity owns the airport and manages the FBO contract.   Sounds like maybe it's the county in this case?   If you really want to make life difficult for the FBO, find a relevant elected official who doesn't like them and go from there.   Sometimes, though, there isn't one, and in those cases it might not matter how much or to whom one complains.   Maybe the AOPA might add it to their pile, but that might be as far as it goes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Maybe the AOPA might add it to their pile, but that might be as far as it goes.

Actually, MQS is specifically one of the airports AOPA has complained about with regard to this subject.  Unfortunately, AOPA hasn't gotten very far with this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

do you think AOPA spent time on FBO's overcharging an exorbitant amount of money over $11?  do u think I would boycott a place over $11?  maybe in the OP's case the difference was that low but obviously enough people felt the same way or else why would AOPA waste their time on such an impactful project?  signature at AVL charged me around $60 one time to park for a couple of hours.  we literally flew in (on a PnP mission no less), had lunch, and left a few hours later, after being force to pay $60.  I didn't need fuel, nor did I need to pay their >$6/gal fuel prices to save like $4 in fees.  and no one is saying they can't profit, my issue is when everyone else is either not charging or charges an extremely low rate, yet signature piles on the fees.  that's the issue for me.  go ahead and charge me $12-$15, even when other people aren't.  but $60* for no services other than parking?  GTFOH.

*I don't know if their fee structure has changed or not.  after being ripped off both there and RDU, I don't care to give them a single penny of mine.  but, if they changed their policy, I'd reconsider.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Personally I think if there is going to be Fee(s) at an FBO it should be very visible, I shouldn’t have to dig on the net or ask in advance. 

In Foreflight, tap on the FBO box in the upper right hand corner and select an FBO at a particular airport, again by tapping, this time on the FBO name. In the resulting screen tap on Fees. However, it is always important to call. I have an Angel Flight going through a Signature tomorrow. The plane will be parked overnight. Taking on some fuel but not alot, I am a single engine after all. In the phone call they said no fees.

One of the issues is that Signature is at quite a few of the larger airports and many of those charge a landing and/or usage fee that the FBO then has to pay, so it passes them on. 

Last year I flew to Put-In-Bay.  They had an FBO where you paid the tie-down fees on an honor system.  If I could land at Chester County and talk to no one but slip a $5 in an envelope it would be better...  Also last year I dropped my brother off at Trenton airport to catch a commercial flight.  I used FlightServ there because I was able to use the crew car to drive around to the commercial side of the airport to drop him off.  I didn't create a thread bashing FlightServ then because I received a benefit for the money I gave them...

I would imagine, though, that Signature must be making a profit or else they wouldn't be there...I am sure they are not in the business of losing money.  I just don't see how they made money off of my visit anyway, or, why they should...

As [mention=10475]orionflt[/mention] stated, the FBO made it inconvenient for people just to go to the restaurant...

There was a lot of corporate jet activity at KMQS and I suspect that is what keeps them going (and those transients paying the highest gas prices in the area).

You’re right, the airport is county owned and federally funded. The FBO was run by the county and a particular county executive was the reason Signature moved in. I would be curious to see where their FAA airport activity stats are now.

Rmag’s avionics/paint shop is on one side of the tarmac and you have Signature on the other. I’d be fine if they had a section of the ramp designated “no man’s land” that would allow me to park and not use Signature. BTW - the restroom are in the county building shared by the now gone restaurant and the FBO. KMQS is a ghost town.

In contrast, my airport is township owned. Run by an energetic airport manager who was responsible for securing federal funds to redo the entire runway complete with new lights, brand new T and box hangars, start up a maintenance shop that is booked solid and manages to keep fuel & hangar costs more than competitive in the area.

Taken last week:

f2bf153ab6eafe5f6a50d68996631adf.jpg

In addition he brings in additional revenue through an annual air show, hot air balloon festival and aviation summer camps (of course COVID has changed all this for the summer).

GA can survive at small airports if the ownership is willing to partake in an approach to foster GA. Not nickel and dime them to death.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5