Mooney wing tip lens

jezzie

Hey!     A Jezzie sighting!

Long time no see...

:)

I think we met up at KOSH at the MAPA tent with Mitch about 8 or 9 years ago... GJEZ was undergoing a lot of restoration....

If I’m wrong forgive me....

Other possible places to find acrylic lenses... If Dan is unable... GLAP... https://www.glapinc.com

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I recently needed a right hand wingtip lens for my 201. None of the Mooney service centers I contacted had any. LASAR quoted $149, but none expected until next month. The MSC in Florida’s put me n touch with Great Lakes Aero; they make them for Mooney, but none in stock.

Chandler aviation put me on to Knots2U. They stock the part and mine should arrive tomorrow. The price with shipping is about $320.

I suspect the next batch at LASAR will be a little more expensive.

1 hour ago, flyer338 said:

I recently needed a right hand wingtip lens for my 201. None of the Mooney service centers I contacted had any. LASAR quoted $149, but none expected until next month. The MSC in Florida’s put me n touch with Great Lakes Aero; they make them for Mooney, but none in stock.

Chandler aviation put me on to Knots2U. They stock the part and mine should arrive tomorrow. The price with shipping is about $320.

That’s just horsemanure. I could not ask that of anyone. Stealing...I will fly without before paying that...

40 minutes ago, Missile=Awesome said:

That’s just horsemanure. I could not ask that of anyone. Stealing...I will fly without before paying that...

38 minutes ago, Missile=Awesome said:

#ripoff. #inflated. #what is a reasonable profit?

It is one of the negatives of owning a certified aircraft. Having said that there are more positives than negatives when it comes to airplane ownership.

I'm just grateful there are places such as LASAR or SWTA who can supply much needed parts.

A workaround is to have a mould of each wingtip lens made up then take the moulds to a plastics/acrylic manufacturer to make the lens when needed. Whether that would be cheaper, I don't know. However if such parts become scarce, you will always have a ready supply.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Missile=Awesome said:

Wait until you need the thin black plastic housing for the strobes that sits behind the lens.  I almost had a stroke when they told me how much.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, flyer338 said:

It took LASAR about one to two weeks to find wingtip lenses for me.  Just received them last Friday.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mooney in Oz said:

A workaround is to have a mould of each wingtip lens made up then take the moulds to a plastics/acrylic manufacturer to make the lens when needed. Whether that would be cheaper, I don't know. However if such parts become scarce, you will always have a ready supply.

Vacuum forming would be much better! Faster, cheaper, some people vacuum form parts for RC airplanes in their kitchen ovens. The wing tip lens may be a glod candidate for that, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mooney in Oz said:

It is one of the negatives of owning a certified aircraft. Having said that there are more positives than negatives when it comes to airplane ownership.

I'm just grateful there are places such as LASAR or SWTA who can supply much needed parts.

I disagree. There are companies that make acrylic parts and charging over $100 for a simple plastic part is obscene. It is wrong on every level. I am all about making a reasonable profit, but this is W.R.O.N.G!

6 minutes ago, Missile=Awesome said:

I disagree. There are companies that make acrylic parts and charging over $100 for a simple plastic part is obscene. It is wrong on every level. I am all about making a reasonable profit, but this is W.R.O.N.G!

Hey, I agree with you and greatly dislike having to pay exorbitant aircraft parts cost as much as you and other aircraft owners. But realistically that is the situation with owning a certified aircraft whether we like it or not, know matter how simple the part is. This has been the case for at least 40 plus years that I have been involved in this industry.

None of this makes it right, but it is what it is and needs to be taken into serious consideration before buying a certified aircraft.

Try owning a Beechcraft or Cessna. Paying for those parts would have the same result as peeling onions.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Missile=Awesome said:

If the parts actually fit, it wouldn't be so bad. But they overhang the edge by over 1/2" at the wide spot and barely 1/4" at the narrow spot, like they are cut crooked . . . . So after trimming to fit, you get to mark the screw holes and drill them out then countersink the holes.

Edited by Hank
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Hank said:

If the parts actually fit, it wouldn't be so bad. But they overhang the edge by over 1/2" at the wide spot and barely 1/4" at the narrow spot, like they are cut crooked . . . . So after trimming to fit, you get to mark the screw holes and drill them out then countersink the holes.

So >$3.5 bilks for pos part...sweet

2 hours ago, Mooney in Oz said:

I am a twenty year owner. Eyes wide open. Calling out shenanigans squared when I see them. It is a simple lens. No electronics. No special engineering. Just a mark up to stupidtown....I see rationalizing when outrage or righteous indignation seems not only appropriate, but warranted...

• Like 1

I saw the lens for sale on eBay. The delivery time was not soon enough. I need it by 8/22 in order to leave for a week long trip. I gasped at he price, but on the other hand, just being able to get a part for an orphaned airplane is something.