Installing Surefly in a Rocket.

Austintatious

44 minutes ago, carusoam said:

The pi plane needs a touch more left rudder during the snap... :)

PP thoughts only, not an aerobatics coach...

Best regards,

-a- 

Ooops!

It does fly well rigged and centered when in level flight. 

Thanks for pointing out that I need to improve my aerobatics.

On 8/8/2020 at 9:34 AM, aviatoreb said:

They are nice, but they take up a lot more panel real estate.

On 8/8/2020 at 9:34 AM, aviatoreb said:

They do - but it still fits nicely where the old one was.  Still - you are right - they should have made one with a slightly smaller footprint.

Here’s a possible alternative to the ElectroAir switch panel.  I’ve been working on this idea that I got from the RV mafia (an endearing term because they have some really smart people in that camp).  Space required is two DPDT toggle switches.  There’s variances on this option, obviously, to include a start button or rely on a single toggle for start instead of two toggles in series to energize the starter.

529DDA49-F185-4B2C-9BAD-216EF750B7E9.jpeg

824125EE-EBE6-4509-B754-6A6FF3AC69A2.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 47U said:

Here’s a possible alternative to the ElectroAir switch panel.  I’ve been working on this idea that I got from the RV mafia (an endearing term because they have some really smart people in that camp).  Space required is two DPDT toggle switches.  There’s variances on this option, obviously, to include a start button or rely on a single toggle for start instead of two toggles in series to energize the starter.

529DDA49-F185-4B2C-9BAD-216EF750B7E9.jpeg

824125EE-EBE6-4509-B754-6A6FF3AC69A2.jpeg

What will you use for the starter switch?

I am sure it can be built, cheaper and with a smaller footprint as desired - but is it legal?  Electro air is certified with STC.

26 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

What will you use for the starter switch?

I am sure it can be built, cheaper and with a smaller footprint as desired - but is it legal?  Electro air is certified with STC.

In this version, it takes both toggle switches in the ‘UP’ position to close the circuit to the starter solenoid.  One switch up by itself won’t do it.  I think that’s a good safety feature (similar to the ‘Push to Start’ on the Bendix).  If a push-button starter switch is preferred, that’d be easy to incorporate.

From FAR 43 - Major Changes:  (xii) Changes to the basic design of the fuel, oil, cooling, heating, cabin pressurization, electrical, hydraulic, de-icing, or exhaust systems.

As for legality, certainly talk to your A&P/IA for their opinion.  But, there’s a lot of airplanes with toggle switches controlling the mag switches instead of a Bendix-style rotary switch.  I can’t see this as anything but a minor modification.  Schematically, the electrons flow to where they’re supposed to just like Mooney designed it and no additional relays or solenoids are used.  Only the switches are different, and they’re Mil-Spec switches approved for aviation applications.  I don’t think the ‘basic design’ of the circuitry has changed.

tom

• Like 2

Nothing says the Bendix switch is very good either...

It has a tendency to wear out after 50years...

My M20C’s went 45 years and decided not to work the day it got sold...  guess it didn’t like the new owner much... :)

Just because it looks like an ordinary toggle switch... doesn’t mean that it is an ordinary toggle switch either...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• 4 weeks later...

@Austintatious @RocketAviator @aviatoreb @Gatlin Gun @PJClark @Cody Stallings @Yooper Rocketman @SpamPilot  

hopefully I haven’t forgotten anyone. I included Yooper Rocketman and AviatorEB for their expertise as well. My IA went to install the mag on my Rocket and after the difficult running of the wire to the tail, discovered that the mag would not fit to replace the left mag, even with adjusting the drive gear. The fuel flow transducer combined with the wire studs limited the movement making it impossible to time on the left side. Getting a new harness and we will install it on the right. I’m not sure if all rockets (or m20k’s for that matter @gsxrpilot ?) are configured this way, but it is worth noting. 

If there’s something we’re missing, let us know, but I suspect this might be a potential issue for other rocket owners as well. 

BA1F6751-6239-4434-88B4-32EBF092EF08.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey FYI... I got a surely installed on one of my rockets  (other still needs to be done)...  It is installed on the RIGHT side. 

You have to remove the ground bar on the start switch.

READ THIS!

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT

The dip switch positions are incorrect in the installation manual for the rocket TSIO installation!  IIRC it the the direction of rotation switch position that is wrong according to the documentation.  We had to consult Surefly after not being able to get a spark.   They are aware of this and will be changing the manual, but you likely have the old one.