Need Dukes Fuel Pump p/n 1499-00-21 for '69 M20C

I would send it to AeroMotors.  They just overhauled mine for $450.  If I put in a used one, I would not be very confident in it.  There are a few threads on here saying that Aeromotors makes some improvements to the pump design.  

http://www.aeromotorsllc.com/aeromotorsllc/

Also, make sure you have a spare knife connector (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/32446.php) and a ring connector so that you can reinstall it.  It is returned with bare wires.  And, ask them to include the o-rings for the fittings.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GLJA said:

I might have a spare here. 
I  think it’s the 00-19 however if i remember correctly. 
74F

I think that pump is for an IO-360 and operates at a higher pressure.  He would need part numbers 4140-00-21A or 1499-00-21.

Just now, ArtVandelay said:

Yes, mixing and matching fuel pumps is not a good thing.

Send Aeromotors, takes a week, plus 1 week of shipping...you’ll have it back in 2 weeks.

When I talked to them, they also mentioned they may have a spare to swap to speed the process.  They service a lot of different pumps so the availability probably varies a lot.  I wasn't in a particular rush so I just sent mine in and they turned it around in a day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cferr59 said:

I would send it to AeroMotors.  They just overhauled mine for $450.  If I put in a used one, I would not be very confident in it.  There are a few threads on here saying that Aeromotors makes some improvements to the pump design.  

http://www.aeromotorsllc.com/aeromotorsllc/

This...^^^^^

They turned mine same day.  The Dukes pumps run much better after an AeroMotors overhaul. Ive had mine OH'd several times. The last one done by AeroMotors made a significant difference in pump performance.  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Check to see if it’s really NPT there...  if so, does it use Teflon tape?

Teflon tape has been eliminated from most of the Mooneys...

There is one or two spots that still may have it...

The problem with Teflon tape...it can easily show up downstream... after it  sheds some bits...

Use care...  do you have a parts manual, and a maintenance manual..?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Quick related PIREP on replacing my M20C's Dukes 4140-00-21A which recently died after 1500hrs and 17 years in service since overhaul.  I needed to replace in a hurry to make Oshkosh so I overnighted a drop in replacement new CJ Aviation 4140-00-21ACJ pump rather than overhaul the Dukes again or put in a Weldon pump, which requires a conversion kit with extra labor rather than being a simple drop in replacement.  New pump was ~1395 plus ship (in stock at Spruce), plus a 400 dollar core charge hold until the core is returned (Dukes pump is acceptable core).  The CJ pump has better internals than the Dukes but still has plastic vanes, is not rated for continuous duty, and shouldn't be run dry for more than a few seconds.  In my plane, it runs much quieter and produces a higher and more rapid rise in fuel pressure than the old Dukes.  Install was pretty easy but not entirely trouble free.

Related pro tip: if the newly installed pump doesn't raise fuel pressure immediately after turning on, push mixture in actuate the accelerator pump by pumping the throttle repeatedly until the fuel pressure comes up. Also, stop pumping as soon as the pressure comes up or you'll get a flooded carb and fuel all over your nosewheel.