next upgrade for an M20F

On 8/7/2020 at 4:33 AM, Ragsf15e said:

Yep the F is fuel injected.  It’s just an older version of the J.  I can get my FF down that far as well, LOP, maybe around 9,000’ wide open throttle and 2500ish rpm.  It’s smooth but it’s not real speedy there.  Maybe 135ish kts.  I bet you could get the J you fly down that low.  

the power settings I always use are key number 47 (rpm+map=47 so 22+2500 or 23.5/23.5 lower or 26/2100 higher), ram air on, I get 33 litres an hour at peak/or tiny lop which is 8.7 gal/hr, and always get 141/143kts between 7000 and 11000ft density altitude. A litre less per 1k higher or more lower works out roughly the same EGTs. Dialing in more fuel and rpm gives me a few more knots (maybe 3 or 4 ?) for significantly more fuel flow , leaning more LOP I lose more knots. So that's what I have been using for the past decade and 1000+ hrs and it seems very happy there and super efficient, CHTs always the same too , 295/330/335/310 give or take a couple degrees. I sent my downloads to Gami and they told me my stock injectors are already well balanced, credit to them. I did six 2h30/3h flights this past week across France, what a nice stable efficient travelling machine the Mooney is!

On 8/6/2020 at 11:33 AM, RLCarter said:

.. PowerFlo might give more hp but to me they look like crap and don’t sound that good

Just a caviat on this...the PowerFlow does not "add" horsepower- it simply robs less HP than stock, its still a parasitic loss. I've seen some people think it "adds" to the stock engine output.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 10:56 AM, FloridaMan said:

Portable O2 system with Mountain High O2D2. You’ll be amazed how much better you feel when you land. After 1100 hours of M20F time when I bought my rocket and started being on the bottle for long high altitude flights, as required, I noticed that I wasn’t fatigued like I would be after a long flight in the M20F. 

A big factor in that is also the significantly smoother engine due to the 6 banger. In conclusion, the best upgrade is to get rid of the F, and get a K, M, R, or TN.

Have you tried the simple mod? such as brake caliper rotation ?  you move the brake caliper to the front of the  brake disc. it  essentially rotates brake caliper out of the slip steam, Not sure it is the same on the the F model but on the C model it picks up a few MPH/KTS. also there  is flap gap /aileron  gap seals that help as well. 

James '67C

11 minutes ago, Gagarin said:

Pilot relief tube is the best mod I had. No need to worry about drops on your pants because the suction is very effective

1376322987_ReliefVenturiinMooney.thumb.jpg.cc7b4f5a7db80c7a4584329726b86000.jpg

And doubles on a vacuum for the carpets when you’re done peeing!

Clarence

1 hour ago, Gagarin said:

Pilot relief tube is the best mod I had. No need to worry about drops on your pants because the suction is very effective

1376322987_ReliefVenturiinMooney.thumb.jpg.cc7b4f5a7db80c7a4584329726b86000.jpg

The PA46 I fly has one of those.  I definitely try to keep people from using it but it has happened twice in two years.  There is a solid page of warnings about corrosion in the poh if you don’t clean the system and the outside of the airplane all the way to the tail immediately after use.  Baking soda and water.  Lots.  Something about the empennage corroding right off the airplane.  WD-40 probably help though...

• 3 months later...
On 8/24/2020 at 4:44 PM, Ragsf15e said:

The PA46 I fly has one of those.  I definitely try to keep people from using it but it has happened twice in two years.  There is a solid page of warnings about corrosion in the poh if you don’t clean the system and the outside of the airplane all the way to the tail immediately after use.  Baking soda and water.  Lots.  Something about the empennage corroding right off the airplane.  WD-40 probably help though...

This is an old thread, but if you get some Gatorade bottles and warm up the opening with a heat gun, the plastic will be able to be expanded to double the size opening to make it useful.  Disposable, so you don’t have to share.

Reviving a José original, I see..  :)

Sure... you can alter the shape and size of the P-bottle... since PETE can be warmed to about the boiling point of water when it softens and can be formed...

But now the fun begins... how do you get the cap back on after the threads have been stretched over-size?

Hmmmmmm.....

Best regards,

-a-

On 8/6/2020 at 6:01 PM, carusoam said:

Low cost items for the Pre-modern Mooneys...

My C wanted...

• Fuel Flow gauge
  • Engine monitor
  • Ceis digital fuel level indicators...

The one piece windshield is really nice...fits exactly where the old two piece is... just loses the middle strip...

The F has the original two piece side windows...  Easy to swap out for the J style side window... Just loses the middle strip...

new carpet...

New side wall coverings...

Dynamic Prop balance...

Got a GPS already?

See what Alan has on the shelf... pre-flownEd avionics...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

Can you provide contact details/URLs to get to Alan?

41 minutes ago, johnnyu said:

Can you provide contact details/URLs to get to Alan?

Finding @Alan Fox is as simple as typing this blue box with his name in it...

You can send him a PM by clicking this blue box too...

If that doesn’t work... I know he has a cell phone...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1