Anybody know anything about Garmin G500 databases?

In my new bird I have a G500, a GTN750, and a 430W.  I’ve updated the databases on the GTN via the flight stream 510.  Manually on the 430W.  Chart/database streaming is turned on for the G500, but for some reason they’re not sending over.  Does anyone know why? They all say “not auth”, but show the current cycle that’s on the 750. Ideas?

81E4E64F-1DBB-4014-A760-AC91ABC00B73.jpeg

Could be simple...
Or may require a really good electrical engineer to figure out....

Let’s see if @donkaye is around...  (Garmin database loading AUTH question)

Could be the facial recognition program....  High alert... Mooney driver trying to upload unauthorized data into a twin....   :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

Garmin has a good overview here - https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=l82YFo8FhK0m4CcVOUmXi7

You need to check that you have recent enough software versions on both boxes.

Also during the database download on flygarmin.com, there is an option to update 750 only or download databases for synchronization - assuming you picked the synchronization option here.

Looks like a new subscription hasn't been set up properly on the licensing side. I suggest you call Garmin Technical support when you're in the hangar so they can get it all sorted out for you. But it look like you have done the proper setup on your end because the data is going to the G500. But I suspect its either the wrong data for the G500 or they set up your license to include the proper system ID number on your G500 - perhaps that info passed to them was incorrect. But they can and will check all out when you call. 

don't think there is anything you can do alone to fix this but would love to surprised otherwise!

2 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

In my new bird I have a G500, a GTN750, and a 430W.  I’ve updated the databases on the GTN via the flight stream 510.  Manually on the 430W.  Chart/database streaming is turned on for the G500, but for some reason they’re not sending over.  Does anyone know why? They all say “not auth”, but show the current cycle that’s on the 750. Ideas?

81E4E64F-1DBB-4014-A760-AC91ABC00B73.jpeg

How long did you wait before giving up?  My experience has been that it could take around 10 minutes before data starts transmitting.  Prior to that I was getting the not authorized message just as you are getting when I had the legacy G500.  I don't know why it takes so long for the database sync to start transmitting.  Of course this may not be your problem.  It was mine.  Even when it worked Charts would take forever to transfer unless you flew over an hour.  It did transfer over immediately the Charts associated with you flight plan.  The whole thing is pretty Kludgy.    With the G500 TXi I just download the data to the card and upload it.  I use database concierge and then database sync to get data to the GTN 750 Xi and then the GTN 650 Xi.  It even takes 5 minutes before database sync kicks in to the GTN to GTN transfer on the new units.

• Like 1

If the Charts are current in the GTN 750 (updated) but not yet in the G500 the 500 shows the updated chart from the GTN. That’s how mine works. It does take a while to sync. Be careful, the G500 often needs to restart after update.....I’ve aborted takeoffs due to it shutting down on takeoff roll. As Don says, this may or may not be your problem. 

Do you have the "Database Sync" Databases or just the one for the GTN?  That may be the issue.  You have to have all of your unit's System ID Numbers and select the download on Fly Garmin for "Database Sync" for the databases.  If you do not, the reason why is you cannot only purchase one DB for the GTN and share it with the other units in the aircraft unless it is in that specific format. 

If I can help, let me know

20 hours ago, kortopates said:

Looks like a new subscription hasn't been set up properly on the licensing side. I suggest you call Garmin Technical support when you're in the hangar so they can get it all sorted out for you. But it look like you have done the proper setup on your end because the data is going to the G500. But I suspect its either the wrong data for the G500 or they set up your license to include the proper system ID number on your G500 - perhaps that info passed to them was incorrect. But they can and will check all out when you call. 

don't think there is anything you can do alone to fix this but would love to surprised otherwise!

That's what I'll do.  It looks like I have all the correct databases in my account.  

Screenshot_20200806-170437_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200806-170517_Chrome.jpg

Well, as is often the case, the problem wasn't the hardware.  It was the software.  And by software, I mean my dumb ass.  

I called garmin, went through everything, they decided it must be a corrupt data card.  So they had me take the cards home, format them and manually load the databases.  Did that. Went back to the Hangar.  Put them in.  GTN works fine, G500 still didn't work.  I was pulling my hair out.  I was flipping through aux pages on the G500 and saw the system ID.  It was at that point I realized what the problem was.

When I set up my account, I entered the serial number for the G500.  Not the system ID.  Doh. It wouldn't authorize because the DB cards were looking for the wrong system ID. 

Called garmin again this morning and they got me squared away.  Everything is now operational!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, as is often the case, the problem wasn't the hardware.  It was the software.  And by software, I mean my dumb ass.  
I called garmin, went through everything, they decided it must be a corrupt data card.  So they had me take the cards home, format them and manually load the databases.  Did that. Went back to the Hangar.  Put them in.  GTN works fine, G500 still didn't work.  I was pulling my hair out.  I was flipping through aux pages on the G500 and saw the system ID.  It was at that point I realized what the problem was.
When I set up my account, I entered the serial number for the G500.  Not the system ID.  Doh. It wouldn't authorize because the DB cards were looking for the wrong system ID. 
Called garmin again this morning and they got me squared away.  Everything is now operational!!

Thought so!
But if it was your GTN card the data would never have made it to G500, let alone the GTN. Usually they are better than that. I am surprised the System ID wasn't one of the first things they checked since it was a new subscription.
You should be good for ever now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk