Portable Auto Pilot

What do you think of this?

Might be fun in my old low dollar valued Mooney where installing a complete auto pilot system may not make financial sense.

New portable autopilot could save lives

AUGUST 3, 2020 BY GENERAL AVIATION NEWS STAFF 9 COMMENTS

By DAVID G. DIVOKY

Portapilot-Left-View-Acuator-Disengaged. PORTAPILOT COMPUTER RENDERING WITH ACTUATOR DISCONNECTED.

This portable and personal autopilot is appropriately named the PortaPilot. It is adaptable to several aircraft types and is small enough to fit in a case like that of an aviation headset.

It was tested and proven over many flight hours and FAA regimented flight tests to be a solid performer. However, being portable puts this device in a category where the FAA has no oversight as it relates to certification.

The PortaPilot is simple to use. Once at a safe altitude, snap it in, and it will grab the controls without hesitation. Just as easily, snap it out when it is no longer needed.

The single axis model of the PortaPilot levels the wings (LVL), keeping the shiny side up, while it also provides controlled turns when commanded to do so.

In its heading mode (HDG), it will fly a pilot-selected magnetic heading, and when navigation mode is selected (NAV) it will track a flight plan programmed into a GPS navigator, or follow a precise Direct-To-Course with the precision of 60 feet. It operates with or without a portable or panel GPS navigator.

Portapilot-Right-View-Installed.jpg?ssl= PORTAPILOT RIGHT SIDE COMPUTER RENDERING WITH ACTUATOR IN PLACE.

It is important to note that autopilots add flight comfort and reduce fatigue and workload in the cockpit, which can be high in certain situations. However, it also presents added complexity. That’s why the PortaPilot is recommended for use by pilots with more than 200 flight hours and day VFR operations at altitudes above 2,000 feet AGL. 

The PortaPilot incorporates its own inertial platform Attitude Heading and Reference System (AHRS) and is therefore independent of aircraft instruments, making it a great backup in various emergency situations. In case of an aircraft electrical failure, the optional backup battery provides over an hour of operation. 

Portapilot-User-Interface-Pilot-Control- PORTAPILOT COMPUTER RENDERING OF PILOT CONTROL MODULE.

During spatial disorientation, it can maintain safe flight, allowing the pilot recovery time.

Another beneficial element of the PortaPilot is its efficiency in the form of improved fuel consumption, reduced flight time, precise compliance with airspace restrictions, improved flight efficiency for a single pilot on a long or complex flight, and accurate flight path and vector tracking.

Tee uses the PortaPilot every time he flies. In his words, he became “spoiled and lazy.”

The graphic below is a FlightAware ATC record of a flight test on May 19, 2020. Most of this flight was the hard work of the PortaPilot. Note the accurate ground track of the NAV system in HDG mode, which translates to time and fuel savings. Compare this to some hand flown tracks.

Also worth noting is the heading accuracy and stability in this data segment: N 344 to N 345. There is further data, such as the GND speed changing from 100 to 120 at the course reversal point (10 knot wind component).

PortaPilot-FligthAware-Flight-Path.jpg?s
PortaPilot-FlightAware-Flight-Data.jpg?s

Once available, the cost for the kit is expected to be below $2,000 for the single axis (NAV) model. The VNAV model adds altitude hold and will be priced below $3,000.

The biggest selling point (in my mind) is that it is the only autopilot that is equally useful to both renters and owners of small single engine aircraft. This aspect makes the PortaPilot not only unique, but also versatile and cost effective.

Just now, LANCECASPER said:

Is this from the same people that gave us the PortaPotty?   

If this thing malfunctions and takes over at the wrong moment, having a PortaPotty handy  might be useful.

My favorite so far..... although I like all ..... :D

5 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

They could maybe even team up with Depends for a disposable PortaPotty solution . .  their slogan could be "To boldly go where no man has gone before. . . "

All seriousness aside (:lol:), some friends years ago tested the idea of wearing Depends in their living room thinking they might be applicable to some cross country Mooney flights......after several hours in front of the TV, they decided against the idea......... yuck!:wacko:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, wcb said:

honestly looks long for the Mooney yoke?

Hmmmmm...... yes, I thought the same thing.

Article says for C150, C152, C172.......that sort of thing...... maybe not for Mooney. 

Watching their video, I’m wondering if the unit telescopes in and out along the yoke shaft.....I think I’ll inquire out of curiosity.

I think it’s pretty cool regardless.

If it would have been available a year ago I would have considered it until GFC500 is approved(I think it is less than 3 months away for the F .... at least I hope).  I have no wing leveler or any sort of autopilot, it was inop and nobody serviced them.

It looks like from some of the verbiage they are working on different models.

21 hours ago, wcb said:

I think it is less than 3 months away for the F .... at least I hope).

You and me both.  Garmin has had my F since the end of February.   Let's just say Mooney surprised the Garmin engineers with the differences between models.  They have had to go back to drawing board a couple of times to address issues with the servo mounts.  Orginally,  early August was the goal, now it looks like early October. 

29 minutes ago, kpaul said:

You and me both.  Garmin has had my F since the end of February.   Let's just say Mooney surprised the Garmin engineers with the differences between models.  They have had to go back to drawing board a couple of times to address issues with the servo mounts.  Orginally,  early August was the goal, now it looks like early October. 

Wow!  I did not think there was that much difference in the F and the J!

1 hour ago, kerry said:

I have a wing leveler.  I would be interested if they had a version for pitch only.  Looking at the illustrations I don't see how it can attach to the instrument panel or the bushing the yoke shaft goes through. 

Article said they will provide pitch control and cost will be a bit more for such.

I've sent inquiry to the company regarding Mooney fitment.

I do find it interesting and it might be fun.  I'll update once I learn.  We'll see. 

21 hours ago, kpaul said:

I was not impressed with their existing Mooney servo installation, so maybe they'll fix it for the earlier models.   One can hope.  I would have thought that they would taken a quick survey of various models and installation methods before going with what they did, which I though was the worst possible approach.