Paint scheme thoughts

kris_adams

So I kept expanding the scope of my avionics upgrade so painting got delayed.  I'm still hoping for next spring potentially.  I hired Scheme Designers to give me some ideas.  I'm thinking: 5-1, 5-2, or 6-1. 6-2.    Here's the link for all of the designs. https://www.schemedesigners.com/MooneyM20J-Adams/   Scheme 3 is definitely out.  I think it looks pretty cool on the long-bodies but not my fav on the mid. 

We haven't decided on exact colors but this is one of our favorites.  Thoughts on the scheme?

As most of you know already Scheme Designers has been great to work with.

-K

image.png.cb5c58de1b51b19e187e89464dce878b.png

image.png.a53e478c82c5adfed97e9596d2474f10.png

Edited by Kris_Adams
  • Like 2

So exciting for you with getting a new scheme/new paint for your Mooney.  

I really like the paint scheme addition behind the aft most side windows! It appears to give length to the window area yet the flow is nicely broken up with the large white paint area between that area and the rear colored section.  :)

Those both look pretty cool to me !!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Danb said:

5-2 looks amazing 

Yes, as I study more, I agree.  

The roundness of the scheme on the engine cowling area seems more appropriate with the mid body fuselage.

A metallic medium dark blue with a  medium metallic silver would look terrific!

Kris..... do make sure that whatever you wind up with will cause no regrets and you’ll get that special thrill each time you open that hangar door!! 

Just my opinion.....

So awesome!!!:)

• Like 1

I was definitely leaning towards the cowl in 5-2 then I saw another Mooney with the front of 6-2.  I actually like both and would love to see them both on a real plane in person lol.  Also still have to decide on what to do with the wings but I think that will be a much easier decision.

1 minute ago, Kris_Adams said:

I was definitely leaning towards the cowl in 5-2 then I saw another Mooney with the front of 6-2.  I actually like both and would love to see them both on a real plane in person lol.  Also still have to decide on what to do with the wings but I think that will be a much easier decision.

Kris you have a paint shop at Griffing (Tony Dias ) will do a great job.  6-2 definitely. I painted my Ovation there in 2015

Just now, Angelfall said:

Kris you have a paint shop at Griffing (Tony Dias ) will do a great job.  6-2 definitely. I painted my Ovation there in 2015

I'll either have Hawk or Tony do the paint.  I was happy to see him listed on Scheme Designer's list of recommended shops.  Where are you based?  I'd love to see how it looks especially after 5 years.  I know Tony does really high-end work so I'm sure your plane is beautiful.  -K

Just now, Kris_Adams said:

I'll either have Hawk or Tony do the paint.  I was happy to see him listed on Scheme Designer's list of recommended shops.  Where are you based?  I'd love to see how it looks especially after 5 years.  I know Tony does really high-end work so I'm sure your plane is beautiful.  -K

I am based in Costa Rica, it still looks great but It has always been hangared . I visit GA every year.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Angelfall said:

I am based in Costa Rica, it still looks great but It has always been hangared . I visit GA every year.

I cover Costa Rica from El Salvador. Next time I am in San Jose we should get together. May be I can even fly there. The only problem I see in flying into San Jose are the high costs at Tobias Bolanos.

Oscar

3 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

The roundness of the scheme on the engine cowling area seems more appropriate with the mid body fuselage.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This is exactly why I prefer 6.2, the pointy forward edge looks better to me.

3 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

A metallic medium dark blue with a  medium metallic silver would look terrific!

I agree with this part! And the pride of ownership. As much as I like my Mooney, I think I'd like it even more if had designed the paint job, and having it tweaked / adjusted / improved by a professional wouldn't change that at all!

• Like 1

Way cool!

After reviewing the drawings...

I picked one that stood out...

To realize it was the colors standing out...

I would have to look at all the various designs in the blue color scheme... to then pick which design I liked....

The good news... 5-2 was a blue one, I liked it....   :)

Nice drawings... Nice plane... nice colors... tough choices...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I like the first one 6-2. The skinny forward part makes it look hella fast. 

Just a hat tip - look at my tail. I have the same colors and I asked them to pain the tail in the least noticeable but still legal 12” numbers - went with gray at it looks great because it doesn’t interfere with the front to back lines.  If you need something to break up a big patch of white, use shadowed or darker colored lettering, like Oscar. . 

*** edit.  It’s 6-2 I like with the pointy 

• Like 1

This is sooo personal and subjective.  There really isn't a wrong choice.  Personally, I like a little more white on the cowl.  I prefer the 1A1 and 4-1, but I've heard others mention concerns with short and mid bodies.  

Are you doing interior, too?

• Like 1

Since you asked ;) I think I like 2-5 the best, with 2A-1 in second place. All that said, I don't know much about art, I just know what I like...

Edited by tmo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, rbridges said:

This is sooo personal and subjective.  There really isn't a wrong choice.  Personally, I like a little more white on the cowl.  I prefer the 1A1 and 4-1, but I've heard others mention concerns with short and mid bodies.  

Are you doing interior, too?

Probably a minor tune up...nothing major for a while...I'd really love to take it to Hector and let him do his magic...easily hits $15k though

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bradp said:

Just a hat tip - look at my tail. I have the same colors and I asked them to pain the tail in the least noticeable but still legal 12” numbers - went with gray at it looks great because it doesn’t interfere with the front to back lines.  If you need something to break up a big patch of white, use shadowed or darker colored lettering, like Oscar. .

Great tip.  I asked the designer to make it an outline so it wasn't so noticeable.  I'd like to go with the least visible, yet still legal option.  I'll get then to lighten the color.

Hard to describe the numbers treatments...

3D shadows on the numbers works pretty well....

Matching background color to the color of the numbers makes them harder to see.... less visible... they blend in...

Be sure to check both sides of the plane to see what they look like... forwards and backwards....

Now... about the nose art... 6-2 looks a bit more like an Eagle’s beak....   there are a few Mooneys that have been altered intentionally this way... more beak, less tidal wave... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Hard to describe the numbers treatments...

3D shadows on the numbers works pretty well....
Matching background color to the color of the numbers makes them harder to see.... less visible... they blend in...

Be sure to check both sides of the plane to see what they look like... forwards and backwards....

Now... about the nose art... 6-2 looks a bit more like an Eagle’s beak....   there are a few Mooneys that have been altered intentionally this way... more beak, less tidal wave... 
Best regards,
-a-

12” numbers on our small planes don’t blend in.

Some can revert back to 2” numbers (pre 1982?).

If you need 12” numbers for international flight, painters tape or vinyl make you legal.
  • Like 1