Aspen PFD w/ GI275 backup for AS/ATT/ALT?

So I have a non max Aspen PFD with a GI275.  My question is doI still need another A/S and ALT steam gauge or does the GI275 which displays AS/ALT suffice? 

"

Which backup instruments are required if I install the Evolution system?

The installation of a single 1000 Pro PFD requires a back-up attitude indicator, altimeter, and airspeed indicator in most standard installs"

9 minutes ago, Schinderhannes said:

You need A/S, Altitude, whiskey compass, and Attitude with standby battery 

ASPEN03.JPG

Which the Gi275 covers the backup Attitude part for sure.  I just have a hard time understanding why the AS and ALT it displays doesn't count for the backup of those 2 as well.    

Ignore the Aspen for a moment. Can the GI275 be installed as the only AI and without additional AS and ALT instruments? I don't know myself and the installation documents aren't available publicly. 

If it can... then you might have a case. Comparing it to the G5 which can be installed as the AI or as the Turn/bank  but still requires separate AS/ALT's. If that's the case with the 275 as well, I think you'll have to have the separate AS/ALT. And I don't think the Aspen mitigates that.

Now if you add a second Aspen screen, then you don't need the AS or ALT. And if both Aspens are MAX units, you don't need the 275 either.

Even if the GI275 is one of those mystical creatures know as "egg-laying and milk-giving wool-pig” Aspen's STC is very clear on where the standby instruments have to be installed and you will encounter one of the inherit short comings of the "egg-laying and milk-giving wool-pig” it can't be at multiple places at the same time. 

Wollmilchsau.png

ASPEN01.JPG.597bdb4b48b4a9606c802d44d9f8d3ee.JPG

• Like 1

It's just crazy this is IFR legal. If you add glass though, from my perspective, you need more backups to be legal. Doesn't seem logical.  I have a crap altimeter that needs replaced and was hoping to not need to buy or O/H it, but oh well to Naylor Instruments it goes.  

IFR.jpg

7 minutes ago, Schinderhannes said:

Even if the GI275 is one of those mystical creatures know as "egg-laying and milk-giving wool-pig” Aspen's STC is very clear on where the standby instruments have to be installed and you will encounter one of the inherit short comings of the "egg-laying and milk-giving wool-pig” it can't be at multiple places at the same time. 

Wollmilchsau.png

ASPEN01.JPG.597bdb4b48b4a9606c802d44d9f8d3ee.JPG

That says I have to have the tapes locked (which they are) I don't see why anyone would not want them on there full time. So then I'm free to have the gauges else where at least.  Really the only "odd ball" is my AL is on the lower row, because the GI275 is in the AL spot.  (ignore the old BK in this pic)836128183_GGpanel.thumb.jpg.13c5f35d2b8532e05439d15de3e3ee2d.jpg

3 hours ago, J0nathan225 said:

So I have a non max Aspen PFD with a GI275.  My question is doI still need another A/S and ALT steam gauge or does the GI275 which displays AS/ALT suffice? 

"

Which backup instruments are required if I install the Evolution system?

The installation of a single 1000 Pro PFD requires a back-up attitude indicator, altimeter, and airspeed indicator in most standard installs"

You can remove those steam gauges and the Aspen while you’re at it by installing a second GI275!

I was under the impression that the Sandia 340 and L3 esi500 are approved to be backups for the aspen panels. @J0nathan225 I would inquire about your ki300, being the same as the Sandia, to be used as the sole backup for AI, ASI, and altimeter. The KI300/Sandia I believe have the ASI and altimeter marked primary in contrast to the G5 that clearly describes them as secondary.

13 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

I was under the impression that the Sandia 340 and L3 esi500 are approved to be backups for the aspen panels. @J0nathan225 I would inquire about your ki300, being the same as the Sandia, to be used as the sole backup for AI, ASI, and altimeter. The KI300/Sandia I believe have the ASI and altimeter marked primary in contrast to the G5 that clearly describes them as secondary.

They are. But there is no single instrument that can be a backup for AI/ASI/Alt at the same time... as I understand.

The exception being a dual Aspen MAX install. Then no backup is needed.

On 8/4/2020 at 9:39 AM, J0nathan225 said:

That says I have to have the tapes locked (which they are) I don't see why anyone would not want them on there full time. So then I'm free to have the gauges else where at least.  Really the only "odd ball" is my AL is on the lower row, because the GI275 is in the AL spot.  (ignore the old BK in this pic)836128183_GGpanel.thumb.jpg.13c5f35d2b8532e05439d15de3e3ee2d.jpg

BTW, your attitude indicator is displaying incorrectly in this pic. 

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2020 at 7:02 AM, LANCECASPER said:

And lose a lot of functionality in the process.

It would be interesting to see an overlay of the 275 on the pro1000. I really like the info/selectable fields in the all the corners and middle of the aspen. I find a single aspen screen small but the 275 looks like it gives up a lot of screen area...at least on my iPhone. 

• 3 weeks later...