Wing rib and bracket corrosion

Good morning everybody,

pretty much about to close a deal on an F model. Completely checked the bird for corrosion. The worst things I found are shown in the fotos: 

1.) Surface corrosion on the triangular bracket at the main center spar.

2.) Corroded rib (wing compartment behind the stall sensor)

It looks all conservable (nicely clean and then prime) to me. Curious to know your opinions.

Thanks in advance and Greets from Germany,

Martin

AC197243-279C-4E11-8444-52E27A0987AE.jpeg

B5A9A4B6-2AD4-4B7F-84A0-60E4BADE4BF4.jpeg

26A05443-3CCE-4C29-A295-0EF2502BAE29.jpeg

986C0E63-90C7-4EDE-8DDB-3853E509E3B8.jpeg

C8EB9D5A-6CE7-4050-97A2-966E159FC6B7.jpeg

Edited by Martin Stolle

Hi Martin. I’d venture to guess 70% of the Vintage GA aircraft have that amount of corrosion. At least from the looks of it, the spar caps look ok. Wish Mooney would have primed the entire airframe. Good time to use corrosion X or acf50. You could clean it up, but the entire airplane probably is like that. 
-Matt

• Like 2

Hey Martin!

One challenge with corrosion that is visible like that...

Does it wrap around the sheet metal to the un-accessible side of the sheet metal... the area only accessible by taking the rivets out...

Often, during the prepurchase inspection... Some repairs become necessary to maintain air worthiness...

Ask your mechanic that is performing the PPI for you... is that an AW issue..?

As part of your purchase agreement with the seller... it would be a good idea to get that cleaned up before it gets any worse...

Sheet Metal corrosion is often a surface area issue... Generally easy to clean, and doesn’t go very deep... Most Mooney sheet metal is probably Alclad... a surface layer on the exterior of the sheet that is corrosion resistant... not perfect, just resistant...  good to clean, and protect, don’t let nature take its course....

The really expensive corrosion is typically spar related... It can be intergranular... and disappear deep into the core of the metal...

Seek extra help if you can’t tell the extent of the corrosion... It is a problem that is better for somebody else to have... :)

Good luck finishing the inspection / conservation...

I am only a private pilot... not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks boys - appreciate, as always. Completely agree - if I buy that bird - first item will be a nice anti corrosion wing treatment. Have been looking at a lot of birds recently. I really can‘t understand how most owners and more importantly a/p mechanics neglect corrosion preventative measures - such a shame.

You can always refurbish an interior or upgrade the panel - but corrosion is nothing to neglect. 

• Like 2