Panel mounted compass

231MJ

My compass is mounted right On top Of the glare shield...

Doesn’t get in the way...

Doesn’t help any...

Its still a magnetic compass... with standard reverse direction display...

The card compass is a slight improvement... the display isn’t reversed...

You may find that with certain digital displays... the mag compass is no longer a requirement...

PP thoughts not an instrumentation expert...

Best regards,

-a-

Art,

It is a better view without the compass in the way, for sure.  From the view I see the hurricane has passed :).  Do you know why the compass was surface mounted rather than flush mounted?  Not enough room in the back?  I like the panel!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

Art/Tom’s compass needs some color added to it...

Everything else is full color screen... but the compass... B&W....

It wants some color.

:)

-a- 

My B&W compass has red light shining on it at night . . . . And there is ZERO room to move it down into the panel!

20131212_123136.thumb.jpg.cb94289b5736dd651e2b274ae8c26b73.jpg

Although I do have a second unit (a slaved compass) where he relocated his whiskey compass.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

When I put in the JPI 900, I pulled the ammeter and replaced it with the compass. The downside is the steel frame is close by, so even with adjusting it there is some variation. I will probably move it to the old EGT gauge position on the right on the next upgrade.

This is an upgrade I've been wanting to do. But the corresponding panel on the right side (the narrow strip) is angled toward the pilot. Would that angle preclude installing a compass there?  I'd love to have a panel mounted compass out of the way in one of those three spots.

IMG_2510.thumb.jpeg.0f78ab86e0a832ea069d324523cbffc6.jpeg

I might suggest a SIRS compass for panel mounting. It has 4 compensation magnets. Easier to swing and much less affected. by steel truss structure. It also has a metal bellows so it does not blow out as much. It is a much better unit.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/sirs_compass.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is an upgrade I've been wanting to do. But the corresponding panel on the right side (the narrow strip) is angled toward the pilot. Would that angle preclude installing a compass there?  I'd love to have a panel mounted compass out of the way in one of those three spots.

Good ?, you would have to compensate for the angle. I like to know the answer to that as well.

7 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I thought the compass had to be in your field of vision, not on the far side of the panel.

28 minutes ago, Hank said:

I thought the compass had to be in your field of vision, not on the far side of the panel.

I just need it to be barely legal. I'd much rather leave the compass in the hangar. But if I'm required to have one mounted... I'd like it as far out of the way as I can get away with. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

If it's a "whiskey" compass I'd hate to have it start leaking kerosene over there next to the circuit breakers.

If it's a "whiskey" compass I'd hate to have it start leaking kerosene over there next to the circuit breakers.

How’s that better than it leaking over the radio stack? Personally I like get rid of the damn thing and just carry a handheld compass in my flight bag, would serve a dual purpose if I should need it in a survival situation.
  • Like 1

How’s that better than it leaking over the radio stack? Personally I like get rid of the damn thing and just carry a handheld compass in my flight bag, would serve a dual purpose if I should need it in a survival situation.

As seen in the picture, if you didn’t notice it dripping on the glareshield first and after months or teears it ate through the glareshield and made it into the radio stack I would say you’re a bit distracted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As seen in the picture, if you didn’t notice it dripping on the glareshield first and after months or teears it ate through the glareshield and made it into the radio stack I would say you’re a bit distracted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately there is a big hole in the glare shield where the steel support goes through, almost directly under the hanging compass, where if on the right side, the circuit breakers are to the left, not directly underneath. Either way, I believe the number of fires caused by leaking compasses is zero, given this is low voltage DC systems.