Retirement / Pilot life in Florida?

MooneyMike

I think there are grass strips, and then there are gravel bars.

‘Now the Maule I would take into a gravel bar, but I’ve yet to see any grass strip that I woudn’t take my Mooney into, with some caveats to that, many are just too soft after a soaking rain, and if it’s bad enough that you need to remove the lower gear doors, go somewhere else.

Ours I guess are well maintained, but both runways have hills on them so that if your not careful your approach angle will pretty much equal the rate the hill is descending so that you’ll land in the middle of the runway, there are also bumps or moguls if you will so yes it’s a little more demanding than 5,000 ft paved. 

I have a shed load of tailwheel time, I believe about 6,000 hours worth and personally prefer grass cause grass and tailwheels go together like pizza and beer, once you get used to grass I believe you’ll find it’s more gentle on the aircraft, tires for example last just about forever and if runway alignment isn’t perfect grass will give a bit as opposed to snatching you straight like pavement will.

‘What I would love is the old Aerodrome, a large circular field where you landed and took off into the wind, no matter the direction, but those of course just don’t exist anymore.

But I believe a Mooney is very much capable of grass and doesn’t need to restrict itself to large paved runways.

A Mooney is more challenging to land on grass which is often short and narrow than say a 182 or a Maule, but I believe that often it’s limits are proficiency based, not aircraft based.

But I just bought mine,  and it’s been over 30 years since I last flew one, so who knows, but I believe I’ll find out the same I did with a C-210, that properly flown it was actually a very good STOL airplane, now my M20J will never be STOL, but I think it will do fine in grass, just have to respect it is all, protect the prop etc.

The thing about living in a aviation community is everybody is a pilot and aircraft owner, plus of course your airplane is literally right beside of the house, just like your car is now, just the garage is bigger, so no more having to drive to the airport to go fly. Need an O-ring or whatever? someone has it, I almost guarantee it.

‘If for example one afternoon you think today would be a great day to go fly, well within 5 minutes your flying, and 5minutes after landing, your grilling hamburgers on the back porch, not having to do that drive to the airport opens up a whole new world.

Plis there is always something going on, Covid has obviously put a dampener on things, but last week we had a balloon Rodeo where balloons were released when you called for it and the object was to bust them.

‘Many if it most people have two airplanes, sometimes more but it’s usually a modern traveling airplane and often something experimental or an antique to just knock about he local area, like a Baby Ace or in my case a 46 C-140.

‘Every Sunday we fly somewhere to eat breakfast, today it was Crystal River, Wednesdays the guys fly out to lunch. we had I believe eight aircraft this morning

7D2C164E-6DDD-40BE-84C9-15F7FE7F6DF0.jpeg

DEEBA2FE-CCED-4C3F-98FA-FAD31F592D07.jpeg

On 9/15/2020 at 8:21 AM, buddy said:

Spruce Creek Fly-In Community 7FL6, been here for 12 yrs. now and enjoying my retirement. The 4000ft recently paved runway has an instrument approach. If you enjoy playing golf and tennis we also have an 18 hole golf course in the community. The Fly-In also has 2 restaurants on the property. Hangars and hangar space are always available for rent.

Looked to move to spruce creek a couple years ago. Still haven’t ruled it out at some point.