Retirement / Pilot life in Florida?

MooneyMike

30 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

Look at the price history...clearly someone is either on drugs or doesn’t really want to sell.

I can't see that from the price history.  Doesn't it seem obvious that the $479M price was a typo that was immediately corrected?

• 3 weeks later...

Spruce Creek Fly-In Community 7FL6, been here for 12 yrs. now and enjoying my retirement. The 4000ft recently paved runway has an instrument approach. If you enjoy playing golf and tennis we also have an 18 hole golf course in the community. The Fly-In also has 2 restaurants on the property. Hangars and hangar space are always available for rent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That’s impressive. Not trying to be lazy, but I don’t see links to hangar and/or property on their site.  

I’m in Venice now, and they’ve got 92 folks on the wait list. Almost seems like an opportunity for revenue growth but no way would I leave my J out on the ramp.

I like the area, but would I need to get a ‘perm’ and trade my F-150 truck for a Lexus?  Just kidding there... but still. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2020 at 6:30 PM, MooneyMike said:

Howdy all.  I'm right on the edge of retirement and am planning on saying 'adios' to California.  Florida is interesting to me for the warm weather and lifestyle.  

I'd considered the panhandle area / Pensacola but the MOA's and restricted areas look like a lot of inconvenience and make it a challenge to fly along the coast line.  Anyone have recommendations?  Ideally not far from the coast as I like diving and live now <3 miles from the beach.  Budget is about $300k I guess, but the one caveat is I want/need a hangar for my J.  

Surfing the web I came across a site for Venice.  OTOH, when talking to my son, he described it as a dump based on the gouge from a fellow aviator.   That might also mean happy hour ended early :)

Anyone? 

I built a house in Venice last year , still live in Indiana most of the time , I love Venice Airport , long wait for hangar though . Venice is really cool def not a dump , not gonna get much for 300 k there though . message me if you want more info, I dive too but it’s sucks all along there , Venice is only a 45 -50 min flight to Key West I hear good diving 

I just checked St. Augustine and Flagler airports, both have 5+ year waiting lists.
I call real estate agent about Spruce Creek. Was told there is no hangars for rent currently available. Also told me you’ll need spend a million for a hangar home, cheaper available but they need work.
Insurance companies just announced that rates for south Florida will be going up 30-40% due to increase risk of tropical storms.

14 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Yah - I know - I was just being funny because from where I sit I live North of the North where the air is clean and the lakes are sparkling, the summers are glorious and the winters are like a classic Bing Crosby movie.  I couldn't imagine moving.  But I am well aware of...

Actually we own a large stock in a real estate development in Florida thanks to a very shrewd grandfather.  Thank goodness someone in my family has more business sense than I do or I would never afford an airplane.  So I am quite pleased that people want to move to Florida.  As for me, when I am in Florida, I am very thankful for Monsier Sadi Carnot and air conditioner technology.

My wife goes to Florida every winter for a week and a half on a trip with her mother, and I go xc skiing locally with my boys.  Quiet simple pleasures for me.  (Well, truth in advertising, I guess a Mooney is complicated noisy pleasure but that last sentence was almost the perfect ending to this thread before I ruined it with this opposite sentence).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

You live an a beautiful area of NY, Erik. I enjoy my visits to Watkins Glen during the 3 months they are thawed out also. Makes for perfect timing to get out of the humid months here.

Tell me when you go to Watkins Glen again - if my schedule allows - I will pop by and say hi!

Watkins Glen is "upstate NY" but literally it is near the southern border of the state.  But it too is beautiful.  Its North Country as they call it up here, and roughly, to my mind, the southern part of the North Country starts just as the northern suburbs of Syracuse give way to forests - the forest seem to change to be a lot more of the species of northern trees.  You can just see the change as you drive along I81.

I heard someone say the Erie Canal should be called the border of the north country (but that is a bit south of what I would call it).  But it does make a nice line - a straight straight line you can see easily when you fly past it from the sky like a dead straight river.

25 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

If it were not for the mandatory 2 week quarantine, I would have been in the lake placid area last month, but Ill ping you before I go again to Ithaca or WG.

Awesome!  I'll look forward to it!

I really haven't gone anywhere since March.  I do fly but just for running the engine and keeping myself the pilot current.  But all flights start and end at the home runway.  Lake Placid is 15 min away so I have flown over it many times in recent months - gone fishing with my son there twice (great fishing right off airport grounds as a river runs past it), etc.  I have been itching to do an avionics upgrade and decided my best options are in PA but I decided last week that I'm waiting until at least March or otherwise I would be doing this asap.

But its a glorious day out there - so life is good.

Here in Spruce Creek,  hangar space for rent is usually only advertised by private owners in an internal video/internet channel or by word of mouth.  If you live here, you can also put a free ad on the channel and ask for hangar space for rent.  It may take some time, but most of the people who are looking for a space also find one after a while.

We have +/- 500 planes at the airfield. Most are in hangars. There are always people selling airplanes, losing medicals or even making room in their hangar ... This makes space available.

Demand for buying hangars is still high. But almost nothing on the market. Hangars which store approx.  2 Mooneys and a small high wing aircraft (size about 50 x 50) have been sold over the last time for approx. 450,000 to 500,000 $.

Hangar homes usually have a smaller hangar. They start at 640,000 $ with 43 x 33 hangar.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry, gang, missed the question about hangers. Shade hangers $60 per month, immediately available. Enclosed hangers $250 and up, decent waiting list. Cheap gas, plus additional discount for tenants.  Friendly field, Close to the gulf, great cost of living.

1J0     www.tricountyairportfl.com

TCAA_2019-07_Aerial_1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ll take the Bluegrass and pass on the sand.  Couple weeks ago I bailed from California and moved to Bardstown, KY.  Nice little town, friendly people.  Samuels Field is building more hangars this year and I’m on the wait list.  For the time being, I’ve got a hangar in Bowling Green.   Once I’ve got all my stuff here I’ll go back and return with my J.  

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

Bowling Green has the world’s coolest non-aviation museum...

:)

-a-

Bowling Green, such memories. I took my wife flying on our third date when I was on an assignment in Nashville, 1988. We flew to Bowling Green for lunch on one of the most hot and miserable days of the summer in a rented Warrior. All I remember from that day was seeing the Corvette test track attached to the factory. And sweating.

Sadly, the restaurant where we met for our very first date was directly in front of the RV that exploded in downtown Nashville back in December.