Retirement / Pilot life in Florida?

MooneyMike

Check out 15FL Cannon Creek in Lake City. Paved & lit rwy 18/36, smooth grass 09/27. Very active EAA chapter. 100LL fuel on field for members of the "HOA" which is ~$700/yr for runway fees. There are empty lots available and several sprouting new houses for sale as well as older ones. My GF and I have looked at some lots and they are about your price range. I learned to fly here and there are several Mooneys based here. Smack dab in the middle of the "big bend" area, and minutes from downtown Lake City with a population of ~12,000. Its not a small town and its not a big city but it has a mall, plenty of food, and local hide-a-ways. Also plenty of grass strips and other small county airports within 100 miles with other active EAA chapters, its a round-robin of saturday morning breakfasts and sunday luncheons around the state. We're away from large ATC corridors like Jacksonville or Pensacola or Tampa. Perfect blend of quiet and active, if I may say so myself

Aerial-Cannon-Creek-Airpark-April-2015.thumb.jpg.3806ec0692d357222b4155a2eac57277.jpg

The downside of this and other rural airports is access to good healthcare/hospital. retirees tend to need more healthcare as we get older and traveling 50 miles to a hospital can be problematic.

In above case it looks to be a happy medium, I will add it to places I need to look at, thanks.

Thank you everyone for all the great comments and feedback.  These comments have opened my eyes to the diversity in Florida; it’s not just Disney World, orange groves and spring training. 

Today’s high was maybe 72, with a low of 54 or so here on the Central Coast so the heat and humidity would no doubt be a big adjustment.  The area is beautiful, people friendly and affordable housing starts a bit under a half mil.

But with that paradise comes a political system rigged to allow only one voice.  

So thanks again, the search will be interesting no doubt  

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, MooneyMike said:

Spruce Creek airport 7FL6  just south of Daytona...Heaven on Earth !!!

44000 takeoff and landings a year....12 min to a beach you can actually swim in.....just a short Mooney ride away from the Keys and all of the city life of south Florida....

about 1500 homes on the airport, about half have hangars.....

Port Orange one of the safest cities in Florida

I moved here from CA/AK....

• Like 3

Pal of mine was at Spruce Creek for years, retired to Colorado.  Claimed it was more business friendly.  CFI claimed the same for Georgia, and said they had more VFR days than anyone except perhaps Arizona.  There were so many private fields there I'd though my GPS had a nervous breakdown.

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

Yea, but none of those hangar homes are near his price range. The golf course homes, especially the townhouses are, but then no hangar. How tough is it to rent a hangar?

I found a hangar to rent from day one and there are hangars on our in-house classified web page that come up all the time....

I may have missed what he said his price range is.....what is it?

12 hours ago, MooneyMike said:

Thank you everyone for all the great comments and feedback.  These comments have opened my eyes to the diversity in Florida; it’s not just Disney World, orange groves and spring training. 

Today’s high was maybe 72, with a low of 54 or so here on the Central Coast so the heat and humidity would no doubt be a big adjustment.  The area is beautiful, people friendly and affordable housing starts a bit under a half mil.

But with that paradise comes a political system rigged to allow only one voice.  

California  coast is about as good as it gets. Political systems are pretty shitty no matter where you live. Now looking for better tax rates does make sense don't know what property taxes are in Florida  but for us it's hard to improve the bottom line since we were able to buy at such a low cost. Any move would at least triple the value and subsequent taxes for an equivalent of what our house is worth now. Lake County has so much VFR it's not funny if it weren't for the wild fires I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Lots of nice homes for 300 AMU's.  Good luck with your retirement. It's been two years now and still getting used to having every day belong to me and my wife and no one else.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bonal said:

California  coast is about as good as it gets. Political systems are pretty shitty no matter where you live. Now looking for better tax rates does make sense don't know what property taxes are in Florida  but for us it's hard to improve the bottom line since we were able to buy at such a low cost. Any move would at least triple the value and subsequent taxes for an equivalent of what our house is worth now. Lake County has so much VFR it's not funny if it weren't for the wild fires I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Lots of nice homes for 300 AMU's.  Good luck with your retirement. It's been two years now and still getting used to having every day belong to me and my wife and no one else.  

Here is what I have to put up with most every evening.

chasing the sun.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, neilpilot said:

This is the tropics, and yes, during the rainy season, it will rain in the afternoon almost daily, mostly inland where the clouds will form. Ill just have to suffer, knowing there isnt a snow shovel for sale for at least 500 miles.

• Like 2

Since you mentioned the Panhandle and restricted airspace, that’s an area I know well, just having moved here two years ago from Brooksville, Florida, and before that, 28 years in metro Atlanta.  We love it here. We spent three years just north of Tampa in Brooksville (KBKV) and really liked it there as well.  Can’t go wrong there either!  Here we have 3.5 seasons. No snow, of course.  It’s my favorite part of Florida.  Central time.

Easy flying along the beach using the VFR corridor, and easy leaving here VFR or IFR for travel destinations.  Tyndall Approach and Panama City are great to work with, as is Jaxsonville Center.  Or fly VFR.

We’re based at 1J0, an hour north of Panama City.   Small, friendly pilot community with an active EAA chapter, 5400 foot runway and just north of the MOAs.   I’m on the airport board, and we have pilots here who have moved here from all over the world.  Cost of living is attractive, so you can buy a lot of house.   We live in a small town called Chipley, and recommend it.  (Provided you like small towns.)  The airport website is www.tricountyairportfl.com.

Other airports to consider close by are Marianna and Defuniak Springs.  Also nice airports and communities.  Friendly people, low crime rate, good cost of living in this area.  Some people buy homes north of or in Panama City and base their plane here.

We bought a big house with a pool on an acre in your price range, and we are close to I-10 and the beaches.   Call me at 770-329-5400 if I can help with discussions about airspace or the area. 

Oh, we have a 1978 Mooney 201 named “Jane”.  N6201Y.

Edited by Ross Statham
Typo
  • Like 3

We’re based at 1J0, an hour north of Panama City.   Small, friendly pilot community with an active EAA chapter, 5400 foot runway and just north of the MOAs.   I’m on the airport board, and we have pilots here who have moved here from all over the world.  Cost of living is attractive, so you can buy a lot of house.   We live in a small town called Chipley, and recommend it.  (Provided you like small towns.)  The airport website is www.tricountyairportfl.com.
Other airports to consider close by are Marianna and Defuniak Springs.

And the $64,000 question...do they have hangars available and how much?

6 hours ago, Ross Statham said:

Since you mentioned the Panhandle and restricted airspace, that’s an area I know well, just having moved here two years ago from Brooksville, Florida, and before that, 28 years in metro Atlanta.  We love it here. We spent three years just north of Tampa in Brooksville (KBKV) and really liked it there as well.  Can’t go wrong there either!  Here we have 3.5 seasons. No snow, of course.  It’s my favorite part of Florida.  Central time.

Easy flying along the beach using the VFR corridor, and easy leaving here VFR or IFR for travel destinations.  Tyndall Approach and Panama City are great to work with, as is Jaxsonville Center.  Or fly VFR.

Other airports to consider close by are Marianna and Defuniak Springs.  Also nice airports and communities.  Friendly people, low crime rate, good cost of living in this area.  Some people buy homes north of or in Panama City and base their plane here.

We bought a big house with a pool on an acre in your price range, and we are close to I-10 and the beaches.   Call me at 770-329-5400 if I can help with discussions about airspace or the area. 

Lot of great info there, and thank you. I was really not wanting to get restricted in flying along the beach, transiting to other areas, etc.  

And the million dollar question is “are hangars available?”

”Stella” is what I’ve named my ‘78 J.

Lot of great info there, and thank you. I was really not wanting to get restricted in flying along the beach, transiting to other areas, etc.  
And the million dollar question is “are hangars available?”
”Stella” is what I’ve named my ‘78 J.

78 was a very good year...I never named mine, but seems a name that starts with letter J would be appropriate.

On 8/15/2020 at 6:52 PM, Ross Statham said:

Ross Statham, Is it alright if I call you or IM you. My wife and I are both from Bonifay (HS classes of 76 and 77) and looking to retire in just under two years. We were thinking North Carolina mountains but the wife is now wanting to be close to her Mom in the future. I checked on the minutes from this months meeting and it appears there are now 4 on the waiting list for hangars. We’ve got an 85 J we’re bringing with us. I would like to find out what the airport is really like. We fly in there quite a lot on the weekends now. 

Edited by WaynePierce
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 5:49 PM, mike_elliott said:

This is the tropics, and yes, during the rainy season, it will rain in the afternoon almost daily, mostly inland where the clouds will form. Ill just have to suffer, knowing there isnt a snow shovel for sale for at least 500 miles.

Good comeback.