Landing a Mooney Ovation

Fly_M20R

On 8/3/2020 at 9:05 AM, Fly_M20R said:

I have owned several Mooneys, starting with a 1984 201, followed by two 252's, two "M" Models and finally my current Ovation and have logged close around 2.300 hours in all of them and flown them everywhere in the U.S and also to see Angel Falls in Venezuela. I found that I could "roll on" practically all my landings in every Mooney except for my current Ovation. I would throttle back approaching or crossing the threshold and then just run the trim in ground effect and they would roll on all the time.

It would be great to be able to do that in my 252. Unless I'm flying with passengers in the back seats, I need full trim up once full flaps are set. Might be time to loose some weight on the nose.

• Haha 1

Just now, xavierde said:

It would be great to be able to do that in my 252. Unless I'm flying with passengers in the back seats, I need full trim up once full flaps are set. Might be time to loose some weight on the nose.

Hahahaha!!! 

One always finds incentives for all sorts of resolutions. ;):)

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

That’s a lot of hours in Mooneys you got there Fly_M...

Is that work related traveling?
Or are your kids on a travel softball team? :)

Just wondering...

Best regards,

-a-

Hi Carusoam,

I would say that early on a number of hrs were to take my two kids when young to Taekwondo tournaments in FL, Southeast and a few out West. Then several more to go places w family. A few for conferences related to work, the farther away the better!! A good number to go up and just FLY!! :) Currently some for work.

I make up "missions" to just go fly! Most recently went to Mt Rushmore from FL. At least once or more a year I'll find some long trip to make. 

I just really enjoy flying!! Wanted to do so since I remember. 

Regards!!

Edited by Fly_M20R
clean up
  • Like 2

Nice landing angel! What year is your Ovation?  I see a lower glare shield than mine.

Have you been to Angel Falls? I have a strong feeling you've been there. Lol! 

The collage shows two pictures,  one above and one below, Angel Falls taken from a 201 I owned. Landed in Uruyen shortly thereafter. 

Angel Falls 001.jpg

Edited by Fly_M20R

33 minutes ago, Fly_M20R said:

Nice landing angel! What year is your Ovation?  I see a lower glare shield than mine.

Have you been to Angel Falls? I have a strong feeling you've been there. Lol! 

The collage shows two pictures,  one above and one below, Angel Falls taken from a 201 I owned. Landed in Uruyen shortly thereafter. 

Angel Falls 001.jpg

Oh yes. I have flown around Angel Fall many times   I am from Venezuela.  Uruyen and Kavak are  incredible places to visit when the Communism fall.  I Fly a 2004 M20 R Ovation DX

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Angelfall said:

Oh yes. I have flown around Angel Fall many times   I am from Venezuela.  Uruyen and Kavak are  incredible places to visit when the Communism fall.  I Fly a 2004 M20 R Ovation DX

Well hello amigo! I am also from Venezuela. Been in the US quite a while. It is an incredible place to visit after comunism falls!!!  

My M20R is a 1995 and has a higher glare shield that limits the view quite a bit and everybody complained about it. I am not sure which year the glare shield was dropped a couple of inches to make it similar to all the other models but it makes quite a difference.

Your landing was perfect and that is how I landed all my other Mooneys including M20M's. This one is just a bit of a pain. It can be done though.... ;)  Here is a landing with my M20R on a runway that is not the same as the one on Cozumel paradise:

• Like 2

Out with communism... in with capitalism, and Mooneys!  :)

Thanks gents for sharing your worldly experience... wow!

I was really looking forward to seeing the stall horn sensor vane move... very interesting perspective from right behind it...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Out with communism... in with capitalism, and Mooneys!  :)

Thanks gents for sharing your worldly experience... wow!

I was really looking forward to seeing the stall horn sensor vane move... very interesting perspective from right behind it...

Best regards,

-a-

Out with communism and in with capitalism... AND Mooneys!!!

I cannot tell if the tab moves or not and I honestly do not recall if that was a landing with horn going off or not. I would be lying if I said "of course it did" Hahaha!!

BTW, landing at night on that runway gets "interesting"... It has lights but somewhat dim easily lost in the background with other street lights and also hidden by the adjacent trees on crosswind and downwind legs. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fly_M20R said:

My M20R is a 1995 and has a higher glare shield that limits the view quite a bit and everybody complained about it. I am not sure which year the glare shield was dropped a couple of inches to make it similar to all the other models but it makes quite a difference.

yes I don't like it either. I think it was in 2003 when mooney decided to lower the glare shield. You are right too many pilot complain about the limitation of wiew 

Just now, Angelfall said:

yes I don't like it either. I think it was in 2003 when mooney decided to lower the glare shield. You are right too many pilot complain about the limitation of wiew 

I would have preferred a model with lower glare shield. However this one fell into my lap with a good panel and a 360 hr factory remanufactured engine at a superb price. It was a "B.B.&B."  ;)

Questions on yours when you land: do you land with or without speed brakes? I suspect you don't.  Do you run the trim up on landing and if so do you run out of trim before you land requiring you to pull a tad on the yoke?

Although I've had my pitch trim checked for correct setup at a Mooney service center I have a feeling that I should have a bit more trim up available for landing since I run out of trim before I land. I did not run out of trim up on the two M20M's I owned (also long bodies). 

17 minutes ago, Fly_M20R said:

I would have preferred a model with lower glare shield. However this one fell into my lap with a good panel and a 360 hr factory remanufactured engine at a superb price. It was a "B.B.&B."  ;)

Questions on yours when you land: do you land with or without speed brakes? I suspect you don't.  Do you run the trim up on landing and if so do you run out of trim before you land requiring you to pull a tad on the yoke?

Although I've had my pitch trim checked for correct setup at a Mooney service center I have a feeling that I should have a bit more trim up available for landing since I run out of trim before I land. I did not run out of trim up on the two M20M's I owned (also long bodies). 

No I have never run out of trim when landing. Have you checked your W&B? Most of us come from short bodies mooney  M20 C or E they are easier to land. It took me some hours to get used to it.

11 minutes ago, Angelfall said:

No I have never run out of trim when landing. Have you checked your W&B? Most of us come from short bodies mooney  M20 C or E they are easier to land. It took me some hours to get used to it.

W&B seems OK. It does "feel" a bit nose heavy. It's possible that Mooney changed some things around when they lowered the glare shield and the CG may have moved aft a bit with newer models. Also, aircraft without vacuum pumps and with G1000's have likely more aft CG's.

I wonder if other early year Ovation owners also have the issue of running out of trim or if this is unique to my plane.

It also took me a few hrs to get used to having to pull a tad on the yoke for the final 6 inches of the landing. 

[This may end up being a duplicate reply since the first one does not show up in the thread]

O1s got the tall instrument panel....

If you are a short person, in sitting height, this may be a bit of an issue....

The O1’s also have a really nice adjustable seat height to go with that....

Tall sitting height, your eyeballs are near the top of the windscreen with the chair on the floor.... you may even need to tilt the seat back...

The instrument panel height isn’t much of the problem... the long cowl is just on the other side of it...

Somebody once said... you can’t get enough up trim when landing a Mooney....

I bought the cheapest transition training available, to go with my not so expensive M20C....  so... I always set the trim all the way up for landing.... :wacko:

Some Long Bodies have had some changes to them... The TopProp is a bit heavier than the stock Mac.... so... you may be close to running out of trim...

Depending on how much is riding along in the front seats....

Use caution using powered trim, and running out of range.... that can be a set up for a trim system jam... a full powered go around with full up trim should be figured out before hand...  The results can be surprising...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angelfall said:

This was today's flight . Trim when I landed  IMG_0329.thumb.jpeg.78f7011bf137026d47ad874f67302170.jpeg

That is very interesting Angel. Prior to getting the Ovation 3 years ago I had a 2005 Bravo GX also with AC and O2 and after landing the trim was quite higher although not at limit. My Ovation also has O2 although no AC. Prior to the Bravo GX I had a 1991 TLS (same as Bravo) with O2 and no AC and also landed without running the trim to limit. The AC most likely moves the CG aft sufficiently so that one does not run out of trim in the Ovation. 

Do you land with full flaps or only approach (T/O) flaps? If you land with approach flaps then you may not have to run the trim as much since you are already in a nose up attitude. 

Definitely like the panel and glare shield height in the O2!

Thanks for sharing the picture.

• Like 1