Smoke Released - Possible Upgrade

You got me there. The guy I was instructing didnt have thr keyboard with him so I didnt use it. Though i have seen it used before. 

I was simply comparing unit to unit. That being said, if you are hand flying, it's tough to use the keyboard and keep your eye on things. 

14 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Living here in Denver where it's a washing machine every afternoon, I've got a whole new respect for turbulence. The Avidyne keyboard is a game changer in turbulence. It's easy to hold in your hands and type with your thumbs. You can control all features of the IFD's using the bluetooth keyboard. Strap the seatbelt tight and let the airplane bounce, swing, and roll around you. Meanwhile you're running coms, nav, flight plans, amending routes, checking weather, METARS, even changing the SiriusXM music channel... all with the keyboard in the palm of your hand. There's no need to "hold onto the ledge" around the GPS to try and steady your hand while repeatedly touching the wrong thing on the screen. 

Paul, I'd never be able to convince you differently, but your flying life would be so much easier (and although you don't thing so now, more enjoyable) and everything would interface if:

1. You sold both Aspens, the IFD, all your round gauges, the preselect, all autopilot servos and the KC 192 autopilot computer, (you'd get good money for all that stuff) and;

2. Bought another G5, installed the 4 servo GFC 500, bought a GTN 750Xi (or a used GTN 750 for less money), GNC 255 (your KX 155 needs new displays that, if you could get them, would cost around $600), and had a new panel fabricated.

In turbulence the knob on the 750 will do everything including swapping frequencies, and Telligence will change pages.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The second MAX is still sitting on the shelf in the box. I have it, but haven't installed it yet. Installing it will take a new panel... if cutting a new panel I want to remove the ASI and ALT... but I need the ALT for my altitude pre-select... if I put a new autopilot in, then I might not need the separate pre-select with the altimeter... So I need an autopilot solution before starting the process. If I don't have a solution by fall, I might just move forward with the second MAX and keep the altimeter.

You don’t need the altimeter in the panel if it’s just providing altitude to the AP. You can just secure the altimeter behind the panel, removing ASI and giving you what you want.

Basically you would be turning you altimeter into a blind encoder. But I’m surprised that isn’t an option provided by the Aspens if not directly by an additional box.

5 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

You don’t need the altimeter in the panel if it’s just providing altitude to the AP. You can just secure the altimeter behind the panel, removing ASI and giving you what you want.

Basically you would be turning you altimeter into a blind encoder. But I’m surprised that isn’t an option provided by the Aspens if not directly by an additional box.

The 130 altimeter needs to be adjusted to the current barometric setting for the preselect to work properly. 

15 hours ago, donkaye said:

Paul, I'd never be able to convince you differently, but your flying life would be so much easier (and although you don't thing so now, more enjoyable) and everything would interface if:

1. You sold both Aspens, the IFD, all your round gauges, the preselect, all autopilot servos and the KC 192 autopilot computer, (you'd get good money for all that stuff) and;

2. Bought another G5, installed the 4 servo GFC 500, bought a GTN 750Xi (or a used GTN 750 for less money), GNC 255 (your KX 155 needs new displays that, if you could get them, would cost around $600), and had a new panel fabricated.

In turbulence the knob on the 750 will do everything including swapping frequencies, and Telligence will change pages.

Don, I might disagree with you, but could never argue with you. :)

At the moment my KFC150 works beautifully and so I'm not in a hurry to solve a problem I don't have. 

1. A move from the Aspen to G5's would be a step backward that I wouldn't want to take. I'd go from the Aspen to a G3X or G500TXi but not to G5's. 
2. I've thought a few times of installing a GNC 255, but would rather add a second small screen navigator, so I keep holding off on replacing the KX165.
3. I've used the GTN 750 and 650 and just really don't like them compared to the IFD's. I installed the IFD because there was $0 installation cost. But since I've had chance to use it for some time now, and have flown several other Mooneys with the GTN's... there is no question. I'd hate to give up my IFD to go with the GTN 750Xi. 

There's no question the GFC500 is the best autopilot on the market today, and I'd love to have one. But at the moment, the current panel works great. So I'll hold fire, and wait and see a little longer.

On 8/4/2020 at 8:00 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Well I don't have the C any longer, but have done quite a bit of work on the panel of the K I fly now.

Here's what it looks like.

IMG_2510.thumb.jpeg.e51a2c12c0ce19c1ff0ab08db34aad48.jpeg

As much as I like Aspen and Avidyne... I probably wouldn't go that direction until the autopilot situation is sorted out.

I like the GI275's or the G5's. But if it were mine, I'd probably go Dynon and Avidyne. Of course the Dynon autopilot isn't ready yet and who knows when it will be.

Thanks, Paul. I always appreciate your input. Your setup is very nice and I'm glad your'e enjoying it!

22 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

3. I've used the GTN 750 and 650 and just really don't like them compared to the IFD's. I installed the IFD because there was $0 installation cost. But since I've had chance to use it for some time now, and have flown several other Mooneys with the GTN's... there is no question. I'd hate to give up my IFD to go with the GTN 750Xi. 

Can you expand a little on this? Specifically, what do you like about the IFD's over the Garmin series of GPS, aside from the installation costs?

I'd suggest you go try them both out and judge for yourself. I honestly cant see what is appealing on the IFD but clearly some people like them. The keyboard is the only thing that I can possibly see. To me... the rest doesnt even compare. I dont even have the new Xi versions....

I'd suggest you go try them both out and judge for yourself. I honestly cant see what is appealing on the IFD but clearly some people like them. The keyboard is the only thing that I can possibly see. To me... the rest doesnt even compare. I dont even have the new Xi versions....

Some don’t like Garmin, just like some don’t like Apple.

Garmin open the door by not making a plug-in replacement to the GNS series. The executive responsible for that decision should be working at McDonalds.

7 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Some don’t like Garmin, just like some don’t like Apple.

Garmin open the door by not making a plug-in replacement to the GNS series. The executive responsible for that decision should be working at McDonalds.

One of the things about the GTNs that I like the best, probably use the most, and is not available at this time on the IFDs, are the VFR approaches (even AP coupled) to nearly all airports and runways in the US.  Prior to the VFR Approach software update I used to have to switch to OBS mode and set the course selector to the runway heading for situational awareness or set up an instrument approach procedure (there wasn't always one for the preferred runway).  This took time.  That's not needed anymore.

• Like 1

One of the things about the GTNs that I like the best, probably use the most, and is not available at this time on the IFDs, are the VFR approaches (even AP coupled) to nearly all airports and runways in the US.  Prior to the VFR Approach software update I used to have to switch to OBS mode and set the course selector to the runway heading for situational awareness or set up an instrument approach procedure (there wasn't always one for the preferred runway).  This took time.  That's not needed anymore.

Yeah I use that too. The holds are now breeze too, not that I’ve ever needed to do one for real.