New AD to make Aspens VFR only?

Mike A

The way I read it, all Aspen units without backup instruments are subject to this Emergency AD due to intermittent resets. The correction is to comply with Aspen Service Bulletin Number: SB2020-01, dated April 1, 2020. Thise that have already complied are nit subject to the Day-VFR-Only limitation.

Reading further it appears that it will only apply if independent backup instruments are not available, but being able to upgrade and eliminate them is a selling point of Aspen. Is this the end for them?  If I was doing it all over again I wouldn’t put one in knowing this. 

Just now, Mike A said:

Reading further it appears that it will only apply if independent backup instruments are not available, but being able to upgrade and eliminate them is a selling point of Aspen. Is this the end for them?  If I was doing it all over again I wouldn’t put one in knowing this. 

There's a software update to correct it. FAA estimates only 900 planes are affected.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike A said:

Is this the end for them?  If I was doing it all over again I wouldn’t put one in knowing this. 

Unlike Garmin, at least the entire company doesn't get taken down by a ransomware attack...... including Garmin Pilot btw.   I know which one I trust better...

Edited by pwnel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, CAV Ice said:

Yes, it appears this AD would make the affected Aspen units restricted to day VFR use only.  I'm sure Aspen is on top of this to come up with a solution though otherwise they are going to loose a lot of business $$$$. 

You just have to read the freaking AD. Looks like Aspen found a solution in April . . . . I found it quite easily, and my panel is still steam . . . .

2105878431_Screenshot_20200731-122254_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.0252516bb28c72bbf525423237b823dd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I remember correctly, this reads like the issue that Alex @alextstone reported here multiple times some time ago before there was a fix.

But it looks like this AD now amounts to only telling new Aspen owners that they need to install Aspen SB2020-01 that came out April 1 and then your installation is back to restriction free. This appears to be the 3rd SB to address the issue though. But I expect @Cruiser can tell us if the fix is complete making the AD a non issue with compliance. 

I am with Jerry though above, it was the original Aspens that taught me to never put much faith in backups based on the duplicate HW/SW and I never understood how the FAA allowed that when losing air data red-X the entire old Aspen displays. Glad the new Aspens fixed that one.

• Like 3

I just spoke to my avionics shop and got the correct scoop. This AD IS new and is specific for aircraft that have an Aspen 2000 or Aspen 2500 Max setup. Single Max units or non-Max units are not called out in the instructions from Aspen. If you have an Aspen 2000 or 2500 Max set up and have an independent unit(s) to provide AI, airspeed and altitude you do not need to comply with the AD by the compliance date. The service bulletin mentioned is for issues in non-Max units with integrated ADSB In.

The units impacted will have 2.10 or 2.10.1 installed. New firmware is 2.10.2 and is available to install now. Less than 30 minutes to install. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by Marauder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2020 at 12:17 PM, Mike A said:

Is this the end for them?  If I was doing it all over again I wouldn’t put one in knowing this. 

I hope this is not the end for them because they have followers. Albeit with misplaced or excessive admiration for Aspen but nevertheless followers! 
For any serious flying I wouldn’t depend on Aspen either. The irony is that one of GA’s deadliest killers is spatial disorientation and we teach instruments students to “trust” their instruments! We’ve all been taught this and we continue to teach it. Personally, I cringe when people's lives depend on these boxes in IMC. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I doubt if the Aspen software update will fix this fine swiss watch  KI256 however, Peter. Thankfully, I had an Aspen to keep the shiny side up in IMC that day.   Are you still flying and trusting your life to the technology of the '30's, with your KI256/Ki258 or did you finally get that KI300 you swore by 4 years ago installed? 

20170217_131038.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1. ONLY applies to MAX units

2. ONLY applies if software is 2.10 or 2.10.1

3 The fix is a software upgrade, free from your Aspen dealer.

4. Takes about 12 minutes to upgrade the software.

5. If you already have software version 2.10.2 this AD does not apply 

6. Check your software version by pushing the menu button and turning the lower right knob to the last page. 

• Like 7

1. ONLY applies to MAX units
2. ONLY applies if software is 2.10 or 2.10.1
3 The fix is a software upgrade, free from your Aspen dealer.
4. Takes about 12 minutes to upgrade the software.
5. If you already have software version 2.10.2 this AD does not apply 
6. Check your software version by pushing the menu button and turning the lower right knob to the last page. 

1. ONLY applies to MAX units that are 2000 or 2500 systems. 1000s (standalone PFDs) are excluded.
7. If you have a standby AI, ASI & altimeter (either as individual instruments or a secondary independent electronic ex. G5 or ESI-500), you don’t need to comply by the compliance date - but should have it done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I doubt if the Aspen software update will fix this fine swiss watch  KI256 however, Peter. Thankfully, I had an Aspen to keep the shiny side up in IMC that day.   Are you still flying and trusting your life to the technology of the '30's, with your KI256/Ki258 or did you finally get that KI300 you swore by 4 years ago installed? 

20170217_131038.thumb.jpg.cdfecbee5dd43bb160c60f5cd9bf892d.jpg

Let’s see my track record... First 7 years of ownership, 1 AI failure, 2 vacuum pump failures and 2 DG failures. 7 years with the Aspens - 0 failures. Hmmm...

Mike - you need to stop posting these photoshopped pictures! Fake news!

Good luck with the 275s Peter Garmin. Still trying to figure out how a guy who said the Aspens were too small to read, will end up with 275s...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 6

I for one won’t be getting rid of my Aspen, I love it.  Mine is backed up with good old fashioned mechanical ASI, Altimeter, VSI, S-Tec turn coordinator, a new Sigma-Tek AI and vacuum pump.

This is a minor software issue.

Clarence

7 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

WhAt am I missing, the AD only references the 1000, no mention of the 2000/max/ etc...

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/07/31/2020-16592/airworthiness-directives-aspen-avionics-inc

They’re essentially the same thing.  Multiple “1000”-badged units make up the “1500” and “2500” products.  The hardware platform is essentially the same.

They’re essentially the same thing.  Multiple “1000”-badged units make up the “1500” and “2500” products.  The hardware platform is essentially the same.

So do I get to tell the FAA my 1000 is ‘essentially the same thing’ and therefore doesn’t need the update?

Per the summary language, it would seem to depend on what role your 1000 plays...

“SUMMARY: The FAA is adopting a new airworthiness directive (AD) for certain Aspen Avionics, Inc., Evolution Flight Display (EFD) EFD1000 Emergency Backup Display, EFD1000 Multi- Function Display, and EFD1000 Primary Flight Display systems installed on various airplanes.“

• Like 1

WhAt am I missing, the AD only references the 1000, no mention of the 2000/max/ etc...

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/07/31/2020-16592/airworthiness-directives-aspen-avionics-inc

The letter that Aspen sent owners spells out that the AD pertains to 2000 and 2500 systems only. If you own a single PFD also known as a EFD 1000, it is not subject to the AD.

What my avionics shop told me is the reset issue occurs only when two EFD 1000s are together. Either in a 2000 system or a 2500 system. 1000 or 1500 systems don’t have the issue. I suspect it has something to do with two AHRSs being in the system at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here's the letter from Aspen:

Aspen Pro MAX Evolution 2000 and Evolution 2500 Systems

Dear Valued Aspen Customers:

Today, the FAA issued Airworthiness Directive (AD) 2020-16-08 effective August 17, 2020, regarding a potential reset event of Aspen Avionics' MAX  series displays. 

Be advised, the FAA approved software v2.10.2 in March 2020 addressing the infrequent but potential reset issue of Evolution MAX series displays and we have successfully implemented this software change for affected customers.  These design changes are defined in the 900-00003-001, Revision CC, EFD1000, and EFD500 Software Version 2.X installation manual, dated March 2020. Aspen Service Bulletin 2020-01 describes the v2.10.2 software update procedures.

This AD only applies to Evolution 2000 MAX and Evolution 2500 MAX systems with software v2.10 or v2.10.1 AND if any of the required backup instruments (ASI, ATT, ALT) have been removed.  This AD is not applicable to MAX displays that have been updated to software v2.10.2 or any legacy Aspen Avionics displays.

Please contact your Aspen Authorized Dealer if you have not yet updated your MAX displays to software v2.10.2. 

What I find interesting is that the E5s have been documented to fail the same way in flight and this letter says nothing towards those units. I'd like to know how those escaped the AD.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJMac said:

What I find interesting is that the E5s have been documented to fail the same way in flight and this letter says nothing towards those units. I'd like to know how those escaped the AD.

I’d find it hard to believe the software update wouldn’t work with the E5.  Maybe there is a difference due to STC vs TSO ?