Aspen AD

FAA  is adopting a new AD for Aspen systems running software version 2.10 and 2.10.1 without independent backup instruments for attitude, airspeed and altitude. https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/07/31/2020-16592/airworthiness-directives-aspen-avionics-inc

I’m glad I got the GI275 as a backup...everyone affected should get the software update before August 17, 2020.

I just spoke to my avionics shop and got the correct scoop. This AD IS new and is specific for aircraft that have an Aspen 2000 or Aspen 2500 Max setup. Single Max units or non-Max units are not called out in the instructions from Aspen. If you have an Aspen 2000 or 2500 Max set up and have an independent unit(s) to provide AI, airspeed and altitude you do not need to comply with the AD by the compliance date. The service bulletin mentioned to the ADSB In issues pertains to non-Max units.

The units impacted will have 2.10 or 2.10.1 installed. New firmware is 2.10.2 and is available to install now. Less than 30 minutes to install. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All,

Below is the customer MEMO that you all should have received. We solved this problem months ago with the 2.10.2 software. We did issue a "mandatory" SW bulletin at that time, but as some of you know... "mandatory" is relative to SW on Part 91 aircraft. This AD will require you to so now.

We woke up to this AD the same as you all did. Please excuse the delay on getting any data up on our website.

"Today, the FAA issued Airworthiness Directive (AD) 2020-16-08 effective August 17, 2020, regarding a potential reset event of Aspen Avionics' MAX series displays."

"Be advised, the FAA approved software v2.10.2 in March 2020 addressing the infrequent but potential reset issue of Evolution MAX series displays and we have successfully implemented this software change for affected customers. These design changes are defined in the 900-00003-001, Revision CC, EFD1000, and EFD500 Software Version 2.X installation manual, dated March 2020. Aspen Service Bulletin 2020-01 describes the v2.10.2 software update procedures."

"This AD only applies to Evolution 2000 MAX and Evolution 2500 MAX systems with software v2.10 or v2.10.1 AND if any of the required backup instruments (ASI, ATT, ALT) have been removed. This AD is not applicable to MAX displays that have been updated to software v2.10.2 or any legacy Aspen Avionics displays."

Any other questions, please contact your dealer or email me directly at andy.smith@aspenavionics.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

Thanks for stopping in Andy!  @Andy Smith

I see there is another thread discussing this as well...

Have a look over there... see attached shortcut below...

Best regards,

-a-

He's been pretty proactive about it on POA and the beechtalk site. It's a minor fix that sounded scary with the AD. 

• Like 1