Increased insurance limits

11 minutes ago, PMcClure said:

Is it possible to get increased limits on aviation - say 2-10 million? And is there any secondary/umbrella policy available for aviation? Shopping around it seems impossible to increase over $1mm smooth. 

It's not only possible but doable.  My agent gave me quotes over my 1M smooth...I just had to ask.  You may not like the answer tho.

Flying an Ovation, just curious why you'd be looking for anything over, say, 2M...?

@Parker_Woodruff would have more insight and context.

Just now, StevenL757 said:

It's not only possible but doable.  My agent gave me quotes over my 1M smooth...I just had to ask.  You may not like the answer tho.

Flying an Ovation, just curious why you'd be looking for anything over, say, 2M...?

@Parker_Woodruff would have more insight and context.

Thanks -the reason is liability. I am finding it terribly difficult to increase limits. 

37 minutes ago, Parker_Woodruff said:

With strong pilot credentials we can get up to $2MM on a primary policy and then we would look for an excess policy on top of that.  Getting an excess policy of $1--4MM on a piston is possible, depending on the pilot credentials.

Most personal umbrella policies exclude aviation.

PM Sent. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am an old guy, 71. I carry 2M and had no difficulty renewing this year, although the premium was up about 15% like everyone’s. My ins. is not high, at least I don’t consider it to be, so the increase I did not like, but it was not impossible either.  What I do that I am told helps, is two things.  One, I fly, so my hours will be in the 100-150 range this year and same aircraft, and two, I train like the dickens.  Last year (this past January, before this year’s renewal) I took an intense upset recovery course, got a graduation certificate, submitted that.  Knock on wood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jlunseth said:

I am an old guy, 71. I carry 2M and had no difficulty renewing this year, although the premium was up about 15% like everyone’s. My ins. is not high, at least I don’t consider it to be, so the increase I did not like, but it was not impossible either.  What I do that I am told helps, is two things.  One, I fly, so my hours will be in the 100-150 range this year and same aircraft, and two, I train like the dickens.  Last year (this past January, before this year’s renewal) I took an intense upset recovery course, got a graduation certificate, submitted that.  Knock on wood.

Just got our renewal: 17% over last year. Not bad considering I've read stories of over 25%.