SCEET/SCAT for a modern Mooney

Hey guys, all the intake air ducting on my M20R is looking very ratty and needs to be reaplaced. Probably the original 20 year old stuff. It appears to be SCEET with an extra layer or fiberglass or asbestos on the outside. 

Anyone know where to find this stuff? I have looked everywhere and can't find it or don't know what its called. I asked my A&P friend if I can replace it with regular SCEET and he said "Mooney used that for a reason, so you should probably use the same stuff". 

thanks!

IMG_20200627_150616.jpg

Aircraft Spruce doesn’t have it? Someone can chime in but Skeet, Skat and there are a few more, anyway some hoses are for “positive” pressure And some are for “negative” pressure, be sure the correct one is used. I know of 1 NTSB report where the intake tube collapsed because the wrong one was used

Aircraft Spruce just has normal SCEET from what I can tell. Orange on the outside, without the fiberglass layer. Looks like the air/oil separator hose in the right hand side of my pic. Can't find this particular type--unless I am completely blowing it. 

I suppose all these air duct hoses are before the throttle body so all positive pressure, not under vacuum. Good point though, wouldn't want the hose to collapse under vacuum. 

I couldn’t locate the same material when I was looking a couple years ago. Purchased the “replacement” hose kit from laser but it did not have the fire resistant fabric coating on it. The pre made sections were also cut too short IMO so I ended up cutting my own out of sceet. I assume gee-bee will come out with a nice kit as he owns an ovation now. 

• Like 1

I sent GeeBee my hoses for my Ovation 1. He has the templates. The new ones he sent me back were very nice and I'd recommend them. We used the same material insulation over the bottom hose as indicated in your picture. Been working great and they look very sharp in jet black.  @GeeBee

Most if not all of that ducting are Mooney parts available from your favorite MSC or you can also mail order through LASAR. Here are relevant pages from the IPC for part numbers.

image.thumb.png.bf815f083bc6a765276d361ff50e23c4.png

image.thumb.png.741bb1b83bdf39af4ea3f361e77de2ec.png

image.thumb.png.1669cf7b319f2a25655786ae10bec73b.pngM

Most of the items highlighted in yellow with comments have alternate part #'s that your MSC will know about.

6 hours ago, MarkD34M said:

I sent GeeBee my hoses for my Ovation 1. He has the templates. The new ones he sent me back were very nice and I'd recommend them. We used the same material insulation over the bottom hose as indicated in your picture. Been working great and they look very sharp in jet black.  @GeeBee

Any pictures? I’m not having as good of luck with heat shielding as Mitch did. 

2 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

I ordered these just recently at annual for the following prices...factory pieces with heat shielding.  Summarizing @kortopates post above.

640001-047 (duct) - $69
640001-023 (duct) - $49
640001-041 (tube) - $73
640001-039 (tube) - $60

Wow, I am jealous how affordable the Ovation ducting is compared to some of the duct parts on my 252!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dogbocks said:

I suppose all these air duct hoses are before the throttle body so all positive pressure, not under vacuum. Good point though, wouldn't want the hose to collapse under vacuum. 

Seriously consider getting expert help (your mechanic), or at least a parts manual... :)

everything after the filter on my M20R is no longer positive pressure.... 310 horses trying to suck through a straw....

You still don’t want the hoses to collapse...

When they do... the engine fails to make full power...

This is when it will be helpful to remember how your Alt air system actually works...  :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3