My Thanks!

V1VRV2

I’ve been a members on different forums since 1997. Fishing, flying, soap making (yeah... making shaving soap in your kitchen is cool), cars.... etc. Mooneyspace users have been one of the most helpful group of guys and gals I’ve come across in any forum I’ve ever visited.  Many of you have reached out to me privately through PM and publicly answered my questions in my posts. Finding the right plane as a first time aircraft buyer is overwhelming. I absolutely couldn’t have made an informed decision on a Mooney purchase without you guys. Thank you all for your help and generosity. I have just signed a purchase agreement on a very nice 2002 Ovation 2. :)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Larry, your graciousness is appreciated so much in this time when even the slightest adjective misuse can set someone off, me included. Let me know if I can help in any of the process, from what limited exchanges we have had, it would be a pleasure to aid a class act such as yourself.

• Like 3

Congratulations!  Please post pictures!!  You and I are in a similar boat (proverbially). The differences I know of are you have more hours than I do and I married a CPA (who also runs an IT department now) so she sees my plane shopping as well as runs ALL the numbers.  

Shaving soap eh?  Badger and Blade or what?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Nick Pilotte said:

Shaving soap eh?  Badger and Blade or what?

Haha!  That was going to be my question as well...knowing of it from my straight razor addiction.  Do you sell the shaving soap you make?

Oh...and yeah...airplanes...  congratulations!

• Like 1

Haha! YES Badger & Blade! I started off with a simple recipe and a few months later it took over my basement! I was sending people free samples to get feedback and got rave reviews from some very respected members! My formula is amazingly slick. Xantham gum and is one of my secret ingredients. I don’t want to pay a perfumer to get the scent right. Scent is difficult and expensive to nail down. I do not currently sell it. Maybe one day! I’d be happy to add anyone to the list of free samples the next batch I make!

I will be forthcoming with details and pics as soon as I get my hands on it and it’s mine! Thanks to everyone again! I am very very appreciative! :)

• Like 1

Congratulations!!  Can’t wait to see the pictures!!  I’m sure you’ve probably discussed this with others but just in case - please make sure to have a thorough pre-purchase inspection done by a mechanic with good Mooney experience.  It will establish a good ownership  foundation and start your Mooney experience on the right foot!!  Very exciting - you will love the plane!  Go Mooney!!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, steingar said:

Being a practitioner of Origami I"m not one to cast aspersions.  I'd distill spirits, but I think it's illegal.  Too bad, I used to distill phenol.  If I can do that I can distill alcohol, which is way easier.

Those laws vary by state. It's usually legal to brew beer and ferment wine for your own consumption, and to share your liquid results, but it will generally create great ire and ill will from local, state and federal governments if you accept money when sharing--kind of like the FAA gets about being paid to fly someone around, except there is no license to take away so they substitute fines and incarceration instead. 

I'd not be surprised to find that it's also legal in many places to distill your own adult beverages, and illegal in many others. Do some checking before you start cooking, and be sure to follow all limits. Wine and beer are allowed on a gallons per year basis; spirits may be limited to such small volumes that it will be unattractive.

• Like 1

Distillation of alcohol for human consumption is illegal in the United States.  Los Federales gotta have their booze tax doncha know?  Fun fact, the excise tax on booze was the first in the US.  You can pretty easily get a permit to distill for fuel, but then Los Federales can visit your still whenever they want to make certain you aren't drinking it.  Penalties for illegal distillation can run up to 5 years in federal prison and a $10,000 fine.

6 hours ago, steingar said:

Distillation of alcohol for human consumption is illegal in the United States.  Los Federales gotta have their booze tax doncha know?  Fun fact, the excise tax on booze was the first in the US.  You can pretty easily get a permit to distill for fuel, but then Los Federales can visit your still whenever they want to make certain you aren't drinking it.  Penalties for illegal distillation can run up to 5 years in federal prison and a $10,000 fine.

Yep, murder, rape, pillage, destroy public and private property, no problem.

But, take away the Feds' MONEY and you're goin' down hard