FAA Over Reach?

GeeBee

3 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

That always works so well

While I haven’t needed to do it with the FAA, I did do it with the state of Arizona last year. They told me I had to re-register my airplane and pay the AZ state taxes because I spent more than 1 month there. 

calling the bluff works more often than you think. When it’s immediately clear early on you won’t deal with whatever BS garbage they send your way without a fight, the other side really doesn’t want to do the work to deal with you and the issue gets dropped. 

At the end of the day people don’t want to do a bunch of extra work, but at the same time be prepared for it to backfire. 

that’s my experience anyway...

1 hour ago, Bravoman said:

Wow! Glad to know about yet another “big brother “ that I’m carrying around with my phone.:angry:

We have tons of big brother metadata on our phones.  The iPhone setting is off unless you turn it on and install an app.  EU countries have used it successfully since we can’t seem to contact trace properly here, it might be an option for individuals willing- let’s not forget that most millennials and younger seem to Share pretty much everything including location with social media.  This is just one more thing.   The key is that it’s voluntary. 

17 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I was referring to what he said in February: "The virus is referred to as COVID-19 because there have been 18 other coronaviruses. Why do you think this is COVID-19? This is the 19th coronavirus. They’re not uncommon and is no worse than a cold.”

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I was referring to what he said in February: "The virus is referred to as COVID-19 because there have been 18 other coronaviruses. Why do you think this is COVID-19? This is the 19th coronavirus. They’re not uncommon and is no worse than a cold.”

Well, he mis-spoke about the first part. From my experience, he was right about the second part.

2 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

While I haven’t needed to do it with the FAA, I did do it with the state of Arizona last year. They told me I had to re-register my airplane and pay the AZ state taxes because I spent more than 1 month there. 

Ummm, the state of Arizona does not collect sales tax on airplanes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

Ummm, the state of Arizona does not collect sales tax on airplanes.

ummmm, I didn't say sales tax.  

Apparently there is a ADOT tax every year.  According to the state statutes (as described to me), if you have an airplane in the state of Arizona for some length of time, I forget what it is.

According to ADOT - (the last bit is the best bit)

Mr Calandro,
If your aircraft is going to be flying in and out of Arizona in the future, pursuant to Arizona Revised Statutes 28-8322, 8327 and 8336 a notarized exemption affidavit should be filed annually stating the number of days anticipated in Arizona.  (See Attached).

We are merely trying to enforce the statues without causing undue hardship on aircraft owners.

And my response -
This is a perfect example of an over-reach and money grab.  Potentially the most asinine, idiotic, ludicrous tax I have seen or heard of in a long time.

I don't plan on being in Arizona again in the near future, but you can be sure if I am, I will send you personally a detailed itinerary of every daily movement I plan to make in the state for you to review. I would hate to miss a payment of a daily pedestrian tax, or solar exposure fee.

This is my last correspondence,

Fuck off,
Chris of NY State.

I then got a letter saying the previous letter was sent in error and I never heard from them again.

If I got that letter from the FAA, I can assure you my response would have been in the same professional manner as the one above.

I would advise contacting AOPA, or I can offer you a great rate with my correspondence services.
Edited by chriscalandro
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

Apparently there is a ADOT tax every year.  According to the state statutes (as described to me), if you have an airplane in the state of Arizona for some length of time, I forget what it is.

If you’re in AZ less than 90 days there is no tax:

The estimated length of stay of my aircraft in Arizona during the calendar year will be (check one):

0 to 90 days (does not have to be consecutive) - no license tax charged

And, being registered in Arizona full time, the state charges me the exorbitant fee of $25/year for registration and license tax combined.

Payment is due on the last day of February. Please pay on or before the last day of February to avoid penalty fees..

License Tax: $20.00
Penalty:   $0.00
Storage: $0.00
Other Fees: $0.00
Previous Balance: $0.00
Total: $25.00

Edited by KLRDMD
  • Like 3

@M20F-1968, John, As an AME, has the FAA sent you a letter similar to the OPs AME?  Have you heard anything from your FAA office on the subject of Positive COVID tests?  Sorry to put you on the spot, saw on another thread you are an AME, making you our resident expert.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, takair said:

@M20F-1968, John, As an AME, has the FAA sent you a letter similar to the OPs AME?  Have you heard anything from your FAA office on the subject of Positive COVID tests?  Sorry to put you on the spot, saw on another thread you are an AME, making you our resident expert.

Thanks, I thought I recalled at least one AME on MS, I couldn't remember who though

15 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

Yes, the FAA sent out a similar message to all AME's.  I do not have it just now for reference, but there will be more guidance coming about COVID.

John Breda

Thanks John.  Will appreciate your insight as this situation develops.

12 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Every doctor I’ve worked with in the last few years gave me the impression that my health was secondary to extracting money from my insurance company.

Most physicians these days are employed physicians rather than physicians in private practice.   There certainly are those  that concentrate on how many patients they see a day and how much they can bill an insurance company.   I've tried to stay away from those both as a patient and as an employee.   There are  many physician employers whose concern is "how much money can we make off your license."   Those are the organizations that are forcing physicians  to see more and more patients and conduct shorter and shorter visits.  

I have tried throughout my career to make more more money by working more hours.   I can honestly say that I have worked an eight hour outpatient day in a 12 hour inpatient night,  mostly seven days a week for 15 of my 21 years of practice.   It's ironic that I'm posting this on many space  because it was the start of my aircraft rebuilt project they got me into working more hours.   I found that when I saw patients during the day,  I was able to  give them more time and feel better about myself because I worked more than two full-time job equivalents.  I needed to feel  that I offered something of value to each patient at the end of each visit.   Many physicians  simply go through the motions.    It is about making sure the patient has been heard and has been provided what they need at any individual visit.  The practice of medicine has become challenging  and even more challenging now with COVID.    I'm trying to do more and more things I have control over so i can see patients in a reasonable manner.  Patients need to be educated consumers and physicians need to support and empower patients.  That all takes time that many health care entities will not tolerate.

John Breda

• Like 10

Rules and FAA aside.

I have read that more than 3/4 of those diagnosed with Covid 19 show heart inflammation disorders weeks and months after the illness.  And blood markers consistent with as if they had a heart attack.  So I figure if you get this thing, to take it easy on yourself for months afterwards as you recover as if you are recovering from a heart attack.  If a person had a heart attack or any condition causing heart inflammation, it would be normal for the FAA to look for positive signs of recovered status.

From a JAMA study: https://www.emsworld.com/news/1224673/jama-three-quarters-adults-covid-19-have-heart-damage

The 100 study participants, 45 to 53 years old, had recovered from COVID-19. Participants' underwent MRI evaluation two to three months after being diagnosed with the virus, researchers said.

Sixty percent of the participants had evidence of ongoing heart inflammation on their MRIs that was independent of preexisting conditions or the course of their COVID-19 infection, according to the researchers.

Two-thirds of the participants recovered from COVID-19 at home, and 18% never had symptoms of the virus, the researchers said. Roughly half had mild to moderate symptoms of the coronavirus, they said.

4 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

Yes, the FAA sent out a similar message to all AME's.  I do not have it just now for reference, but there will be more guidance coming about COVID.

John Breda

Do keep us appraised, if you're comfortable interpreting the message or giving us your opinion.  It'd be good to have information instead of speculation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1980Mooney said:

And regarding Walgreens and CVS "don’t collect any information besides your name, address, birthdate"...  Here in Texas Walgreens collects that information from your drivers license.  So unless you have a fake ID, it's a safe bet that they know exactly who you are.  (even more so if you paid by credit card, ever previously purchased a prescription at either store or used your 'loyalty number" when paying!)  Walgreens and CVS report the test results just like the clinical labs, however they do not include all the detail on ethnicity, etc.  But their report of test results includes your identification. 

It must work differently in Texas than Florida.  They don’t collect any driver license information in FL.  I’m sure if they put in some effort they could identify you but they really only have your name and unverified address in FL.  When you get to the testing site you just hold your license up in the window of the car and they pretty much just see if your name matches. 

Until the FAA puts this in the Federal Register or publishes it as a NOTAM I haven't heard it.  The only time I see my AME is when I go for a medical, I get the bug I might forget to mention it.  He might forget I mentioned it.  Heck, if it's that bad I'll go to my doc and do the Basic Med.  He'd probably go for it, I think he likes the unusual, breaks up the monotony.  M20F-1968, I think you're really onto something.  I don't see many docs, but Mrs. Steingar and her kin do and did.  All their docs seemed rather miserable to me.

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Rules and FAA aside.

I have read that more than 3/4 of those diagnosed with Covid 19 show heart inflammation disorders weeks and months after the illness.  And blood markers consistent with as if they had a heart attack.  So I figure if you get this thing, to take it easy on yourself for months afterwards as you recover as if you are recovering from a heart attack.  If a person had a heart attack or any condition causing heart inflammation, it would be normal for the FAA to look for positive signs of recovered status.

From a JAMA study: https://www.emsworld.com/news/1224673/jama-three-quarters-adults-covid-19-have-heart-damage

The 100 study participants, 45 to 53 years old, had recovered from COVID-19. Participants' underwent MRI evaluation two to three months after being diagnosed with the virus, researchers said.

Sixty percent of the participants had evidence of ongoing heart inflammation on their MRIs that was independent of preexisting conditions or the course of their COVID-19 infection, according to the researchers.

Two-thirds of the participants recovered from COVID-19 at home, and 18% never had symptoms of the virus, the researchers said. Roughly half had mild to moderate symptoms of the coronavirus, they said.

Humm, I found that hard miles on my bike and skates hastened the recovery. My endurance was shot after the COVID, but after exercising till I was coughing up tons of phlegm, made me feel much better the next day. before the disease I could easily do 30 hard miles on skates. I actually went out while I still had the disease (early afternoon, nobody on the path) I had to sit down after 8 miles and catch my breath. It took about 6 weeks to get back to 30 miles. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Humm, I found that hard miles on my bike and skates hastened the recovery. My endurance was shot after the COVID, but after exercising till I was coughing up tons of phlegm, made me feel much better the next day. before the disease I could easily do 30 hard miles on skates. I actually went out while I still had the disease (early afternoon, nobody on the path) I had to sit down after 8 miles and catch my breath. It took about 6 weeks to get back to 30 miles. 

Good health is a good thing and I am definitely one to do everything I can to subscribe to that.  But this CV19 thing seems to knock some people down in a way that good health alone cannot absolutely protect.  Some people in poor health just get knocked over and that is where good health is something to bring to the fight.  But some people suffer from an overly active immune response that good health won't necessarily save you.

Here is a striking story where the entire woman's olympic rowing team was knocked to their knees by the infection that swept the team in March during their training camp at Princeton.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/24/sports/olympics/coronavirus-us-rowing-olympics.html

Note that some of the olympic rowers describe going out for a walk and having to turn around and go back in the door after 30 seconds.  Happily none of them were fatal and none permanently damaged so it seems.  Although at least one describes having the endurance of an average high school girl 3 months after.

I'm very glad you are fine N201MKTurbo .  This thing is serious business and effects each person quite differently it seems, with good outcomes sometimes even in the vulnerable populations, and bad outcomes in the healthy populations.  We carry on but not to get complacent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I used to approach illness just as you are describing - I had a bacterial pneumonia when I was 27 and it kicked my butt for sure.  (I wonder if that makes me more prone to this CV19?!).  I dragged myself back to full form in a matter of months just by kicking myself in the butt.  As you describe.  

I am not sure I would do that anymore after a scare as follows: I had a friend about 2 years ago who was about 9 years older than me and in excellent condition.  In TT I was doing 20:50-21:30's for 10 mi in TT's but he was doing high 21's and he was 2 age groups older than me!  He was several time NY state TT champ in age group.  He had a heart attack - which is still possible even if you are in top shape, and its a long discussion how that goes...I am not a doc and my laymen's understanding of how fit people can be prone to heart attack I think is correct but I don't have the language for it but anyway its not the point....it was partly a congenital thing.  Anyway he was fine and recovering but he had that kick your butt self back into shape attitude in his late 50's and against doctor's advice he got out there training hard on his bike just like 8 weeks after his heart attack and then he had a second massive heart attack and died.  That was a crushing blow because he was a fantastic guy but also because he was the picture of health and it really drove home mortality to me.  I had another friend about 10 years ago who was in his late 70s who had a heart attack and died right there on his bike in the middle of a triathlon - he crashed dead - meaning the had the heart attack and then crashed vs the other way around.  So I vowed that ok, I am old enough that yes I can train hard, but I do need to remember that recovery between bouts of exercise is important - but also especially when sick - ie don't train through a flu like I did when I was a kid (which was stupid and pointless then but I could take it) and when a proper illness arises of some kind - yeah take recovery seriously.  I don't know how old you are, but at 53, if I were to get pneumonia of any kind again, or CV19 for a proper infection (vs just asymptomatic) ...take it serious and ease back in.  Reading about the youngn's in the olympic rowing team and their road to recovery - this thing is for real.

My son is home from college and we are riding every day - well he is faster than me for real - but the old mean can still ride the wheel.  And I am faster than him on a scull - but that is technique rather than just fitness.

Skating 30 miles?  No kidding - five wheel speed - skate roller blades?  I used to do that back in the day - its how I met my wife!  But I haven't done it in years.

Edited by aviatoreb

14 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I used to approach illness just as you are describing - I had a bacterial pneumonia when I was 27 and it kicked my butt for sure.  (I wonder if that makes me more prone to this CV19?!).  I dragged myself back to full form in a matter of months just by kicking myself in the butt.  As you describe.  

I am not sure I would do that anymore after a scare as follows: I had a friend about 2 years ago who was about 9 years older than me and in excellent condition.  In TT I was doing 20:50-21:30's in TT's but he was doing high 21's and he was 2 age groups older than me!  He was several time NY state TT champ in age group.  He had a heart attack - which is still possible even if you are in top shape, and its a long discussion how that goes...I am not a doc and my laymen's understanding of how fit people can be prone to heart attack I think is correct but I don't have the language for it but anyway its not the point....it was partly a congenital thing.  Anyway he was fine and recovering but he had that kick your butt self back into shape attitude in his late 50's and against doctor's advice he got out there training hard on his bike just like 8 weeks after his heart attack and then he had a second massive heart attack and died.  That was a crushing blow because he was a fantastic guy but also because he was the picture of health and it really drove home mortality to me.  I had another friend about 10 years ago who was in his late 70s who had a heart attack and died right there on his bike in the middle of a triathlon - he crashed dead - meaning the had the heart attack and then crashed vs the other way around.  So I vowed that ok, I am old enough that yes I can train hard, but I do need to remember that recovery between bouts of exercise is important - but also especially when sick - ie don't train through a flu like I did when I was a kid (which was stupid and pointless then but I could take it) and when a proper illness arises of some kind - yeah take recovery seriously.  I don't know how old you are, but at 53, if I were to get pneumonia of any kind again, or CV19 for a proper infection (vs just asymptomatic) ...take it serious and ease back in.  Reading about the youngn's in the olympic rowing team and their road to recovery - this thing is for real.

My son is home from college and we are riding every day - well he is faster than me for real - but the old mean can still ride the wheel.  And I am faster than him on a scull - but that is technique rather than just fitness.

Skating 30 miles?  No kidding - five wheel speed - skate roller blades?  I used to do that back in the day - its how I met my wife!  But I haven't done it in years.

When I used to be a competitive speed skater we used to do training in the hills on the back side of South Mountain. A bunch of us were sprinting up this one hill when Randy sat down and said he felt horrible. He limped back to the parking lot and went to the hospital. He had a heart attack and ended up in the hospital for a few weeks. He hasn't skated sense. Luckily, he is fine. He was in terrific shape. He was one of the top skaters in the country in his age group (65 and older) He could beat most 20 somethings...

I'm the leftmost in the back row. Randy is just below me with the jean shorts.

predator speed skating club, inline speed skating,

57 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

When I used to be a competitive speed skater we used to do training in the hills on the back side of South Mountain. A bunch of us were sprinting up this one hill when Randy sat down and said he felt horrible. He limped back to the parking lot and went to the hospital. He had a heart attack and ended up in the hospital for a few weeks. He hasn't skated sense. Luckily, he is fine. He was in terrific shape. He was one of the top skaters in the country in his age group (65 and older) He could beat most 20 somethings...

I'm the leftmost in the back row. Randy is just below me with the jean shorts.

predator speed skating club, inline speed skating,

Dang, there are a lot of muscles in that shot! :)

FWIW, a good rule of thumb in medicine is that a lot of adult medical conditions like heart disease, strokes, and other such are about a half to two-thirds genetic, with the remainder related to the environment and lifestyle.  So while good diet, exercise and avoiding exposure to environmental risk factors is good practice and should be done, it's not automatically preventative for any one individual.  Not a broadly scientific statement, obviously, but I think it's pretty close for a lot of things.

• Like 1