Antonov124 in Sanford, FL KSFB

TonyK

The current google maps satellite view of Phoenix Sky Harbor has one sitting on the cargo ramp waiting for its next gig.   You can compare the size to the rest of the airliners and the AZ National Guard KC-135s on the south side of the field.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.433992,-112.0224883,1806m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Like 1

Just now, carusoam said:

Eric,

See if I got these right....

I put some blue arrows pointing at the various planes...

-a-

Yup, the big guy is the Antonov.   Airliners at a terminal, and KC-135s (essentially Boeing 707s) at the other two arrows.

The Antonov was coming to Sky Harbor and Mesa Gateway fairly regularly.   When it comes to deliver something, it sits until it gets another gig.   Apparently relocation is expensive, so it's cheaper to pay storage wherever it lands until they know where it needs to be next, so sometimes it sits for a while.   I've seen it sit at Mesa Gateway for a week or so at a time.  It actually parks on one of the three runways there, I'm told because it's too heavy for the taxi ways.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TonyK said:

Had a chance encounter with a Antonov on Saturday.  Those things are huge when viewed from the Mooney.

We went out and flew around for a bit and got to see it again while we were on final.

That's so cool that you got those vids.   Your timing was excellent!  ;)

My son works for the FBO on the field and has talked with the crew a few times and fueled them up for trips.  Interesting facts:  They don't leave the airplane when it is parked.  Meaning if they are going to be there for a few days they have their own food and sleep in it as well.  Fueling it is not much fun.  It takes 4 trucks to fill it which is a lot of back and forth to the farm.  They work in overalls and flip-flops which seems he though was pretty funny.  They use SFB because it is a 10k' runway in Orlando and is cheap and easy compared to MCO.  On one of their trips they were brining home appliances (ovens, washers, dryers and refrigerators) to Israel. 

Edited by TonyK
  • Like 2

That is a huge plane.   I saw the AN225 somewhere on my business travels a couple years ago (couldn’t get my phone out quick enough to snap a pic) while my commercial plane was taxiing.  It dwarfed the 747 that was taxiing by as well.  I wish I could remember where I was......