Show me your sexy hub caps!

9 minutes ago, Yourpilotincommand said:

lol, I don’t have hub caps, but want them. Please share pics of yours. Original, after market, show em off, thanks! ..and where did you buy them.

No hub caps, but tell me- do you have to remove them every time you check the tire pressure? Seems like a lot of trouble...

I am not sure where to buy them but LoPresti made the Hubba Hubba Hub caps.  They have a hinged opening to allow access to the airstem to put air in the tire without removing the hub cap. If you search Hubba Hubba Hub caps on Mooneyspace there is a thread about it with the Mooney Bravo.

I searched online for them and could not find them and Aircraft Spruce used to sell them but I could not find them on their website either.  Well....I guess this was not much help.:unsure:

• Like 1

They are for looks and keeping crud out of the wheel.  I had the flat aluminum ones that I assume are from the factory.  I landed one day and had it bent in half after a screw fell out.  I'm glad it happened on landing not take off.  Who knows what it could have hung up on if retracted like that.  I would choose one with a bevel that are less likely to bend if they catch wind.  I went with the hubba hubba caps as a replacement.  The little door to check pressure works ok.  They are probably the dumbest STC I have on my plane.  How a hub cap is a major alteration is beyond me.  Other than that and being expensive for what they are, they are working out for me.  

If I was going to have hub caps, I would only put them on the mains side facing out, for aerodynamics. Can you buy them individually?

As far as I know they don’t make ones for the outside of the mains that would be facing down with the gear retracted. But that’s only the little bit of info I know:) The LASAR hub caps are sold as a set. Two for the nose gear one side has a hole for the axle to go through and one on each of the main.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I assume these are just for looks.  Decorate the aircraft as it sits in the hangar.  Can't imagine taking money from the fuel kitty to do that.  I look for excuses to fly.  I work on the aircraft when it needs it.

Oh I’m sure you spend money elsewhere, but I’m sure it sounds cool for you to say it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a picture handy with them on, but I have the chrome ones from LASAR on my 1968 M20F.

I love them!

The line guys really love them too - I've lost count of the number of compliments I have gotten on them.

I'm sure they love my tips too. :)

• Like 1

Take a look at mine in my album. My hangar elf built them. As you can see, they have a pop-out plug, easily removable to check and add pressure. I will be glad to provide details of the construction, and presuming I am not overrun, could possibly be induced to turn out another set.

• Like 2

Don, Great to see you post.  Hope all is well!

I will take a picture of my moon discs next time I’m at the airport.  They are nice shiny ones.  I wrote the tire pressure inside.  I can remove two screws and loosen one and pivot allowing tire pressure Checking/adjusting.  Easy easy.