Any mooney owner in Monterrey, Mexico? Or south texas?

Kev4747

Hi everyone, probable future mooney owner here. I was wondering if there is any mooney owner based in MMAN in Mexico or nearby in South texas (KMFE, KLRD, etc).

I hold a PPL looking to buy my first single engine and mooney is right now my first choice , however I have the following questions:

1.- Is there a good mechanic nearby where you normally service it? 
2.- How does your mooney perform in high altitude areas like Zacatecas, Guadalajara or Toluca? Some people had advised me to get a C182 or C206 instead because of this but I guess I'm just already too in love with the M20

I would love to talk to someone who flies regularly within Mexico and maybe even (once COVID restrictions allow it) let me try the back seat since I've never been inside one and I would like to do it before investing time and money in serious prebuy search. 

Thank you

Kevin 

• Like 1

I live in Austin and go to MMAN with some regularity. I've taken my Mooney to MMGL and am going to MMMZ this week.

In order to safely and comfortably visit the airports on your list, you will need a turbo or you will be very restricted.

I've been told there's some good mechanics at MMAN, but I don't know of any Mooney specific.I fortunately haven't had to ask for one either. Austin is under 2 hours and has several mechanics available that know Mooneys.

Performance you'll need to look at the figures across the different platforms with the amount of weight you'll be carrying and your range needs. If you need full fuel and 4 big passengers coming out of MMTO, a Turbo 182 is probably a better choice.

22 hours ago, Kev4747 said:

Hi everyone, probable future mooney owner here. I was wondering if there is any mooney owner based in MMAN in Mexico or nearby in South texas (KMFE, KLRD, etc).

I hold a PPL looking to buy my first single engine and mooney is right now my first choice , however I have the following questions:

1.- Is there a good mechanic nearby where you normally service it? 
2.- How does your mooney perform in high altitude areas like Zacatecas, Guadalajara or Toluca? Some people had advised me to get a C182 or C206 instead because of this but I guess I'm just already too in love with the M20

I would love to talk to someone who flies regularly within Mexico and maybe even (once COVID restrictions allow it) let me try the back seat since I've never been inside one and I would like to do it before investing time and money in serious prebuy search. 

Thank you

Kevin 

I wonder, I talked to someone on the phone from Monterrey Mex about a Mooney not that long ago, I wonder if it was you. Perhaps not as I recall the person was considering an Acclaim but my memory is hazy. I've been too all those place and many many more in my Turbo 252/Encore. As mentioned above, you really need a Turbo for that and then its no problem. Although a low powered C172 as been in to each of those too, that's not my idea of fun and without the Turbo would require a lot more planning and precautions, and most of Mexico is up high on the plateau. I personally wouldn't consider a C182 a step up either. Whether you end up with an N registered or XA, XB registered Mooney will affect what your maintenance choices are in Mexico, but there are FAA repair stations down in Mexico and even CENAM too.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your advice. 

@kortopates it was probably not me who you talked to jeje, but then again thank you.

My regular mission will be flying only me and my girlfriend. 80% of the time to south Texas and the Mexican gulf coast (MMVR) to visit family. 

I believe that I, either Adjust my budget for a turbo, or go for a C or E keeping my ocasional trips to the places I mentioned (high elevation) by comercial Flying or extreme precautions. Now a K seems like a good option. Any thoughts on this? 

I'm inclined towards a N registered Aircraft for easier buy/sell process and more Mooney maintenance options; but this is another topic that I'm still doing my research on.

An M20K would suit your situation just fine. I took off in mine yesterday out of KLXV. It's the highest airport in the US with a field elevation of just under 10,000 ft and the DA was almost 12,000 ft. We were off the ground in 1900 ft and climbing out at 800 ft/min. 

I have a friend who has a Bravo and lives in Aguacaliente. He flies regularly to Austin, San Antonio, and other places in Texas. Send me a PM and I can put you in touch with him.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kev4747 said:

Thanks everyone for your advice. 

@kortopates it was probably not me who you talked to jeje, but then again thank you.

My regular mission will be flying only me and my girlfriend. 80% of the time to south Texas and the Mexican gulf coast (MMVR) to visit family. 

I believe that I, either Adjust my budget for a turbo, or go for a C or E keeping my ocasional trips to the places I mentioned (high elevation) by comercial Flying or extreme precautions. Now a K seems like a good option. Any thoughts on this? 

I'm inclined towards a N registered Aircraft for easier buy/sell process and more Mooney maintenance options; but this is another topic that I'm still doing my research on.

Kevin,

Your Monterrey to Veracruz example would work fine in a NA Mooney. MEA's are only upto 12K - requiring 13K if going IFR, and if IFR GPS equipped there is T route bringing the highest MEA down to 10K. And its doable non-stop. But the K would give you give you the ability to travel everywhere in Mexico - not just the low lands. Even though you have family to visit in Veracruz, I am sure you'll want to use your bird to go all over; especially given its expense to maintain it. I'd try to swing a K if there is any chance of doing so.

@Kev4747 I’m based at Weslaco, TX (KTXW) 15nm East of McAllen. Haven’t flown into Mex in years, so I’m no help there, I can say 182’s, 206’s @ 210’s are popular for getting in and out of the dirt strips down there. Shoot me a PM if your going to be in the area, I have an M20E which is a 200hp FI short body