KDAN or KMTV?

GeeBee

13 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

Now, who doesn't like their MTV??:D

I used to fly past it a lot, but never stopped. There used to be a diner there with a good reputation, no idea if it's still around or open now. 

Just now, Hank said:

I used to fly past it a lot, but never stopped. There used to be a diner there with a good reputation, no idea if it's still around or open now. 

I'm not quitting my day job, that's for sure!  (My post was, apparently, a poor attempt at humor)

1 minute ago, MikeOH said:

I'm not quitting my day job, that's for sure!  (My post was, apparently, a poor attempt at humor)

Nah, I thought about that every time I went by . . . . My wife even laughed the first couole of times I pointed it out.

The restaurant alone makes mtv the place to stop. As for the restrooms, I dunno, I go in, I make a peepee, I go out. That’s the best I can tell you. DAN is fun to fly into and you have a small chance of seeing some military planes flying in on occasion but between the two my vote goes for mtv.

Was at MTV a few weeks ago.  Beautiful airport, everything was green, mountains in the distance, the birds were singing.  Pull up to the fuel pump and the airport manager is likely to come out and fuel your plane.  The diner was open with outdoor seating. The runway had new painted lines and numbers.  Bet the restroom was clean, didn't check.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your recommendations. I dropped into KMTV Sunday morning. Great airport. Good runway, markings have been updated contrary to the AOPA guide. Nice folks who gave excellent service. Restaraunt was closed but looks great! The manager on duty, Gordon, is also a local corporate pilot. Gave me a great tip about getting a clearance. If you can get off through a hole, above 3000' go straight to Washington Center, 124.05, not through GSO approach and you will be routed direct RIC, not have to go through GSO's airspace.