Changing a main tire - video

4 hours ago, Fry said:

What is the more common mode of failure of tubes? Sudden deflation while landing, or you come to your airplane one morning to find a flat tire?

I am but a few data points, my experience is tubes usually fail quickly. They will tear where they got folded or around the valve stem. 

I still don’t know how they get wrinkles and folds. I’m positive they were in perfectly when assembled, but twice in 35 years I took them apart and found folds and wrinkles. 

• Like 1

Good video. A few pointers to add.

Consider using a Bonney wrench for the axle nut, they’re great for large sized nuts not requiring much torque.

The torque values you used don’t match the Cleveland maintenance manual for wheels and brakes, assuming it was for your E model.

The safety wire on the last bolt head is incorrect, you over twisted the length and had to undo a few twists, and the finishing wire should have passed under the bolt head to meet up with the wire passed through the hole in the bolt.

Clarence

CB5B64E5-D099-4FDC-A416-90205C9B4B8C.jpeg

4 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Consider using a Bonney wrench for the axle nut, they’re great for large sized nuts not requiring much torque.

I use my dad's old hand-me-down monkey wrench -- much prized by steam locomotive engineers. :)

Skip

• Like 1
  • Haha 1