Changing a main tire - video

I don't know if I've seen a Mooney specific one, but a quick search revealed this one that covers most of your bases.

You'll be money ahead if you change the tube and keep the old as a spare in the plane. Also do the bearings while you're in there and check your pads too.

Not much to it as Mooney uses standard Cleveland wheels and brakes. It's a good idea to let the air out of the tube before removing the axle nut just to be safe. Be sure to torque the wheel bolts properly and don't pinch the tube. And don't get the bearing preload too tight when putting it back together. The only Mooney-specific thing I can think of is on planes with the inner gear doors you need to keep track of the washer and spacer placement to preserve the gear door alignment. Everything is covered in the Service Manual.

Skip

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Missile=Awesome said:

What are cons in NOT replacing the tubes?  Tubes are PRICEY.  Why not replace when and if they fail?

I used to work at a maintenance shop attached to a flight school.  We replaced a lot of tires, but we reused the tubes.  After a few years, we'd replace the tubes also when they started to look fuggly.

The difference with our (non-flight school) airplanes is that most tires are only replaced every 5, 10, or 15 years or so.  By that point the tube might be in good shape, but the valve stem that is exposed to ozone, violet light, heat, etc. is what I don't trust.  And like Rich said, it's embarrassing when you can't taxi your airplane.  And if you have inner gear doors, you'll probably damage those, too.

• Like 1

Ya, I am not easily embarrassed.  I am just going to say that $400 bucks for tubes is ludicrous and I am NOT going to pay it.  If my tubes don’t look “fuggly” they are staying on the plane valve stems will be inspected and if not outwardly questionable “run on condition”...Point on the inner gear doors well taken.  Only bugger on the exterior is the right inner gear door so...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Missile=Awesome said:

Ya, I am not easily embarrassed.  I am just going to say that $400 bucks for tubes is ludicrous and I am NOT going to pay it.  If my tubes don’t look “fuggly” they are staying on the plane valve stems will be inspected and if not outwardly questionable “run on condition”...Point on the inner gear doors well taken.  Only bugger on the exterior is the right inner gear door so...

Who's charging $400 for tubes?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/michAviator2.php

• Like 1

Just now, EricJ said:

All right, you got me ;)  I need three tubes.  Once you add shipping and tax you are right up around $350 bucks...for inner TUBES!  Good Grief that is a lot of $ for inner tubes...

13 hours ago, Missile=Awesome said:

What are cons in NOT replacing the tubes?  Tubes are PRICEY.  Why not replace when and if they fail?

It's personal preference and risk tolerance. I touched down and my nose tube blew from the stem being weak. As you're barreling down at 80mph wondering when the nose is going to collapse hoping you can keep it on the runway, it may change your perspective.

Separately, when you're 1000 miles from home and can't leave because your loss of $100 tube and now have to pay for a rental car, hotel, mechanic, and possibly airlines for multiple people it's a drop in the bucket.

• Like 5

I had a tube blow, on a tire the MSC replaced without my permission during annual, otherwise I would have gone with airstops, but they didn’t replace the tube. Thankfully it was at my home airport.
My air hawks last long enough that when it comes time to replace, I will replace the tube.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Missile=Awesome said:

13 hours ago, Missile=Awesome said:

All right, you got me ;)  I need three tubes.  Once you add shipping and tax you are right up around $350 bucks...for inner TUBES!  Good Grief that is a lot of $ for inner tubes...

Let me make sure I understand this from a constructive standpoint...you'll protect $284.43 with a (fill in the blank priced airplane here) by saying you'll wait until they fail?

image.png.8aaa6c5f01f2e80326f08cf9fc8faa78.png

If you ever do experience a failure - which I hope you never do - I wouldn't want to add that damage history to my logbooks.

This isn't a car.  Part of proper aircraft ownership is knowing when to replace things proactively and when not to.  It's about risk mitigation.  Some things are more risk-averse than others.  Tires and tubes aren't on that list.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Missile=Awesome said:

The tubes are what matters. Get inexpensive airhawks and use the saving on tubes. Planes under 10,000# are a waste for expensive tires but good tubes will make life better. 

-Robert 

• Like 3

On 7/28/2020 at 2:38 PM, Yourpilotincommand said:

Is there a video on this? If not, I’ll make one to share. I searched, but unable to find one.  I have a flat spot that developed into cord starting to show. So... I’ll be preparing for this. Thanks!

YES. Please make a Mooney-specific video. I want to learn how to do that, because sooner or later I'll need it. And changing a tire should be straightforward, and is acceptable as owner-maintenance. I just don't know yet how to do it.

THANKS in advance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smwash02 said:

It's personal preference and risk tolerance. I touched down and my nose tube blew from the stem being weak. As you're barreling down at 80mph wondering when the nose is going to collapse hoping you can keep it on the runway, it may change your perspective.

Separately, when you're 1000 miles from home and can't leave because your loss of $100 tube and now have to pay for a rental car, hotel, mechanic, and possibly airlines for multiple people it's a drop in the bucket.

I try to look at ownership from the big picture, as you put it "drop in the bucket" perspective. It has resulted in me probably spending more on the plane, but everything is relative. I figure that I'll hop in the plane, spend $50-60 on gas to fly somewhere "just for fun" and then another $40-50 on a meal there, so keeping that in mind if I am looking at spending $2-300 on some kind of maintenance it shouldn't be a big deal.

1 hour ago, Missile=Awesome said:

O.K. I will bite the Bullet.  The air stop tube costs MORE than the Air Hawk Nose Gear Tire.  No one else finds that utterly ridiculous?

Last time I replaced the mains the tubes were almost twice as much as the tires. I put Air Hawk tires on for $79.95/ea but the only tubes Aircraft Spruce had with the 90° stem were Goodyear's at $148.99/ea. Haven't had any problems with them holding air, I think I add air about every 3-4 months when it drops from 30 psi to 29 psi, and that was almost two years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As we drift away from the original question [myself included] of any videos on changing main tires.....................I offer my opinion and my views as to where we have drifted.

As with oil/filter change and frequency thereof...................I view tire/tube with the same attitude..................both are relatively very inexpensive maintenance items with huge benefits.

With tires and tubes, how often do we change them?  Mostly not a lot.  So, it's not a frequent huge expense and again, the benefits of keeping both items in perfect condition far out weigh the many consequences of NOT.

Tires and tubes are some of the very most important items keeping your airplane from resting on the ground when you don't want it to, or where you don't want it to!  When deciding whether to replace a tire and whether to replace the tube, I don't even consider the relatively small dollar amount in my decision. 

I'll offer up a guess that even our Mooney CB Club President will agree with my views!!  :lol:

Hmmm.........not sure why some of my text is lined thru. :wacko:

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

Let me make sure I understand this from a constructive standpoint...you'll protect $284.43 with a (fill in the blank priced airplane here) by saying you'll wait until they fail?

image.png.8aaa6c5f01f2e80326f08cf9fc8faa78.png

If you ever do experience a failure - which I hope you never do - I wouldn't want to add that damage history to my logbooks.

This isn't a car.  Part of proper aircraft ownership is knowing when to replace things proactively and when not to.  It's about risk mitigation.  Some things are more risk-averse than others.  Tires and tubes aren't on that list.

Steve

Steve...I already had made the decision to change out the tubes as well as the new Air Hawks I had already purchased.  The price point is ridiculous...that is my primary point.  That said I have had a valve stem break off while airing and resultant expense of tire change in hanger...”I get it man”.  Just putting the exercise out on the forum for others to see and to reinforce the importance of rubber and tubes...I still think the price-point is bullshit.  These cost next to nothing to make and the pure profit to tire mfr’ers is MASSIVE IMO...Have a great day and I do appreciate your reply.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Missile=Awesome said:

Steve...I already had made the decision to change out the tubes as well as the new Air Hawks I had already purchased.  The price point is ridiculous...that is my primary point.  That said I have had a valve stem break off while airing and resultant expense of tire change in hanger...”I get it man”.  Just putting the exercise out on the forum for others to see and to reinforce the importance of rubber and tubes...I still think the price-point is bullshit.  These cost next to nothing to make and the pure profit to tire mfr’ers is MASSIVE IMO...Have a great day and I do appreciate your reply.

Gotcha...thanks for following up, as I may have mis-read.  Agree they aren't the cheapest on the planet...far from it, but a necessary evil.

• Like 1

With regard to the original post guidance.  The act of releasing air pressure in the tire is HUGE.  Split rims have tremendous ability to cause catastrophic injury/death.  Be careful when airing AFTER assembly as well.  If they separate they can kill.  MANY injuries and deaths from split rims (Ag/old trailers/vehicles).  As a Safety Consultant for a carrier we require commercial tire operations (when insured) to have a policy of NOT servicing split rims.  A cage to air tires is always a good idea.

I've had tubes that made it through 5 tires. I think replacing them on time is probably more prudent then replacing them with each tire. I would probably do every 3 tires or every 10 years which ever came first. Also, if you take the tire off and there is a fold in the tube, pitch it. YMMV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2